Dire Wolf Heavy Scout Titan

Joe

That has to be one of the cutest things I have ever seen :wub:

Reminds me of an animated emoji, gonna get me some of these just to paint up. Its so smol!!

Oooh, this could be fun, I may resurrect my plan for a cameleoline titan cloak with an urban camo.

I read that as Camomile at first and got really confused.

My Warhounds are very calm creatures.

Liking it may be good, but how many are actually going to buy it at close to Warlord prices if its resin :sad.:

I was hoping it would be about the same as the Asterius? They're about the same size as a warhound.

I can see two being my absolute limit. Maniple support is another issue, if they can simply take the place of a warhound, that's fine, if they need new maniples, then that will govern numbers.

If they're auxiliary only, that would be laaaaaaaaame!

Oh god no. The Asterius is on a 60mm base, the Warhound (and presumably this) are on 80mm bases, and this looks chunkier than a Warhound. I reckon £55 at least in resin.

Bases aside though, the acastus isn't too far off the Warhound body size. But this new one does look taller than the classic hound.

£55 isn't exactly priced to move. But after the Armiger prices, that wouldn't be a surprise either.

I at least hope you get all weapon options in one model...

As if AT stuff wasn't expensive enough as it is, now there's a whole new Titan and it's FW so will be about £50 for one of them. Oof. I keep looking at this game thinking it would be cool, then I consider just how much stuff you'd need to buy to play it, a lot of it being direct only and it just doesn't seem accessible. 

The thing is that it isn't actually expensive at all really. When (if?) the starter set comes back into stock, you can buy that from a discount retailer and have a completely playable 1200 point force right out of the box. Expanding that to 1750 points (which is generally the standard points level for pickup games and events) would only require like one box of Warhounds, or a box of Warhounds and a Reaver.

The game does get more expensive if you want to field Warlords as they do really need at least one gun from Forge World to work well. You can run them with the loudouts that come in the plastic kits but they aren't great.

But there's no requirement to field Warlords. Forces made up of primarily Reavers and Warhounds are very viable. And in fact, it's not necessary to expand up to 1750 points either. Games at lower points levels are just as good fun in my experience.

Now if you're saying that the FW stuff like the Asterius, Atrapos, and all that are expensive, sure they absolutely are, but they are very much optional extras. You can just ignore them really if you don't want to pay the crazy prices. As I say, you only really need resin stuff if you want to run Warlords (which in itself, as I said, is far from obligatory).

The Dire Wolf looks to me like it'll fall into this category too. It will be crazy expensive, but very much optional. In some ways this is a shame and it would have made more sense for the Warmaster to be expensive resin, and this odd thing to be plastic, as from a gaming perspective it will fit much more easily into standard games than the Warmaster does.

Edited by Gattopardo

As if AT stuff wasn't expensive enough as it is, now there's a whole new Titan and it's FW so will be about £50 for one of them. Oof. I keep looking at this game thinking it would be cool, then I consider just how much stuff you'd need to buy to play it, a lot of it being direct only and it just doesn't seem accessible. 

The thing is that it isn't actually expensive at all really. When (if?) the starter set comes back into stock, you can buy that from a discount retailer and have a completely playable 1200 point force right out of the box. Expanding that to 1750 points (which is generally the standard points level for pickup games and events) would only require like one box of Warhounds, or a box of Warhounds and a Reaver.

I absolutely agree with Gattopardo on this - in terms of cost:enjoyment ratio, AT is the best GW product I've found yet. Between discounted starter sets and the occasional bundle offer GW run (the Precept Maniple lured me in), I've spent remarkably little money on my 12 Titans. That said, the FW stuff for the game is pricey - I've avoided buying too much for my Warlords yet still have plenty of fun with them.

I think the (likely high) cost of the Direwolf and its (generally accepted) ugliness might lead to some interesting conversions, though. I've got a spare Warhound still on sprue (I wasn't sure what to do beyond three VMB/PBG ones), and am planning out ways to bulk it up a little, and mount an AdMech Onager Dunecrawler Neutron Laser on its centreline.

Yea, as others have mentioned it's super cheap to start and get to a "full" army size compared to 40k, aos, 30k or LOTR. The starter set is just such value.

Where prices rise is if you want to start collecting titans and expanding your maniple selection. Or buy forgeworld, because any AT stuff in resin is priced as if they're trying to recoup that starter discount in one shot.

Unlikely. It doesn't look substantially more like a Battletech mech than the Warhound already does anyway, and Dire Wolf isn't a particularly distinct name.

The lesson here is clearly that Battletech should adopt GW's naming style and call all their mechs :cuss like "Dircastus Wolvaricum." Then they'd be set for life. 

Edited by Shinespider

Unlikely. It doesn't look substantially more like a Battletech mech than the Warhound already does anyway, and Dire Wolf isn't a particularly distinct name.

Strong agree. I've been seeing a lot of folks claiming this is a copy of the BT Dire Wolf/Daishi, and while I can see some similarities... I think people are making explicit connections based on the name, and failing to pay attention to how much is significantly different vs what's alike.

Also, the Dire Wolf Titan only really resembles the Daishi Prime, with the vents aside the cockpit and 5-barreled weapon configuration in the arm mounts. Meanwhile, virtually any other configuration of the OmniMech is going to stray even further, especially with weapons in the RT/LT filling those vent slots. Victor Davion's Prometheus bears virtually no resemblance other than the sort of cowl on the hull and having reverse-jointed legs.

This is reminding me when there was this one guy at my FLGS in the '00s, who whenever Warhammer was brought up, wouldn't shut up about how much 40k Space Marines were a rip-off of StarCraft's Marines :facepalm:

Edited by LetsYouDown

If Dire Wolf isn't pretty distinct, how come myself, and a few others, immediately knew there was another bipedal reverse jointed mech with a forward mounted cockpit and side guns with the same name?

All i'm saying is that giving your bipedal reverse jointed mech with a forward mounted cockpit and side guns an identical name to an existing bipedal reverse jointed mech with a forward mounted cockpit and side guns is asking for trouble. As Letsyoudown says, all they had to do was give it a high gothic name like Lupus Irae and they're good. 

This model has been bugging me and I've just realised what it is.....  Its ED-209 from Robocop!

"You have 20 seconds to comply!"

That should be played on the vox-caster loud speakers as it guns down heretics :biggrin.:

(Edit - and I mean the original 80's Robocop!)

Edited by Cyrox

If Dire Wolf isn't pretty distinct, how come myself, and a few others, immediately knew there was another bipedal reverse jointed mech with a forward mounted cockpit and side guns with the same name?

A consensus? There's a ton of "this is a rip-off of _____" going on with this Titan, to the point that it feels obnoxious:

OZ2pym0.png?1

JhKqeOM.png?1

y3FHm0o.png?1

It turns out there are dozens of reverse-jointed, bipedal mechs with arm guns.

• 3 months later...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/08/sunday-preview-witch-aelves-spectral-hordes-and-the-defence-of-the-north/

IT'S FINALLY COMING! THE "DEAD" GAME LIVES AGAIN!

Edited by Dosjetka
=][= Added link. =][=

A consensus? There's a ton of "this is a rip-off of _____" going on with this Titan, to the point that it feels obnoxious:

OZ2pym0.png?1

JhKqeOM.png?1

y3FHm0o.png?1

It turns out there are dozens of reverse-jointed, bipedal mechs with arm guns.

They could at least use the original ED-209 for the example and not the :censored: that came from the :censored: remake that was total :censored:... 

Id have used the walker from Star Wars personally, could say the ED-209 unit was based off that... 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

It's good news that this thing is being released, and that you can get one with the neutron laser. I don't really care that much if they sell it with the volcano cannon as well or if that comes separately, because it's awful and a massive downgrade from a normal warhound with plasma and vulcan. The neutron laser is the interesting thing here.

I also think the model might be better than they've made it look... possibly. To me the real issue here is that tehy've posed it in such a square, static way. That makes it look like an object rather than a character. The great thing about most titans is when they're posed to look like like living things and this does not achieve that.

Worryingly, the fact that they've painted two of them with the different guns in identical poses (though both as Gryphonicus for some reason... whatever) suggests that you won't be able to pose them (boo!), and that they'll be packaged separately (whatever). So I guess I'll have to attack the legs with a fine saw and some pinning wire, as I often have with warhounds anyway.

I'm curious to see how it fits into maniples. If there's a way to get the things into a squadron or something like a Ferrox maniple then it could get quite nasty, as any boost to the strength of that neutron laser could make quite a difference.

I'm surprised they didn't announce a splatbook on Friday, but then again they've had Defence of the North models for MESBG released well over a year ago who are only now getting the splatbook which includes them. Might also be one gets announced at UK Games Expo? Here's hoping anyway.

I asked War Com directly if the Dire Wolf is one kit or two, and they confirmed it's two. I agree, the Neutron is the goodest boy here.

In terms of posability, I don't take a lot from the studio models, GW always do the bare minimum on posing and basing just to show the minimum that can be achieved. In the same way that they never clip the optional bits of plastic off kits like the warmaster or warbringer.

I asked War Com directly if the Dire Wolf is one kit or two, and they confirmed it's two. I agree, the Neutron is the goodest boy here.

In terms of posability, I don't take a lot from the studio models, GW always do the bare minimum on posing and basing just to show the minimum that can be achieved. In the same way that they never clip the optional bits of plastic off kits like the warmaster or warbringer.

Ok cool. I guess buy the neutron ones before they sell out, in that case.

I haven't got round to buying any Armigers yet so I'll put in an order on Friday morning. One of these things should be enough.