Dire Wolf Titan

apologist

Coo, a new Titan!

Article on Warhammer Community:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/01/24/when-warhounds-wont-cut-it-its-the-all-new-all-smashing-dire-wolf-heavy-scout-titan/

9RSHN8uW0RGjj59c.jpg

Mentioned as coming 'from Forge World later in the year', I would hazard a guess that it's plastic, but the material's not confirmed in the article.

+Edit+ Actually, that wording seems to have been used historically for resin kits only. Oh dear. 

+++

My instant reaction wasn't hugely positive, but the more I look at it, the more I find to like about it. I think it's just the Warhound head that looks a bit off to me on such a heavily-armoured chassis (though I can see even that has had some up-armouring). Assuming it is plastic, then the dull-as-ditchwater pose should be easy to fix

A lovely surprise. I've been really looking forward to new Titans for Adeptus Titanicus, and while this hasn't knocked my socks off, it's a fun design and fills a nice niche in the game. I can see these being considerably more fun to play with and against than the extremely small or extremely large releases of the past year.

Edited by apologist

New Titan Monday!!

34pFGRv0wUH5QTo1.png

Armaments are pretty interesting..the Neutron Laser bypasses voids (!!!) and comes with Shock (!!!!!!!!!) - just a reminder, that means that if it causes an effective hit, it also forces the target to suffer shutdown orders. If this thing can squadron and add strength to that neutron laser shot, this could be a huge counter to heavily-shielded titans like Warmasters.

The Mega-Bolter is pretty similar to the arm-mounted Vulcan on the regular Warhound, which is to say it's a great weapon on this platform.

My guess for this thing is slightly slower/fewer maneuvers than a warhound, same voids, maybe a reactor track that's once space longer, with heavier armor on the body. It'll probably sell for $80 for 1...so pour one out for all the Legio Audax players out there.

Yeah i really hope this is plastic, Resin would basically kill it stone dead for most people and i want AT to sell! :D It would also be a disturbing trend to see a _Titan in resin_ as possibly the only release for Q1 for GWs best game :( 

Bit of a shame if it lacks arm options, especially as the bolters dont match up well with the top guns wanting to stay a bit distant.

Still i think a centreline conversion for a plastic Warhound should be straightforward enough, i do like the smaller titans :) 

A lovely surprise. I've been really looking forward to new Titans for Adeptus Titanicus, and while this hasn't knocked my socks off, it's a fun design and fills a nice niche in the game. I can see these being considerably more fun to play with and against than the extremely small or extremely large releases of the past year.

I'm stoked. There were some rumors early last year that AT might be phased out along with Aeronautica, but over time those specific rumors have seemed more and more like bs, and this is probably the final nail.

Interesting that it might be fully resin. I was hoping these would be resin upgrades to the plastic Warhound kit or just fully plastic. Hopefully the legs are more poseable than they look, but I kind of doubt it. If these are entirely resin, then hopefully something with less of a niche role is coming in plastic not long after.

Speaking of role, this obviously works for Audax because it's a Titan they can actually take, but it has a few other neat synergies right out the gate:

1. Solaria can run these with Cameleoline and actually expect to snipe with them
  2. Tempestus can drop one of these, and potentially with Corrupt Titan upgrades that also make it harder to hit, or put out a command roll debuff aura
  3. This is also great for the powerful/maligned Vanguard Fighters custom legio rule

I don't see much use for a Reaver Volcano Cannon when PBGs exist on regular Warhounds, but the Neutron Laser is interesting. I don't think it's going to be cracking Warmasters that often, but there are certainly going to be folks stacking buffs and giving it a shot. Instead, I think we'll mostly see these disrupting Warhound squadrons and punishing over-extended Reavers. And it seems like it could be ok at sniping a weapon off a shielded threat now and then.

Also, it's nice that the carapace weapons have a full front arc. No corridor for these good doggos.

Edited by LetsYouDown

First - wonderful to see a new(ish) Titan and new weapons!

It looks a bit like the bastard stepchild of a Warhound and Warbringer.

The arm weapons seem a bit stubby, and the feet seem very narrow, but I'm sure we'll see aftermarket bits that will remedy those issues.

The Neutron Laser seems silly powerful, pretty much a must-take. I wonder if those are final stats...

Im not too much a fan of this model, but I already have a ton of ideas for how to play this beast. MIU link is gong to be golden with this, as it wont be hard to get a warhound or even a reaver within 30 in the first round. If you really want to play dirty, a first turn "War lust" and MIU link could have your Dire Wolf shutting down a titan on first fire, then again in the combat phase, which would be absolutely brutal to have happen. 

I think my biggest criticism of the model is the legs and arms. The Legs look like they were not made with a titan in mind, but rather are remixed from something in 28mm scale (it wouldn't look out of place with a sentinel cockpit honestly). I would be happy with regular warhound legs and a bit more armor, and the model would look a whole lot better. The arms annoy me, they seem like a sloppy afterthought, like the design team went "oh crap, we were supposed to put two weapons on it." I think moving the gun to either come under the chin or maybe in the flat space between the head and gun, then extending the carapace armor back the simi cover the main gun would go a super long way. Other option might be to just plop reaver shoulders into it and fit the guns a different way with actual arms might work, but I think itll just look clunky. 

All in all, I dont hate it, I just dont like it. Ill get one or two of the official model, but will probably try to design something a little cleaner to paint up for most everything else.

It’s growing on me, but I think I’d try and change the head. Also resin is a massive shame.

yeah that was my thought too, so I did a lil mockup to alter the head a bit:

https://twitter.com/TheManufactorum/status/1485642204634923011

See now I actually quite like that, just a leg repositioning would make that look great.

It’s growing on me, but I think I’d try and change the head. Also resin is a massive shame.

yeah that was my thought too, so I did a lil mockup to alter the head a bit:

https://twitter.com/TheManufactorum/status/1485642204634923011

See now I actually quite like that, just a leg repositioning would make that look great.

yeah I think part of my issue with the current head is that it's the same size as the warhound head, but I'm pretty sure it's further from the ground than the normal warhound's is so it looks a bit small/ flat by comparison?

Surely as soon as it says "from Forge World" it means it will be cast in Forge World resin. Not the best resin going but better than Failcast was.

To me it looks more like some sort of sentry gun rather than a Titan. Doesn't grab me like a normal Warhound.

Technically everything AT is from FW, though i may just be huffing copium :biggrin.: A plastic titan is always awesome, a Resin one is basically dead on arrival :sad.:

That said i think i can convert a regular warhound into a Dire wolf... Im sure some enterprising sorts will design a 3D print for that too if i dont.

Edited by Noserenda

Reminds me of a design I've done for Vanguard Miniatures a couple of years ago that got rejected. That said, the design was partly designed by the old school Knight Lancers and some Battletech stuff...

That exact head, appropriately re-scaled, might be just the thing!

BTW, did you do that with Blender, or something else?

Yeah, Malika, any chance you can put something like that up on Cults :biggrin.::wink:

This one will probably never see the light of day. :sad.: Thing is that it was designed for Vanguard Miniatures and includes some parts of which they down the rights. Also note that this one was designed in the scale/size of the older forumware Titans which were somewhere between the old school models and the modern stuff. A single resize to modern Titanicus scale would seriously mess up some of its detailing.

Reminds me of a design I've done for Vanguard Miniatures a couple of years ago that got rejected. That said, the design was partly designed by the old school Knight Lancers and some Battletech stuff...

That exact head, appropriately re-scaled, might be just the thing!

BTW, did you do that with Blender, or something else?

The head was done in SketchUp actually, been trying to do a version of that head which is more compatible with the Titanicus models.

Here it is on a Warhound body:

WhK9pHx.jpg

And here it is adapted to a Questoris body:

UT7HxJD.jpg

Technically everything AT is from FW, though i may just be huffing copium :biggrin.: A plastic titan is always awesome, a Resin one is basically dead on arrival :sad.:

That said i think i can convert a regular warhound into a Dire wolf... Im sure some enterprising sorts will design a 3D print for that too if i dont.

Everything AT is technically Forge World yes, but historically if they specifically mention something is coming from FW, it’s resin. 

Yeah, Malika, any chance you can put something like that up on Cults :biggrin.::wink:

This one will probably never see the light of day. :sad.: Thing is that it was designed for Vanguard Miniatures and includes some parts of which they down the rights. Also note that this one was designed in the scale/size of the older forumware Titans which were somewhere between the old school models and the modern stuff. A single resize to modern Titanicus scale would seriously mess up some of its detailing.

Well, that's a bit depressing. :/ Oh well, you can always start again? Right? :D

This thing is weird, both as a model and for the game.

I don't like how static its pose is. Titans are walkers and they look good when they're walking, in my opinion. Static ones look like objects rather than living things. And the detailing doesn't really quite match the other titans somehow. It basically isn't quite as good a sculpt, though it's not awful. It's probably not too hard to convert it to be plodding along, though I'd be a bit hesitant to chop up those resin legs. I imagine I'll end up getting one eventually. It also doesn't seem to actually come with the neutron laser unless they're very similar and I just missed that.

In-game a volcano cannon is just worse than a PBC (due to the PBC being too good), which means this thing kind of has less output than a standard warhound - with all the hassle of a draining weapon.

On the other hand the neutron laser looks pretty interesting. It's far from reliable but now and then you'll shut down an enemy titan. This could be particularly annoying if you can stick it mostly hidden behind a rock or something so it's hard to shoot, and give it first fire orders. S7 is vastly better than the S4 shock lance so you'll sometimes damage even the toughest titans.

I don't really know what all that means for the game. It's very nasty for warhounds and Reavers but not as likely to damage battle titans - though of course if it does the reward is greater. If there are ways to give it bonus strength, perhaps by joining squadrons, it'll be quite a major threat.