Best Units for each Shield Host

L30n1d4s

Given the specific fighting styles, relics, strats, and WL Traits available to the six Shield Hosts, what are you all finding as the best units to use within each?

I'll start with my own example here, Venatari (with Venatari Lances) from the Solar Watch Shield Host.

So, right out the gate they get an extra +1" to their Advance/Charge rolls and they get to Fall Back and charge as well. Couple that with the Solar Watch WL Trait that lets a nearby Core Infantry unit (which Venatari should qualify as) Advance and Charge... that means they now have a 12" move, a D6+1" Advance, and a 2D6+1" charge, giving them a minimum charge threat radius of 17", a maximum threat radius of 32", and an average charge threat range of 24".

If you think about them like this, it is like they are White Scars Bladeguard (which we all know are VERY competitive units), except with S6 MCed Power Swords, a Jump Pack (and built in Deep Strike), better durability, and better shooting (Assault2 S6 AP-2 Dmg2) thrown in to boot.

Anyway, I am excited to see what they can do on the table.

How about all the other Shield-Captains out there? What units are you finding perform well for your Shield-Host?

Edited by L30n1d4s

Here's another one:

6 <Dread Host> Aquilon Terminators (with Lastrum Storm Bolters and Solarite Power Talons, plus Misericordia).

So, this unit gets free rerolls to charge, which is great (especially for Deep Striking) and get 24 x S5 AP-1 shots in Rapid Fire range, which become AP-2 within 9".

Additionally, with the Dacatari Ka'tah activated, the unit gets 36 x S6 AP-3 Dmg1 attacks (with full rerolls to wound) and another 6 x S5 AP-3 Dmg1 Misericordia attacks.

Throw in the <Dread Host> Warlord trait that gives expoding 6s to hit (both shooting and melee) and a Shield-Captain for reroll 1s to hit and this squad will absolutely "mulch" through large infantry squads.

Additionally, against high Toughness units like vehicles or Monsters, you can use the "Slayer of Nightmares" Strat to give them both +1 to wound and full rerolls to wound in melee... against a unit of DE Talos, this unit would average 39-40 hits (remember, exploding 6s), 30-31 wounds, 23-24 unsaved wounds, and two dead Talos after their 5+++ FNP saves... throw in the Misericordia and Lastrum Bolter shooting and you can potentially take down all three Talos in a single turn.

I wonder if people are underestimating the Solar Watch in the OMG! stuff in the other Shield Host bits.

Even though they lost ObSec, the Vertus Praetors can be a useful denial unit, given the right tools. I'm warming to them again, even though I never run more than a single unit. Something stupid like....

Outrider Detachment - Solar Watch

- Vertus Captain with Salvo Launcher and Relic Bike (CP Regen, 5+++, Fall Back and Charge)

- Blade Champion (kit out as you wish)

- 2*3 SpearGuard as Troops for ObSec

- 2*Contemptors with Melta as Elites

- 2*4 HBL Vertus and 1*4Salvo Vertus in Fast Attack

Given the right Stances you could advance the 13 Jetbikes and fire a world of pain on pretty much anything.

Then, the next turn, charge and finish off (or tangle in combat) whatever is left.

Here's a Shadowkeepers specific one (that I've mentioned elsewhere I think?):

Allarus Shield Captain

• Obliteratum

• Guardian Spear

• Bane of Abominations

• Lockwarden

• Victor of the Blood Games - Champion of the Imperium

This dude gets to fire his Relic each turn with a rerollable 2+, wounding on a 2+ against all characters, monsters and vehicles T9 and below and ignores Invulnerable saves against characters to boot.

What's more, he gets a 6" Heroic Intervention and can contribute his Bolter fire to any targets too (wounding those characters, vehicles and monsters with the benefit of +1) and being a Shield Captain is powerful in melee anyway.

I like the Shield-captain on Dawneagle.

- Solar Watch shield-host.

- Tip of the Spears.

- audacious offensive.

- Victor of blood game : superior creation

- Gold Aquila.

He can advanced (7") and shoot.

Reroll tch and wound, fallback and charge again...and if you put Allarus on 6", they can advanced and charge, fallback and charge...