Looking for some Generic pointers.

Emurian

Hey guys,

I have a somewhat broad question, recently I started stockpiling on DG. So far I fixed the following:

-Dark imperium set painted
-4 additional plague marine squads
-3 plagueburst crawlers
-3 Mythic blight haulers
-1 Foetid Bloat drone
-1 Mortarion
-All characters
-10 blightlord terminators
-9 Deathshroud terminators

All of the above will be painted on short notice or will be painted as a commision that I arranged. It leaves me with 30 pox walkers in the end that I will slowly paint over time I guess.

Now on to the question, from the research ive done the characters of DG play a pretty big role in terms of acting as support pieces. Can anyone give me some pointers of units you tend to keep together?

For example, with marines I tend to keep a dreadnought near my hellblasters to pop the ''reroll 1's to hit'' stratagem.  Apothecary floats between Bladeguard veterans and Terminators. Tigurius tends to stick near a Redemptor dreadnought to assign -1 to hit on him and bump his T to 8 with a 5++. 

I do not really have this feeling yet for DG. Ive watched a couple of battle reports but it feels like there is a difference in playstyle depending upon the channel you watch. Its therefor somewhat confusing what the optimised synergy is.

The tallyman for example seems to float either near a blightlord terminator squad or plague marines.

Something I also noticed from some lists is that people run a squad of 3 mythic blight haulers while they have plenty of slots to assign 1 per slot. Whats the reason for this ? As it seems to me that splitting them would be better to prevent your opponent having an ideal AT target.

Whats the general game plan when running Mortarion? Do you simply rush him forward to the middle of the board? Or is there an actual merit of being somewhat cautious how this dude connects with the enemy line? 

Reason of MBH run as 1 unit:

"Use this Stratagem at the start of your opponent’s Shooting phase. Select one MYPHITIC BLIGHT-HAULERS unit from your army. Until the end of the phase, each time an enemy model makes an attack with a ranged weapon against that unit, reduce the number of attacks made with that weapon by 1 (to a minimum of 1). If that unit contains 2 or fewer models, this Stratagem costs 1CP; otherwise, it costs 2CP."

You basically have our whole range!! :)

It's a good basis of different lists.

I for one played terminator heavy with a block of 10 blightlord getting buffed from a DP, tallyman with relic, plaguecaster spells and with a blightspawn at it's core. This brick then walzted up the centre of the board to contest, while my poxwalkers and spawn tried to fight for side objectives... that was before, now after the points raises in the new CA, my list will have to shave 80 points and those 80 points might have to come from my LoV that I quite like.

At the moment I'm contemplating daemon engine lists but those don't really have any synergy with eachother apart from being moderately fast and tough.

DG is in a bad spot at the moment and I think we have to wait untill another wave of points changes actually makes plague marines useable...

There is some guidance in the Unit of the Week series. Which is pinned in Deathguard Resources.

Personally I'm a bit of an odd ball in the fact I use a lot of plague marines. My advice is tailor a unit to a particular purpose and try not to get distracted from that.

But then I don't usually play competitively and my main opponent still thinks that primaris are heresy

Ive been observing the unit of the week posts in this thread. I agree that the current pt changes are off. feels like a rebalance that should have been implemented 2 months after release of the dex IF the data showed said units are dominating the meta.

TBH I say F the latest chapter approved. Its just a piece of evidence that GW are either incompetent or being behind 6 months on schedule releasing these books.

Im gonna bring up said point in my own group and state im disregarding the latest chapter approved all together. My trust in GW has long evaporated over the years. Luckily my group plays together for roughly 18 years so were far more open to discuss and fix things on our own. Were not interested in tournaments anymore since GW came with the bs that 3rd party bits are not allowed =/.

I do want to run my plague marine squads as 7 mans at all time for fluffrsns. The flail is the only option that stands out to me. Slap a powerfist on the champion and see if it feels like a throwback to 4th edition where I loved running PM.

Which stratagems do you guys use on a structural basis? With ultramarines I burn 2 cp a turn for 2x bolter shots with my intercessors. I also keep 2 cp reserved to pop wisdom of the ancients at least twice in my game. Other stratagems are more situational (transhuman for example)

Regarding DP do you guys prefer ap 1 and 2 become 0 or only wound on 4+ as a warlord trait?

Edited by Emurian

Regarding DP do you guys prefer ap 1 and 2 become 0 or only wound on 4+ as a warlord trait?

I've done the ap reduce and 5+++. The wound only on 4+ is wasted on a DP I feel, with 6 toughness already that's only reducing S7-11 chance to wound by one and S12+ by 2. The ap reduce one with the 2+ armor relic stacks nicely. 5+++ handles a little bit of everything. Just my opinion. It's not often my DP is getting hit with high strength stuff, alot of time he is fighting other characters that are only S4-6, maybe the occasional S8 thunderhammer.

As it goes for DPs i'v3 mainly used warp insect hive and my pronce was a boss. Full rerolls for both hits and wou dd makes him real killy!

Post CA I'm going to try a daemon engine list with a dp that uses supparating plate relic and the mini transhuman WL trait. Makes him less killy but more tanky for sure.