Unit of the Week: Daemon Prince

Wolf Lord Loki

One of our best beat sticks. Most of its weapons are in the D2 "kills a space marine outright" catigory

They were one of the Lord's but I don't recall if they were freed from that restriction.

Only limited weapons:

Talons (give extra attacks)

Sword

Axe

Plague spewer

And they can have wings for extra mobility although they are swifter than your average plague marine without them.

Potentially lots to talk about:

Mixed of weapons- what weapons are good for what target?

What warlord traits work well?

What psykic power do you choose?

D2 talons was popular in 8th, now -1dmg is everywhere(including ourselves, of course), talons hit like noodles. Dmg3 weapon is must. Sword may slightly better than axe since there are some annoying "ignore -1 and -2" tricks, and s8 is enough to go through ramshackle.

I always field a prince, with sword and wings. I give him Revolting Resilience for 5+ feel no pain and Suppurating  Plate for 2+ armor save. I also give him the Miasma of Pestilence psychic power for minus one to hit. Overall trying to make him a tough as possible so I can get as many rounds of carnage out of him as possible.

I like to send him up the board with two bloat drones and a rhino full of plague boys. The prince and drones fly into combat, tarpit and chew through anything. I then use the marines in the rhino to occupy an objective and provide fire support.

The sword is definately the best weapon option now I feel. They are S8 and with the minus -1T contagion are wounding T8 on 3's. Talons suck now that they lost an AP and don't get 3 extra attacks for two talons and just get 1 each (the DP is better overall though and went to 6A from 4A +Hateful Assault). Talons were the best in 8th I feel, but giving the sword an extra strength and giving the DP the extra attack baked in made the talons less useful and the other weapon options better.

I do think it's silly that Daemon Princes only have 5++ and not 4++ though (non Tzeentch ones that is). Chaos lords must be throwing away their sigil's of corruption when they ascend hahaha.

Overall a great unit though. I can see why they limited them to only one per Detatchment.

I think the sword is essential, to hit S8 D3, Suppurating plate is also great for more protection - the WLT Rotten Constitution paired with suppurating makes him hard to shift outside mortals - T8 is a great break point, and 2+ sv ignoring ap-1 and -2 is insane. 

Wings I am undecided on. They're expensive for such little gain. Your prince may be fine walking, +/- Deathshroud, though this depends on how terrain dense your board is, FLY might be the deciding factor. 

I think the sword is essential, to hit S8 D3, Suppurating plate is also great for more protection - the WLT Rotten Constitution paired with suppurating makes him hard to shift outside mortals - T8 is a great break point, and 2+ sv ignoring ap-1 and -2 is insane. 

Wings I am undecided on. They're expensive for such little gain. Your prince may be fine walking, +/- Deathshroud, though this depends on how terrain dense your board is, FLY might be the deciding factor. 

In 9th look-out-sir mechanics, running a character forward and left companions behind = suicide.

IMO wings are more ultility than offensive. e.g. A plane fly nearby and need to be removed asap. Taken a flying DP you could kill it easily, but if it is a walking DP, then you may need to use your best guns to shoot it in shooting phase.

In 9th look-out-sir mechanics, running a character forward and left companions behind = suicide.

Good job I never advocated doing that then, right? As above, I said it depends on terrain density and if you have deathshroud with him. Lots of places to hide = can't be shot. Deathshroud nearby = can't be shot...and again as I said, if you need something with FLY to deal with planes etc, then that would be the deciding factor.