New custom Septs rules

Cyrox

I am honestly for once not that impressed with the custom traits. The three big septs and their abilities are just so much better. I will have to take some more time to look more closely at the options. I will need traits if I ever decide to run O'Rally again. Off the top of my head though, I like the Borkan trait of -1 to wound up to strength 7. For me, the vast majority of my opponents are marines, death guard and necrons so it will go a long way to making my units much tougher against the majority of their troops. I will have to hunt around for a second nearby trait for Kelshan.

I am honestly a little at a lost as to what to pick now.

My Tau are focused on Stealth Suit based lists as the XV15 are some of my favorite tau models. Previously I used Hybridised Weapons and Up-gunned to make the Stealth Suits more effective, allowing them to stay safer with increased range, and the ap made the burst cannons good.

Not sure if any of the new ones are that great for a Stealth focused army, nothing really suggest itself so far to me.

I am honestly for once not that impressed with the custom traits. The three big septs and their abilities are just so much better. I will have to take some more time to look more closely at the options. I will need traits if I ever decide to run O'Rally again. Off the top of my head though, I like the Borkan trait of -1 to wound up to strength 7. For me, the vast majority of my opponents are marines, death guard and necrons so it will go a long way to making my units much tougher against the majority of their troops. I will have to hunt around for a second nearby trait for Kelshan.

It's -1 strength to the attack, not wound. Big difference. Means against some weapons it will have little effect however for some it will matter a lot. Lasguns vs. Crisis suits is a big example, reducing lasguns to strength 2 vs. suits means they wound on 6s but reducing a bolter from 4 to 3 means nothing.

It will take a little shaking out but there are some winners and losers in there, nothing amazing immediately but to be honest while bork'an is taking the show a lot of the relics and traits specific to other septs aren't as stand out, with precision of the hunter being generic and the other 5 WL traits being decent picks as well you aren't really punished for going custom. I could easily see the "Play their part" trait become something to keep an eye on. While ObSec isn't something hard to get in Tau, Knights already showed how massive a deal it is to have ObSec on bigger threat units that can take hits far more readily and being able to count as extra models also opens up the fact that killing enemy models is far more painful for them (after all, they need individual models to get their count up, your 2 Crisis suits toe-tapping the objective count as 6 alone despite being part of a squad of 5).

Codex still isn't out so I wouldn't say anything is out of question yet. Never know, Kroot spam could be the next hotness!

The -1S trait works best on Stealth suits.

It has an effect vs S8, S5, S4, S3. Only vs S7, S6 it has no effect.

Basing this on a review video, but I think the -1S for attacks against Battlesuits is S7 or lower, a bit like the Ork Ramshackle.

Aye, you're correct. 

The big takeaway from it, and the main purpose of it I believe (since S6 is rare) is so Heavy Bolters across so many armies aren't wounding on 4's.  Means your crisis suits are not getting two-shotted quite as easily with needing a wound of 5+ instead.

Edit: OH! And fun side thought I just realized, means HB's are only wounded stealths on 4's instead of 3's. As well as anything T8 on 6's instead of fives, thought the T8 is rarer.

Edited by Dark Legionnare