Making Rotor Canons work?

Pretty simple really...has anyone figured out a way of making Rotor Canons work as an option in Legion lists, outside of Thousand Sons?

Of course Thousand Sons rule supreme with their lovely shredding ammunition, but Rotor Cannons tend to work well whenever you can somehow get  'Prefered Enemy'  for the unit wielding them. Alpha Legion with Alpharius on the table, Ravenguard with Decap Strike etc.

Divination Psykers come to mind, utilising 'Prescience' and 'Misfortune'. Is it worth the cost ? Nope. Is it fun ? Well, yes.

Vorax attached to a Praevian & using bio-corrosive ammo (again, especially Alpha Legion, since Battle-Automata gain Prefered Enemy).

That's what comes to mind from the top of my head.

But overall, Rotor Cannons are a subpar choice, except when engaging toughness 3 enemies.

EDIT:   Oh, Sons of Horus come to mind, with 'The Long March' RoW. Relentless works nicely with Rotor Cannons. 

Edited by Unknown Legionnaire

Pretty simple really...has anyone figured out a way of making Rotor Canons work as an option in Legion lists, outside of Thousand Sons?

I quite like the idea of making them Pinning (possibly with shell shock too). Turn them into something of a suppression weapon, rather than necessarily making them more killy.

Of course Thousand Sons rule supreme with their lovely shredding ammunition, but Rotor Cannons tend to work well whenever you can somehow get  'Prefered Enemy'  for the unit wielding them. Alpha Legion with Alpharius on the table, Ravenguard with Decap Strike etc.

Divination Psykers come to mind, utilising 'Prescience' and 'Misfortune'. Is it worth the cost ? Nope. Is it fun ? Well, yes.

Vorax attached to a Praevian & using bio-corrosive ammo (again, especially Alpha Legion, since Battle-Automata gain Prefered Enemy).

That's what comes to mind from the top of my head.

But overall, Rotor Cannons are a subpar choice, except when engaging toughness 3 enemies.

EDIT:   Oh, Sons of Horus come to mind, with 'The Long March' RoW. Relentless works nicely with Rotor Cannons. 

See, this is what I thought. But as an Ultramarines player, I don't really have many options. Really like the idea of a Tactical Support Squad with them, but seems like a waste unless I am facing Militia.

I quite like the idea of making them Pinning (possibly with shell shock too). Turn them into something of a suppression weapon, rather than necessarily making them more killy.

As a Blood Angels player, I like this line of thinking because our default option are our assault cannons, which are quite killy. Having another option that offers an interesting tactical alternative would be welcome, especially if our Blood Angels models can run this alternate option if they're already modeled with rotor cannons as a stand-in for the assault ones.

Edited by Cris R

Counts as assault cannons for power armoured BA's ? 

I'll laugh if FW gave BAs insane access to assault cannons to move their inventory of rotor cannons or reuse the molds for models like the Blood Angels Leviathan.

I didn't like how rotor cannons looked so I just made my own assault cannons using bits from the crimson paladin's kit as well as the cataphractii assault cannon kit. Not cheap but I used the bodies for something else anyway.

As far as rotor cannons are concerned, they're in a rough spot but they're free for support squads. Maybe give them shred to help with that str 3? Rending would be too OP imo when you're laying down 30-40 shots in a 10 person squad. Shred would make them pretty dangerous.

Edited by Spagunk