New Custodes/Talons of the Emeperor units

I thought I'd create this topic to get a collective feel of what we community would like to see introduced in a new iteration of Codex Custodes (or Talons of the Emperor proper), complete with new toys and thematic units to play with. Note this topic is not about changing existing rules, whether we're happy or not.

The way I see it, there are 3 possibilities of units that can added to the Codex and maintain good theme. The Horus Heresy Legions card game is good inspiration for some ideas, particularly Sisters, but our imagination works too :)

• Adeptus Custodes

• Sisters of Silence

• Agents of the Throne

Starting with the Custodes:

A light, fast transport. Pretty easy really, so a swift transport that can move small units about, to help with objectives. My gut tells me only 3 Custodes models in the unit, but perhaps 4 if we need a character with them. The rules can simply be "a unit of 3 Custodes infantry models +1 Custodes character.

Ephoroi. Lighter armoured Custodes (3+ or even 4+ save) with cloaks to hide them away. Personally I'd give 3+ save plus infiltration to the unit, but I can see an argument for 4+ save plus something like "can only be hit on a 4+ by ranged attacks" due to the cloaks. Maybe even 5+. They can be small units, with new weapons, explosives to simulate their infiltrating nature (Genestealer Cult theme?).

Alternatively they can small units of Assassins, designed to spike weapons teams and support and characters. Give them sniper rules and a new ranged attack.

Sisters of Silence

Cyber-Jackals are an awesome idea - chained cyber hunters designed for running down rogue Psykers. With handlers preferably. Lighter, swift beasts that have hunting mechanics suck as marked units.

• A fire support squad, perhaps inspired by the Interrogator squad. They seem to have some heavy duty machine gun with a large barrel that is either a Grenade Launcher or perhaps can be some sort of harpoon or shotgun equivalent. I like a harpoon/wire style weapon that perhaps launches some sort of barbed wire net to restrict movement and cause problems perhaps with hitting with shooting attacks. Tanglefoot grenade launchers is another positive.

Heavy armoured squad - 2 wound Sisters for the win. Give them something like twin linked assault Shotguns. Because that would be cool

Hehe ive run a few topics on this in the past but broadly on those three fronts:

Custodes: 

Agreed on the transport, id probably go for the Talion Gunship that has popped up in a few novels as a flyer with a decent armament and can carry any Talon in some combination.

Ephroi is a good idea too, id certainly want some unit outside the current paradgrims for Custodes infantry.

Id also quite like a modern, dynamic plastic Custodes Contemptor, bring in the Forgeworld armaments too potentially but the main thing is to have a cool centrepiece dreadnought rather than a tacked on or resin one.

Sisters:

I could add a lot, ive written a Codex's worth :D 

Pursuer Cyber jackals is a solid choice, it gives a different, possibly speedier melee unit with some special weapons, probably with some native outflank, probably a more anti horde loadout compared to Executioner blades.

Jetbikes would be my second choice as opposed to conventional heavy weapon troops, a paramilitary force might focus on speedy deployment of the bigger guns. In common with more modern, heavier bike loadouts id look for some nasty melta and possibly a webber option to net fleeing psykers? 

Oblivion knights as some terminator variant would be cool, mostly as GW is not great at exo armour :D Shotguns could be cool though some horrible needler gun could be better :D Definitely, 100% huge axes though! 

Imperial Agents

Concepts are good but honestly i much prefer agents as its own codex full of Agents Of the Imperium or vanguards like Rogue traders got in WD. That said, I have some black ship troops made and keep meaning to get bound psykers built for my sisters so i would hardly object lol.

I got some of the Sisters Exo suits for Christmas actually and rather than return them built an Extinction Cadre based on some of the rules i was writing up. Only got one photo online and the rules need rejiggling for the new codex but i hope this paste works...

Heavy Support

13 Power

Extinction Cadre

NAME

M

WS

BS

S

T

W

A

LD

SV

Extinguisher

8”

2+

3+

2+

This unit contains 3 Extinguishers. They are equipped with: Bolt pistol, Needle Cannon, Executioner Greataxe, Extinction Grenade launcher.

WEAPON

RANGE

TYPE

S

AP

D

ABILITIES

Bolt pistol

12”

Pistol 1

-

Executioner Greataxe

Melee

Melee

+4

Each time an attack is made with this weapon, subtract 1 from the to hit roll.

Proteus Neuro flail

Melee

Melee

User

Each time an attack is made with this weapon make, 3 hit rolls instead of 1

Extinction Grenade launcher

24”

Assault 2D3

Blast, When resolving an attack made with this weapon against a PSYKER or DAEMON unit, a hit roll of 6+ inflicts a mortal wound on the target and the attack sequence ends.

Needle Cannon

36”

Rapid Fire 3

A Needle cannon  always wounds on a 4+ unless the target model is a VEHICLE

Heavy Webber

16”

Heavy D6

This Weapon automatically hits its target. When making a shooting attack with this weapon, use either the Strength or Toughness characteristic of the target to determine the wound roll – whichever is lowest.

Compression Heavy flamer

18”

Heavy D6

This Weapon automatically hits its target

Multi Melta

24”

Heavy 2

D6

Each time and attack made with this weapon targets a unit  within half range, that attack has a Damage characteristic of D6+2.

WARGEAR OPTIONS

• Any Extinguisher may exchange their Executioner Greataxe for a Proteus Neuro flail

• Any Extinguisher may exchange their Needle Cannon for a Heavy Webber, Compression Heavy Flamer, or Multimelta.

ABILITIES

Psychic Abomination, Witch Hunters, Ex Oblivio

Voidsheen cloak: This unit has a 4+ invulnerable save

FACTION KEYWORDS

Imperium, Astra Telepathica, sisters of silence

KEYWORDS

Vehicle, Oblivion Knights, Extinction Cadre, Core

The Idea being these and sent in when a rogue psyker capture goes wrong at the Sisterhood needs to go scorched earth, or to take the battlefield proper, obviously based on the SoB rules but i hope tweaked sufficiently.

51793823317_7f379368f4_k.jpg267726040_10159777745380797_4228124375305232398_n by Noserenda, on Flickr

Looking at it i actually have a bunch of new unit ideas built on Flickr if folks are interested, feel free to click back through but i wont just drown the thread in random pictures :biggrin.:

Edited by Noserenda

Oh I can see pictures all day. You guys are very talented.

I think I could get on board with an Imperial Agents Codex.

@ Noserenda: I'll check out your DIY stuff when I get home, sure it's very good. Only thing is you've used black text which makes it hard to read on the forum.

Custodes:

- (Unlikely but fun - Valdor's return as the King in Yellow who takes up his Captain-General mantle again - LoW)

- It would be cool instead of "Captain-Commander" to have Tribunes as a separate different HQ/LoW unit 

- Tribune Colquan as a named character 

- Lockwarden Borsa Thursk as a named character instead of just a Warlord Trait for Shadowkeepers 

- Ephoroi as either a unit mentioned above, or equally could be a Shield-Host rule-set 

- Eyes of the Emperor as a single-model light/infiltrating/saboteur unit, perhaps with some CP shenannigans or redeploys 

- Upgrade pack similar to the Black Templars pack that gives physical models for some of the relics, including the "Paragon Spears", maybe some Solarite Power Talons for Characters

- The Talion gunship as a light transport flyer 

- Differentiate Spears as being better single-target damage/AP, and Axes as hitting all targets in base contact #MakeSpearsGreatAgain 

Sisters of Silence 

- tracker-dog squad, we all know the art, we all love it

- Kharon-Pattern Acquisitor to get 40k rules 

- In the same Upgrade pack mentioned above, could easily include some iconography to put on a Rhino

- Oblivion Knights 

- Make all friendly units within 6" of Sisters squads un-targetable with Psyker powers to better line up with their protective role over Custodes 

Ordo Sinister (not in Codex)

- could be a single datasheet update from Forgeworld and a single upgrade kit release to upgrade Warlords +/- Reavers as per Seige of Terra novels. We know they still exist in 40k, it would be a treat to see rules for them

Imperial Agents (separate Codex)

Include Inquisition, Rogue Traders, Retinues, Navigators, Naval officers with Voidsman kit, Deathcult Assassins, Preachers/Priests, restricted access to Tempestus Scions squads.

Would need careful writing, but I think it would be played/treasured/purchased like crazy if done well 

- essentially HQ unlocks access to certain 'branches' of the codex (eg Inquisitor can unlock Tempestus Scions as troops, Rogue Trader unlocks Voidsman as troops) 

- Inquisitors could take a single Valkyrie/Chimera/Taurox/Corvus Blackstar/Rhino

- Rogue Traders could take a single Valkyrie/Arvus Lighter/Archeopter Transvector 

- could release this with no/minimal new kits 

- opens up LOTS of fun fluff-based alliances/detachment 

- can explore many fun aspects of the warhammer 40k universe not previously realised on the tabletop 

Assassins

- could be included in the Agents Codex or separately 

- Vanus and Venenum rules included

Custodes:

- (Unlikely but fun - Valdor's return as the King in Yellow who takes up his Captain-General mantle again - LoW)

Possible actually, considering that Trajann didn't inherit the SUPREME COMMANDER keyword, yet Gulliman and Morvenn Vahl did, and both of them are High Lords of Terra. I'm actually expecting a Valdor release for 40k.

- It would be cool instead of "Captain-Commander" to have Tribunes as a separate different HQ/LoW unit 

Sort of like a Brother-Captain (Captain-Commander) to a Grand Master (Tribune)? Also are tribunes still around fluff wise for the 40k universe?

See above point, and if so, that would be cool!

- Lockwarden Borsa Thursk as a named character instead of just a Warlord Trait for Shadowkeepers 

- Ephoroi as either a unit mentioned above, or equally could be a Shield-Host rule-set 

Cheaper troops option with a 3+ save to reflect their age?

- Eyes of the Emperor as a single-model light/infiltrating/saboteur unit, perhaps with some CP shenannigans or redeploys 

- Upgrade pack similar to the Black Templars pack that gives physical models for some of the relics, including the "Paragon Spears", maybe some Solarite Power Talons for Characters

Definitely would be down for that! Technically speaking we do have that though in the form of the pyrithite/adrathite spears.

- Differentiate Spears as being better single-target damage/AP, and Axes as hitting all targets in base contact #MakeSpearsGreatAgain 

That will get FAQ'ed eventually. Although why we don't have D3 weapons to this day still astounds me.

In blue.

Edited by Skywrath

The lack of damage 3 and the almost complete abstinence from mortal wounds is...weird. Still waiting on more tournament results but at the same time regardless of where we are at bracket wise I just think the Dex is still missing something to cohesive it.

Games I have played have been fine. But besides making invul saves nothing else feels super...custodes to me.

I too would love to see some psyberhounds added. They looked awesome and the conversion possibilities are just too delicious to pass up on, I'm using some Serberys hounds for conversions now, and loving it!

I would like to see some some kind of expansion for the Adeptus Psykana as whole. Naval arms men from the Black Ships, a new astropath model, some kind of Astropath choirmaster? Transcendent, thank they're called?

Add on some heavier options for the SoS, not necessarily a Heavy weapons squad, but some heavy flamer options or grenade launcher wouldn't go amiss. Some kind of field administrator for the Adeptus Psykana would cool to, because who is telling the planetary governor that it's time to bring out the witches, and who is keeping count of the witches? Probably an Inquisitor, but they could do something cool there. If they insist on it being an Inquisitorial duty, then I'll have to insist on having Inquisitorial Stormtroopers back, and I want a distinct upgrade sprue, the little 'I' thingy is tricky to paint.

For Custodes, give me the old spy fellas that go off and travel incognito somehow. Explain to me how the 12ft tall old guy gets around without someone shouting "Mutant!" And then also keeps in contact across the galaxy without anyone realising who they are. But first, give me a Clint Eastwood looking super spy to paint!

Anyway, there's my Sanguinala-list for this year, 10 months early too!

Custodes:

Possible actually, considering that Trajann didn't inherit the SUPREME COMMANDER keyword, yet Gulliman and Morvenn Vahl did, and both of them are High Lords of Terra. I'm actually expecting a Valdor release for 40k.

Sort of like a Brother-Captain (Captain-Commander) to a Grand Master (Tribune)? Also are tribunes still around fluff wise for the 40k universe?

See above point, and if so, that would be cool!

Cheaper troops option with a 3+ save to reflect their age?

Definitely would be down for that! Technically speaking we do have that though in the form of the pyrithite/adrathite spears.

That will get FAQ'ed eventually. Although why we don't have D3 weapons to this day still astounds me.

In blue.

I think the Valdor issue poses some difficult fluff questions that need decent answers:

- Why did he leave/ What has he been up to?

- Why return now? Why not return during the Great Beast Crisis or the Beheading or the reign of Gorge Vandire or the Daemonic Invasion of Terra?

- Why bring him back in this cloak and daggers way in a pocket dimension etc (weird....)

- How does the timeline fit, correct me if I am wrong but I thought the Bequin trilogy was pre-Rift

- How does he interact with Guilliman? with Trajan and Colquan? 

- How does he interact with the Ecclesiarchy/Administratum/general fall into wretchedness over 10k years, did he know?

It also poses some interesting gameplay/army issues:

- How does he fit in role-wise into the army, especially in comparison to Trajan? 

- obvious role in LoW/Supreme Commander slot, but this doesn't answer how to make him fit a new role/pickable

- Does he get his armour and spear back? 

Overall with the right writers and a well thought out plot/purpose, it could be done well. He is a unique character in that bringing him back doesn't have too many flow-on fluff ramifications which is good. Still it almost would warrant a decent Chris Wraight novel to explore it all. 

However I doubt it will happen anytime soon. It is the sort of thing GW will save for halfway through 10th Edition to spice up the release schedule, a new "big character returns". I think we are more likely to see the other two outstanding Khorne/Slaanesh daemon primarchs first for example. 

So Tribunes are not only in 40k era, they have had their number expanded, whilst not explicitly stated, likely due to the increased off-world activities and warzones the 10000 are involved in.

Where there was only 3 during the time of the War in the Webway, their number has been increased to 10 now in the Era Indominatus (source 9th Edition Codex).

What is interesting is it is not clarified as to whether the Lockwarden is a Tribune or not. Why I think this is interesting, is that whilst Custodes rank systems are very fluid, and the Warden of the Dark Cells is a fairly famously important role we don't know what proportion/number of Custodes are tied up in Shadowkeeper roles, and thus he may not warrant such a high rank as such.

Colquan is an interesting one too, as not only did he have his overt role of being in nominal command of all off-world Custodes during the early Indominatus Crusade (before there were 10, there were just 2 at this point, him and another who remained on Terra and was in command of the Hetaeron Guard), he also had the more covert role of being put in position close to Guilliman to guard him, similar to the Oculi Imperator (Aquillon was his name) was for Lorgar before his fall to Chaos after Monarchia. 

Paragon Spears were different to Adrathite and Pyrithite spears - they were said to be the absolute pinnacle even in terms of custodes weapons, and often one-of-a-kind creations, one of the FW captains has one for example.

This would be a cool way to make Hetaeron Guard as a new unit also, Box of three overly ornate super-dynamic posed custodes with new fancy looking Paragon Spears and capes would sell like hot cakes, the only issue is that Wardens kind of fill that role too, but perhaps make them 0-1 unit per detachment, and give them one more wound and attack and they could be something cool 

165px-ShieldCaptainFW.jpg

Pic of Paragon Spear 

Actually to fix the Spear/Axe conundrum would be easy

Spears: 3 damage flat

Axes: +1A for every model in base contact