Best loadout for Lord of Change

Danosborne

Hi all, I’ve started a small Tzeentch Daemon force using the start collecting box and I have a Lord of change to build. I’m just wondering what people think is best, the sword or the staff? It seems like he’s not really there for his combat effectiveness so the sword is a bit irrelevant m, but then the staff also seems a bit ineffective for its points.

The Lord of Change is an amazing centerpiece model and the demons codex s quite old and probably due for replacement, I think this is a case of look for the longer term and build the one you prefer the look of rather than try and maximise game benefit.

Based purely on the current rules though,  I don't rate the staff, with wings and the low range of the other psychic powers you don't want to be more than 18" away and the staff doesn't get you round the 'must target nearest' so has very little value to me. The sword on the other hand I see as a downgrade on his basic staff, str 7 over 6 doesn't help unless the enemy is T6 or T7, and the -4 over -2 is nice, but a lot of his enemies will have an invul and you are eating the -1 to hit to get it, add to that I'd usually rather have a flat 3 damage over a d6 to reliably kill two and 3 wound characters and I'd probably be using the basic staff and not buying either upgrade.

The best load out currently for the LoC is using “The Impossible Robe” relic, making him your warlord, giving him the Incorporeal form warlord trait for a -1 damage, Then giving him the aura of mutability exalted trait, for a 6+++ FNP and for every FNP roll you make you get a wound back. Then you need to decide if you want the sword for slightly better melee or the Rod of sorcery for the increased smite range.

He becomes an incredibly Tanky monster that’s super hard to shift. But he can and will struggle in combat against high toughness units.

Edited by Trollbeard

It could be usefull to give him a sword as one exalted relic is a pretty nice sword to have. The robe is of course best but I tried to give him the sword (and the robe to a daemon prince) and that workted out fine too. Not the best but fun to try so you can get him to punch a little better.

Is it worth going for more of a caster build?

Say

Exalted Lord of Change,

w/ the Soul Eater Stave to regain wounds per kill

w/ Lord of Flux as an Exalted Ability for an extra mortal wound per cast per round

w/ the Born of Sorcery Warlord Trait for the +1 to casting

I'm thinking he can effectively cast Smites and Bolts of Change at 18", with a +3 to each. That can mean quite a few regained wounds per round, if you target units with 1 wound per model. You can get up to D6+D3+2 mortal wounds a round with this guy, from 18" away.

Edited by Berzul

Is it worth going for more of a caster build?

Say

Exalted Lord of Change,

w/ the Soul Eater Stave to regain wounds per kill

w/ Lord of Flux as an Exalted Ability for an extra mortal wound per cast per round

w/ the Born of Sorcery Warlord Trait for the +1 to casting

I'm thinking he can effectively cast Smites and Bolts of Change at 18", with a +3 to each. That can mean quite a few regained wounds per round, if you target units with 1 wound per model. You can get up to D6+D3+2 mortal wounds a round with this guy, from 18" away.

Lord of flux also combos well with Infernal Gateway and +3 to cast. On a roll of 9+, everything within range of the splash is hit for D6+1 MW's. 

I'm still ways away from finishing my army so I haven't played a single game with them (or against them). Still, from reading it, Infernal Gateway sounds like a bad power all around, though. Short range in the cast, small area of effect, limited targets, high casting roll required.

All our powers are pretty bad compared to some of the new powers for newer armies. Still intersting that daemons of Tzeentch, that are made of pure magic is actually pretty bad at magic. But some of our powers can still suprise your opponents (and yourself) so don´t write them off.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of comments to that effect. That, despite being THE army that should be awesome at psychic powers, it is actually quite subpar when compared to others.

If Thousand Sons are anything to go by, Tzeentch daemons still wont have the most destructive powers. That said, gateway is still good, and better than anything thousand Sons get, however, yes, it's far away from Squiggly curse which is major league broken.