Sisters of Silence - Kitbash / Proxy options?

mjrwaud

The standard Sisters of Silence models are nice, don't get me wrong... but they're also a little hard to come by, small, and a bit expensive for only 5 models. I've been thinking about kitbashing some Sisters from models I have already but I would love some opinions / suggestions based on what I've been debating between. I've got extra heads, but trying to decide which bodies would work from different aesthetic points of view after a little conversion:

Adepta Sorroritas - Good size, equipment, etc. but they have such a strong "look" that it's hard to view them as anything other than just Sisters of Battle with the wrong heads without pretty extensive kitbashing.

Van Saar Gangers - The size seems fine, they're pretty androgynous, their armour has a decent artisanal look too it. Weapon options don't look quite right though

Delaque Gangers - Same points as previous, although a very different aesthetic...

Palantine Enforcers - Look a bit bulky, but still fairly androgynous (heavier armour), weapon options look alright (bolters) and the handcuffs etc. match the sisters role of rounding up psykers...

Lumineth Elves (head / weapon swaps) - More "feminine" / regal aesthetic with the robes etc. but would require some extra work to convert.

Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Executioners, maybe? 

Their poses are very static, being a WHFB unit, but being elves you can handwave them as looking androgynous enough. 

Good suggestion, they've got some definite similarities. They might be a bit too "evil" looking, but are certainly worth considering.

Any other ideas out there?

Sisters of Silence are in an unusual position in being relatively underrepresented in model terms, but with lots of lovely artwork. Their depiction in artwork is more diverse than the models available, so you benefit from the aesthetic being slightly broader than with – say – Space Marines, where every tweak or non-standard part will be obvious.

When kitbashing or converting anything, I tend to at least nod to the existing models, to provide a little anchor to the established look. My first instinct here is to suggest that you'd get nice results by kitbashing Sisters of Silence with Sisters of Battle at a ratio of 1:2 – spreading the additional arms and heads from the SoS on the SoB bodies, and vice versa.

Making sure all the models use at least some components from each kit (so you don't have any 'pure' Sisters of Silence models) will help blur the line.

I'd also encourage you to dive into the newer Stormcast Eternals from Age of Sigmar. The Thunderstrike range is much more slender and gracile than the tanky looking old ones, and the proportions are better suited to conversion. While they might be quite big if left unconverted, they'll certainly provide some nice opportunities for variety; and perhaps suit characters or elite units nicely.

ExcrutiatusExtractionSquad.png

As an example, this Excrutiatus Extraction Squad is quite unlike anything we've seen in miniature form, so exploring the unused artworks for other ideas (like unmasked Sisters, which are relatively common in the art, but largely unknown in the miniatures) might offer other avenues to explore.

Edited by apologist

Yeah the price of Sisters is a huge pain, and probably a not insignificant factor in their relative obscurity. £6 a model for fairly cheap infantry is insane.

Fortunately you can find them much cheaper second hand, though the glory days of £15 a squad with postage when all the heresy players were dumping them probably wont return you can often get them under £20.

Slender, un-powered plate is fairly rare too, i think folks have it mostly covered above, though id also suggest looking at Cities of Sigmar Greatswords which might well work well with headswaps? 

Sisters of Silence are in an unusual position in being relatively underrepresented in model terms, but with lots of lovely artwork. Their depiction in artwork is more diverse than the models available, so you benefit from the aesthetic being slightly broader than with – say – Space Marines, where every tweak or non-standard part will be obvious.

When kitbashing or converting anything, I tend to at least nod to the existing models, to provide a little anchor to the established look. My first instinct here is to suggest that you'd get nice results by kitbashing Sisters of Silence with Sisters of Battle at a ratio of 1:2 – spreading the additional arms and heads from the SoS on the SoB bodies, and vice versa.

Making sure all the models use at least some components from each kit (so you don't have any 'pure' Sisters of Silence models) will help blur the line.

I'd also encourage you to dive into the newer Stormcast Eternals from Age of Sigmar. The Thunderstrike range is much more slender and gracile than the tanky looking old ones, and the proportions are better suited to conversion. While they might be quite big if left unconverted, they'll certainly provide some nice opportunities for variety; and perhaps suit characters or elite units nicely.

ExcrutiatusExtractionSquad.png

As an example, this Excrutiatus Extraction Squad is quite unlike anything we've seen in miniature form, so exploring the unused artworks for other ideas (like unmasked Sisters, which are relatively common in the art, but largely unknown in the miniatures) might offer other avenues to explore.

Such a great reply an suggestions!

I agree, there's lots of great artwork and lore out there for the Sisters but so few models.  Based on that particular artwork I really like the idea of mixing Delaque gangers with some more heavily armoured pieces / techy bits... lots of ideas bubbling up!

Any inspiration about alternative heads for Sisters of Silence? I like an all enclosed helm and the advice has been spot on here. :smile.:

If you can print there is an apparently widely available free STL of helmeted SoS out there.

Other than that id probably look at either Skitarii vanguard (Best helmet ever :D ) or the Anvil industries Burning Rose range which has some good alternate models and separate heads available.

https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/burning-rose#/pageSize=6&viewMode=grid&orderBy=0

Any inspiration about alternative heads for Sisters of Silence? I like an all enclosed helm and the advice has been spot on here. :smile.:

These are looking really good:

https://liberdaemonica.com/shop?tfc_storepartuid[270673031]=Sisters

I've been really happy with all the stuff I've gotten from them.

If you can print there is an apparently widely available free STL of helmeted SoS out there.

Other than that id probably look at either Skitarii vanguard (Best helmet ever :D ) or the Anvil industries Burning Rose range which has some good alternate models and separate heads available.

https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/burning-rose#/pageSize=6&viewMode=grid&orderBy=0

Interested in the Renaissance helmets of the line.

I did order some Skitarii helms but I need to source more before I use them.