How to build an Iron Warriors Army?

nusphigor

Hey guys!

I got 2 halves from the eldritch omens set and a dark apostle kit and I want to make a chaos army with them for my Crusade campaigns at the store but the last time i played chaos was in 5th ed and it has changed soo much...

I wanted to ask you guys, how would you build an army with those bases?
i might have some MK3 marines and a couple of contemptors to add to this army but first i'd like to have a clear picture on this project before I commit myself to paint them again. (you have absolutely no idea how many times i've stripped the paint of those models...)

Could you give me some tips on how to do this?

I am waiting for a model to stand in as a lord discordant, have some skitarii to use as cultists and 2 Armiger Helverins to convert to decimator engines, (i wanted to have a dark mech vibe to it)

Thank you!

Cheers!

Edited by nusphigor

The new dex is due soon and based upon the rumours, is going to be very different, so much so many of us are too spooked to do anything for CSM at the moment until the new dex. Honestly, if I were you I would stick with your existing sons of Dorn for the moment, due to the fact they are a known quantity.

The new dex is due soon and based upon the rumours, is going to be very different, so much so many of us are too spooked to do anything for CSM at the moment until the new dex. Honestly, if I were you I would stick with your existing sons of Dorn for the moment, due to the fact they are a known quantity.

D:

well you are right, might be my anxiety talking.

Better to not build anything yet and wait for the codex

Regardless of the new dex, you'll still be wanting a few things as an Iron Warrior. 

Terminators: These guys rock currently and are very likely to continue.

Havocs: Chaincannons are going to be very good.

Obliterators: The Heaviest Infantry.

Your choice of favorite Dreadnoughts are likely still to be pretty good. 

Thank you guys!

I built this army list with the things i have around and that i'm waiting to get. What do you think of it as a generic list until the new dex arrives?

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [51 PL, 10CP, 1,026pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Detachment Command Cost

+ No Force Org Slot +

Dark Disciples [1 PL, 10pts]: No Chaos Mark
. 2x Dark Disciple: 2x Close combat weapon

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle [4 PL, 80pts]: No Chaos Mark, Warpsight Plea

Warpsmith [4 PL, 70pts]: 3. Unholy Fortitude, Bolt pistol, No Chaos Mark, Power axe, Warlord

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 50pts]: No Chaos Mark
. 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun: 9x Autogun
. Cultist Champion: Autogun

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 50pts]: No Chaos Mark
. 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun: 9x Autogun
. Cultist Champion: Autogun

Chaos Space Marines [8 PL, 150pts]: No Chaos Mark
. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma
. 7x Marine w/ boltgun: 7x Bolt pistol, 7x Boltgun, 7x Frag & Krak grenades
. Marine w/ heavy or special weapon: Plasma gun
. Marine w/ heavy or special weapon: Plasma gun

+ Elites +

Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, -1CP, 190pts]: No Chaos Mark, 2x Twin lascannon

Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, -1CP, 160pts]: 2x Hellforged kheres-pattern assault cannon, No Chaos Mark

+ Fast Attack +

Chaos Spawn [2 PL, 46pts]: No Chaos Mark
. 2x Chaos Spawn: 2x Hideous mutations

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Rapier Carrier [5 PL, 110pts]: No Chaos Mark, Quad launcher

Chaos Rapier Carrier [5 PL, 110pts]: No Chaos Mark, Quad launcher

++ Spearhead Detachment -3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [49 PL, -3CP, 970pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

+ HQ +

Lord Discordant on Helstalker [10 PL, 205pts]: Baleflamer, No Chaos Mark
. Helstalker: Magma cutter

+ Elites +

Decimator [9 PL, 180pts]: No Chaos Mark, 2x Soulburner petard

Decimator [9 PL, 160pts]: 2x Decimator claw with hellflamer, No Chaos Mark

+ Heavy Support +

Havocs [7 PL, 145pts]: No Chaos Mark
. Aspiring Champion: Astartes chainsword, Boltgun
. 4x Havoc w/ lascannon: 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Lascannon

Maulerfiend [7 PL, 140pts]: Lasher tendrils, No Chaos Mark

Maulerfiend [7 PL, 140pts]: Lasher tendrils, No Chaos Mark

++ Total: [100 PL, 7CP, 1,996pts] ++

The main idea is that the Cultists are skitarii, the decimator engines are conversions using a couple of armiger helverins and the lord discordant is anacharis scoria.
The dinobots, the dark apostles, the warpsmith and the dark apostle are actual chaos minis
The contemptors, the csm, the havocs and the rapiers are minis from my HH collection.
As for the spawns, I'll have to convert them using bits

I'm still thinking if it would be better to paint the marine part as iron warriors or as fallen angels, what do you guys think? (i know, I know, a bit of a dumb question to du in the Iron Warrior section of the forum but please bear with me XD)
Edited by nusphigor

I think that’s a solid list to mess around with now and also use in the next edition. I say solid meaning not particularly good, but also not particularly bad when looking at the CSM codex as a whole. Against proper 9th ed armies uphill battle is often an understatement.

As for painting them, I’d go with iron warriors myself, but it’s something entirely based on your preference. Fallen are in an awful place, better to just play loyalist rules with them IMO. Or any other CSM legion/warband for rules, and fallen just as a paint scheme of no consequence.

Not that DA or any other legion didn’t use mk III, but it objectively looks sexiest with Iron Warriors livery.

Edited by Khornestar