Shroud Runners - any good?

Xenith

As it says on the tin - these are awesome models, but are they any good on the table? Snipers are traditionally not great, however they seem to have great speed and the scout ability is insane. Nachmund in particular is very generous to bikes, allowing them to perform the data action - could these be gamewinners for that and engage? Would you need 4+ of them to still score engage even if they suffer a loss?

Edited by Xenith

I think they're actually pretty great for Anti Infantry more than Anti-character. They might chip off a wound or two from a smaller character like Guard commanders, other eldar HQs etc but I think the long rifles are better served going after the same targets as the Scatter Laser.

They could be a good tool for Engage and other Secondaries if you haven't got access to other units like Rangers, Swooping Hawks and Warp Spiders. The main issue with the Shroud Runners (in my opinion) is that they're 105 points which is quite expensive for what they can do. Definitely have their uses though!

I am squinting hard at Shroudrunners and Jetbikes and they look pretty evenly balanced. For their points, they have a similar number of wounds. The jetbikes have slightly more firepower per point (if you give the Scatter Lasers) but the Shroudrunners have snipers, cloaks and pre-game move.

I think on balance the bonuses put Shrourunners ahead. Their sniping is not great but they are a mobile unit with some stealth and excellent anti-infantry firepower. I would be inclined to look on the sniping as a bonus. Every once in a while, you will chip an extra wound off something.

The problem with using them to score RND is the low model count. If you are looking for a squad for RND and EOOF I think Swopping Hawks are better. 6 Hawks cost about the same as 3 Shrourunners and are guaranteed to pass their RND check (at least until they start taking casualties). Also they can use their redeployment tricks to stroll around table quarters however you need. Ultimately it depends what you want to sue the squad for but for Secondary Objectives, I think you will be hard pressed to beat 6 Hawks.

A qualified 'yes'.

They're cheap enough to be worth throwing forward to achieve Engage/Stranglehold or grab the odd Primary, but they're small and fast enough to also be reasonable backline screens to keep enemies out of your own rear.

Rangers and Corsairs are better in that first role because they're cheaper and have ObSec, but Runners fill the latter role better than almost anything else. Their speed lets them play cagey early and then jump out where you need them for points from turn 3 on.

What they are not is a damage dealer or aggro unit. They're a chip damage utility unit that are best acting at maximum range as long as possible, but can respond to scoring req's easily turn by turn. Speed is their greatest attribute.

I would avoid ever taking more than 3 in a unit as you want to minimize their visibility in general, but up to 2 units for sheer speed and utility could work in almost any list. I do find that once you have one 'speed camper' unit like this I'd usually go elsewhere because Eldar lists benefit from diversity more than spam in my experience... Spiders + Shroud Runners + Hornet is looking to be pretty much my standard 3 FA picks, and I'd double down on Spiders before Runners every time.  Models make a difference though, so if you don't fancy trying to collect the ancient Spiders for now, then 2 Runner units for redundancy would be fine.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.