A trip down memory lane

Dr_Ruminahui

Sorry for your loss, he lives on in the memories you have of this army. Thanks for sharing these pictures and story with us.

Apart from its high sentimental value, it is a very cool and awesome army. It brings back memories of my childhood, I had those combined metal and plastic marines as well during 2nd ed for my blood angels long gone and sold.

Sorry for your loss, brother.

The friends we make are, in many ways, the best part of this hobby.

This is a beautiful army, made better by both the old-school, tongue-in-cheek irreverent Warhammer humour ('Sun Gun' on the plasma cannon is my favourite, absolutely love it) and the sense that each of these models has their own story to tell.

Thanks everyone, for your condolenses and your compliments on the army - I'm glad you like my names on the vehicles and weapons. 

With the army were a couple of other things I would share:

His space marines codex - I'm pretty sure this is the 3rd ed codex.

CnvGxc3.jpg

A list of all the units and their point values - this looks like it has everything but victory squad, so I guess I hadn't painted it at that point.

CpB1gej.jpg

2 1000 point lists

PNW5JVW.jpg

0SDVQjL.jpg

It's a sad and hollow feeling when someone close passes away. My deepest condolences to you Rumi.

The names of the tanks def brought me a smile as I scrolled through the order of battle present, some excellent humour in there. I may have to utilise "The Smite Button" as a moniker for a tank in the future. The Codex is definitely a 3rd Ed one to my knowledge. 4th Ed was the Ultramarines fighting the 'Nids (and was my introduction to 40K in 2007).

What was the Chapter's name? I think I missed that in there, the symbol of the I and bleeding eye is certainly unique and distinctive with the grey.

It's fair to say that despite Michael no longer being physically present in this world, his memory lives on here and through the army.

Cambrius

Thanks, Cambrius.  And feel free to use "Smite Button" for your own forces - after all, I swiped it myself. :)

I don't remember the name of the Chapter, if it had one.  We didn't pay much attention to the background or setting in those days, so I can say that none of the aesthetic choices have any connection with any of the canon.  Indeed, I can't really remember how any of them were made, other than on the basis of their being something that I felt I could paint.

I do remember being rather surprised when someone where we played asked if they were chaos marines, as the large eye was the symbol of horus, which is something that I hadn't ever thought of.

And yeah, Mike and I were friends for a long time, so I have lots of fond memories of him.  I do miss not getting up early on the weekend so that I could game with him on the computer when he was awake - the last decade or so of his life he was in Europe which made for an 8 hour time difference between us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you, everyone, for your compliments and condolences.

I had intended to just keep it as a momento, though a friend of mine asked how big it so I pointed it up with Battlescribe.  It's just shy of 3000 points, though I think I may accidentally have made a couple of the models primaris without intending to (I don't have the loyalist marines codex andI'm not convinced Battlescribe has the keywords correctly for all the units - I made one a lieutenant and another an ancient of some sort, neither of which has the primaris keyword in battlescribe).  So, I may play it at some point, or once I've built a gaming table so that we can play at my house, have some lists available so that the army can be used by my friends who aren't in the hobby but might want to have a game.

I have no immediate plans to paint more units, though I might at some point.  One thing I could do is pick up the killteam box with the chaos militarum, as I'm interested in both the chaos kill team and the terrain - I could save the intercessors for a later addition to this army.

Even when focusing on one army, painting tends to be about 2 years behind whatever is good in the meta, so I can't really see me trying to keep up with what is good for 2 armies at once, so any additions would likely be either what I am "forced" to buy through "bundled" purchases such as the killteam box, or if a model comes along that I particularly like.

That said, I would like to convert and paint a mini that better represents my friend's commander, who was based off of a series of RPG characters he had made which in turn were based on a fictionalized version of himself.  Necessary elements would be bionics, twin pistols (plasma, probably) and sunglasses.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

It's always hard losing a good friend, but you've got a wonderful memento in that marvelous army to remember all the good times you had together.

SMITE BUTTON :woot:.... that's the best:yes: Might use that one myself on one of my tanks.... with your permission of course, Doc.

Thanks, Lensoven and Lunkhead.  And feel free to use "Smite Button" - as I told Cambrius earlier, I stole it myself so its not like I have dibs on the name. :)