++Thousand Sons Unit of the Week++

gallery_58096_7835_297847.gif

++Land Raider++

New codex, new discussions about units! As we already have in other faction sections, this is the Thousand Sons Unit of the Week series, where each week we select and dissect a datasheet found in the book, and discuss how we use the unit in-game, favoured loadouts and combos, essentially how to use these units best. What have you found that works, and what doesnt? Please try to stick to the idea of making the unit in question work, as opposed to pointing out other units that might do a better job - we'll get to those in time!

This week, we will be discussing Land Raiders - formerly the most powerful tank in the game, feared by all and rarely used due to their points cost, Land Raiders are rarely seen as other things are so much bigger and scarier these days. 4 Lascannons and the ability to transport are things the Thousand Sons need, however, so how would you get the most from these, if at all?

What are you thoughts, and how best would you use the unit?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • What <GREAT CULT>, loadouts, spell relic and Stratagem support do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit, and if so, how?
  • Are you building as a damage dealer or buff-provider?
  • Uses in Matched, Narrative and Open Play
  • How have they fared for you in-game?

Over to you.

++Thousand Sons Unit of the Week Index Link++

Edited by Xenith

I like the idea of the raider, and as above, it has stuff that TS are lacking and can use, namely 4 lascannons and transport space. Unfortunately, even with the 5++ and 2+ save, it's a bit too fragile this edition. It really needs a galf damage rule, like other stuff has been getting. That said, I need to test one out and see how it goes - in my less competitive meta it might do ok, and if they're firing D3+ weapons at a land raider, they're not firing them at my Scarabs, who are the real threat. 

Edited by Xenith

In a hard competions I don´t see a use for them but I some times use one in more friendly games. I think there save, T and W together with las-cannons can be good thing even if they are expensive in points. But I like 4 las-cannons. That´s pretty nice anti-tank damage for us. 

Heh it's kind of obvious that GW wants to move away from the Land Raider - they have been nerfing it's rules for so long now. Even with the 5++ you guys have it's just not even decent.

Can you guys buff it's accuracy somehow? Cause when I used mine in my DG army it was just way too swingy. Oh how many times I've managed to roll 4 ones to hit or doing a total of 3 damage for example...

And you know Xenith, the LR is bit too expensive to work as a distraction carnifex, sure someone is not shooting your scarab occult, but then again for the cost you could just have 5 more scarab occult :)

The LR needs to be tougher and needs the assault ramp to at least do something the humble rhino can't - we can see that even black templars don't actually use the LR in a competitive setting and they both have a 5++, better transport space and the option to charge after driving.

I think you also lack a dedicated assault unit to actually put in the land raider. sure you could put 5 terminators in there save them from a round of shooting but still you are just paying heavy points for a gloryfied bunker with very swingy AT (unless you can buff it with spells - not sure here).

Absolutely. We can give it -1 to be hit, +1 to hit and a 4++, but these are generally better spent on other things - the +1 to hit is maybe the better option there. Indeed you could spend more on scarabs, but if you're lookin at taking both a rhino and quad las contemptor, for not too many more points you might be able to get a land raider.

Far from an incredible unit, but might e worth trying. 

Well that possible +1 to hit is nice but the question is - will you actually be casting it on the LR instead of something killier? Without mitigating the damage roll you still have a chance of dealing meagre damage even if you do manage to hit.

Taking a look through your strats I see you can boost the ap of all shooting for 1CP, which makes the heavy bolter decentish (why does this not have inferno bolts from the start lol?) and actually buying a combi bolter and havoc launcher gets you some relatively ok antichaff shooting. But again ,do you really need it from the Land Raider? It costs 275 pts which is quite a bit - that contemptor you mentionted costs 60pts less and has more AT shooting, get's core and most improtant of all has a way smaller footprint and so is easier to hide. I think getting a LR for AT isn't the way, but delivering a payload of something nast might? 10 rubrics with flamers? But then you are putting 1/4 of your points in one place and that might not be the best idea...

I wish GW actually revised the rules for the old tanks, at least for us traitors.

If you are shy on points, you can axe the twin heavy bolter and get a Proteus for 30 points less. An option to deny reinforcements within 12" for 15 pts, but with reduced capacity.

I keep considering the achilles, but its a hefty price tag. Mimicking the twin volkite on dreads, but with the added bonus of getting a quad gun(can shoot some random bolters at things out of LOS, or direct shells for good D3), a better toughness and more wounds but, of course, a degrading profile.

I have not seen land raiders good since 4th edition. It would be nice if GW made more an effort with them. Sometimes I feel like that anything firstborne should be forgotten, but they forget that chaos marine armies still use predators, land raiders, and vindicators.

In 30k, we had a penchant for the xiphon, and land raider as a transport.

Edited by Ahzek451

This is a complete shame to me. This is such an iconic unit and it just deserves better. Unfortunately it just falls in the category of “ you gotta buff the heck out of it “. And at that point you’re probably better off buffing other units.