Xenith

++Thousand Sons Unit of the Week++

gallery_58096_7835_297847.gif

++Rhino++

New codex, new discussions about units! As we already have in other faction sections, this is the Thousand Sons Unit of the Week series, where each week we select and dissect a datasheet found in the book, and discuss how we use the unit in-game, favoured loadouts and combos, essentially how to use these units best. What have you found that works, and what doesnt? Please try to stick to the idea of making the unit in question work, as opposed to pointing out other units that might do a better job - we'll get to those in time!

This week, we will be discussing Rhinos. Seen in all editions of the game, with varying usefulness, Thousand Sons Rhinos are maybe the best of the bunch with an innate 5++ and ability to get 2x inferno combi bolters, putting out 8 shots at range - almost the same as a small squad of Rubrics.

What are you thoughts, and how best would you use the unit?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around?
  • Will you be running multiples?
  • What <GREAT CULT>, loadouts, spell relic and Stratagem support do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit, and if so, how?
  • Are you building as a damage dealer or buff-provider?
  • Uses in Matched, Narrative and Open Play
  • How have they fared for you in-game?

Over to you.

++Thousand Sons Unit of the Week Index Link++

I actually really like the rhino this codex - though I dont have a TS/Chaos one and have yet to test it out. At 10W, 3+/5++ it has similar stats to a 5 man Rube unit, however crucially it has T7 and M12" which covers a lot of our deficiencies. 2x combi bolters also kick out as many shots as a 5 man rube unit, and you can stick a launcher on there to make it into a mini razorback. 90pts will get you 8xinferno bolt shots at 12" and D6S5 shots, on a fast moving tough chassis - what you lack is the sorcerer and ObSec, but you gain footprint, speed and toughness.

I totally agree with Xenith. The rhine is very nice. It´s semi-hard to kill with lot of wounds and saves and usually most opponents ignore it for more dangerous units. That is always a mistake as a rhino can block views, sneak around in the backfield, taking objectives etc. My rhinoes are almost usefull. But I would propably never take more then max 2, usually only one to deliver right troops into th midfield of the board. Two 5-man units of rubric or a big unit of warp flamers is my usually transport units to put into the rhino.

Rhinos definitely seem to bring attributes the Sons are lacking. Offensively a Rhino is never going to make the Galaxy Burn but they are useful and cheap as they come in under 100 points, even with Havoc launcher and combo weapon.

Currently mount mine with 2 inferno and a havoc. As Karhedron mentioned, not expecting great things from damage output, but a harassing 2x combit bolter and a peppering of havoc from a distance can help knock a wound or 2 off of something. Going to take advantage of that "free" ap2 and 5++. Still have yet to try one with a combi-melt. 

Underrated aspect of Rhinos is the free +3 inches of T1 movement the disembark gives to whoever's inside. Getting 9in+d6in first turn makes it really easy to set up a solid posting on objectives or make sure everyone is really hunkered down.

I find that mine tend to get focused pretty hard as one of the only targets for enemy anti-tank, but that keeps those shots off of my Demon Prince so I can't complain too much.

^^

Then if they're putting AT firepower into your rhino, it's not going into things like Scarabs, or your DP/Magnus like you say, right? No good choices for the opponent. 

Disembark+advance+surge can net you 16-21" from DZ in turn one, more than enough to catch up to a risen rubricae unit to reinforce the centre of the board. Great for tings like data scry salvage where you ight be able to net 3 points in T1 from it.