The Iron Saints | Homebrew WIP Blog

Your fluff and army are both very appealing.

The silvering around the transfer was in my opinion (almost) not visible.

The best way i found to apply transfers is gloss undersurface/varnish to help hide the transfer film, after drying the transfer, but not completely dry reapply gloss varnish, it blends with the still moist transfer and seals it locally. After that seal the entire model in gloss or matte varnish at you desire, thus hiding the spots where you used varnish to fix transfers.

I have not yet any exp with micro sol and set, but with my aging fleet of bt transfersheets i'm seeing a learning curve on the near horizon.

Gs is also a bear to master. I just gotten past the point of making acceptable tabbards/loincloths.

Keep up the good work.

That metal is lovely, could you share the recipe?

1. Base: Screaming Bell

2. Layer: thinned down 50:50 mix of screaming bell and scale color True Copper. more true copper with each layer and in a smaller area.

3. Umber oil wash

4. glaze guilliman flesh contrast towards the dark area

5. glaze wildwood contrast towards the darkest area

6 rebrighten with screaming bell

7. edge highlight with true copper

Edited by White Crusader

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, some glacially slow progress on my part on the next set of assault marines. Felt a bit of burn out with the last Rhino/Razorback project so I took it slow this time, only really painting in 1-2 hr bursts during the occasional evening, using an individual miniature as more a practice platform for volumetric blending with brushwork. Definitely have a long way to go but I'm getting more confident with my blends. The long Memorial Day weekend gave me a nice long length of time to really hunker down and get some work done.

This was the initial airbrush phase with Boreal Green + Light Flesh thinly layered over a Decayed Metal base layer and chipped.

LDKjPVo.jpg

As you can see, during the course of blend work a lot of the chips were covered. I couldn't be bothered to go back and rechip as I didn't want to cause issues with overchipping. I may add manual weathering by sponge chipping with rhinox hide later, but I also want to leave the armor more pristine to showcase the blends.

1I8tKxu.jpg

The current state of the miniature. Spent most of today working on the metallics. I've really been trying to treat TMM almost like NMM, thanks to a bunch of videos by Vincent Venturella. So lots of layering and glazing on dark contrast paints on areas that wouldn't reflect light. It's hectic having dozens of reference photos open!

Also trying out an alternate eye method that looks more like the red dot lenses seen in Jin-Roh and in art by Wolfdawgartcorner on Reddit (example here). I think it looks a lot more menacing than the typical jeweled lens look.

Final steps left would now be more weathering with sponge chipping, painting on microscratches, and weathering pigments!

NYm1hyx.jpg

Vu1GChv.jpg

qZaZGA6.jpg

H3Vxl4W.jpg

Edited by White Crusader

• 3 months later...

Hello, it's been a while. Almost five months actually haha. Took some time to delve into other hobbies (road biking!) before returning to Warhammer as the weather begins to cool and staying inside seems a better prospect, cozy and warm.

I've been dabbling with some of the great truescale marines from Truescale Heresy x Bolterjugend for my next squad. Fantastic kits, though the layer lines leave something to be desired. Here's hoping the grooves don't cause issues when oil washing.

Part of why it's taken so long -aside from the nice weather- to move on to the next project is that I dread kitbashing in some sense. I don't have the wealth of spare bits that many who have been in the hobby continuously for years may have so any sort of customization comes at a somewhat higher instance cost, hunting down specific single bits or sets of bits instead of rummaging through a pre-existing box of spares. Also, trying to create a unique and appropriate aesthetic for a custom chapter that doesn't have a deepset legacy of imagery or character is both daunting yet exciting, as well as mentally exhausting. I don't paint in order to play the game. In fact I haven't touched an actual game of 40k since 4th edition. So there's no rush to complete anything, for better or for worse!

Anyway more jump-pack marines! I love their general aesthetic. The idea of these hulking one ton tanks falling from the sky into the thick of things. Tried to give each some form of character and momentum.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.2c8a8cb627122e9633949aaf15775b2c.jpg

Untitled-3.thumb.jpg.232bea78406a22b83ca2804d66d6432a.jpg

I'm still debating whether to go with clean and bright or chipped and dirty. As you can see on the leg of the latest image I'm opting for some wear and tear, but I also have never done shiny nu-marines so to speak. Might be better to save that sort of style for the more elite troops and allow the rank and file to get down and dirty. What do you think?

Untitled-4@0_75x.thumb.jpg.c60c47583bec4fdb1c525e66dd17995b.jpg