The Flesh is Weak (+SoH) - Starting HH

With the build up of hype for HH 2.0 since the boxset images were leaked, I've been looking at getting into 30k. I finally decided to pull the trigger a couple of weeks ago and ordered some kits that I knew weren't going anywhere/resized anytime soon.

Many moons ago, I had a 40k Iron hands army using lots of the B@C marines, FW shoulderpads and some other bits that had since been left in a box in case I ever decided to get back to them.

With that, I have a decent amount of bits to make an Iron Hands force.

ClanUngavarr.jpg

My general idea for the force is that they're Fleet based stragglers of Clan Ungavarr, harrassing the supply lines and flanks of the traitors making their way to reinforce Terra. As there's very little detail on if there was a real Iron Hand presence at the Siege of Terra, it make sense that at most they're harrassing as best they can.

I've made a few Character models, although the PA Praetor/Iron Father needs a little more GS work on the belt buckle and bionic arm joins:

51959862051_a6cdb2d502_b.jpg

Techmarine:

51958870132_87935ba533_b.jpg

51959862041_7999a9f16c_b.jpg

Terminator Iron Father:

51959929803_640a1149e1_b.jpg

Power Armour Iron Father (my personal favourite):

Pre Sword swap:

51958555235_128a669fff_b.jpg

Post sword swap:

51960156084_ab10e75fec_b.jpg

51959862721_4a25495dee_b.jpg

I'll be trialling out some test schemes soon to figure out how I want them to look! :biggrin.:

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

Thank you both! They're a little rough around the edges at the moment and all need some mold line removal/general cleanup but I'm pleased with the results so far :biggrin.:

The PA Iron Father had a cape to begin with but looked a tad too fancy for an Iron Hand as I wanted a bit more of a brutal look :smile.:

• 3 months later...

Thank you all for your kind words! I'm finally back to this project after a little while waiting for the box to release. Plans have changed somewhat with the box. I was originally only going to make the entire box Iron Hands but later decided to split the box into Iron Hands and Sons of Horus. As I already have an Iron Hands Contemptor stashed away the split of the box is:

1 Praetor each

20 Marines each

5 Terminators each

1 Contemptor each

I couldn't find a way to split the box and still include the Spartan so I've left this off for now. My idea is to use this box to run some intro games with friends and then build off of for both armies.

I've gotten everything built so far minus the Spartan (good golly does that thing look like a pain to build) and I've just done the first test models for paint schemes. For both sides I used very little of the MK6 kit, a few backpacks, pads and guns. Mostly just the body and the Chainbayonets as these kits get incredibly same-y very quickly (in my opinion)

The Sons of Horus so far:

UIttn90.jpgUIttn90.jpg

LsLP43v.jpg

6ZHhY1A.jpg

The Iron Hands:

G7vRiMP.jpg

The test models were my first go at Streaking Grime, with the SoH they came out way more Green that I was aiming for but they came out pretty rad. They've still got a long way to go but the base colours have come out well:

Ahlx11S.jpg

fTYbucc.jpg

K10gol2.jpg

M5bXcTb.jpg

For the Iron Hands, I was aiming for this kind of colour scheme:

warhammer-warhammer-40k-armor-battle-iro

And I think I've achieved a bit more of a grimier version:

xi425sS.jpgxi425sS.jpg

GE1xRDg.jpg

HWVysCD.jpg

eDG1HsC.jpg

The White will need to be brightened up a tad but so far we're looking pretty good!

I had a rather productive night's painting session and completed the first 5 Iron Hands. I still need to figure out the bases but I'm liking where they've ended up!

szn9ud5.jpg

h2OljTj.jpg

rR00ooy.jpg

oU8nnCU.jpg

mdfhyrK.jpg

vynbhyc.jpg

ZZqEbDG.jpg

P1124mY.jpg

EIstPkS.jpg

M11YdH7.jpg

pB75N4g.jpg

fka06Jq.jpg

XfdkWhy.jpg

Note to Self: Buy better Cotton buds! The ones I used here shredded quickly and the fibres on the model seem to reproduce when I'm not looking!

Thank you Pearson!

I've gotten the first 5 SoH done too, bar a couple of small details. My idea for the two forces is that the SoH are newer recruits, better equipped and have a numerical advantage over the IH who are veterans that have been fighting non-stop since Istvaan. The SoH are sent to destroy the IH force as they're raiding supply lines and destroying smaller traitor forces. As such the IH are absolutely battered and rusty, not really repairing their equipment vs the SoH essentially only having paint chipping.

Ramblings aside:

lcbslxe.jpg

Cu4Giq3.jpg

rTfY3sS.jpg

nhX6VOc.jpg

Bnisofs.jpg

y97rIkG.jpg

twVZSc6.jpg

WyI8hqo.jpg

BID1mZM.jpg

VuzgTdg.jpg

xf07OiW.jpg

t8Sncrr.jpg

Bases to go and then the rest of the box!

Thank you Marshall, Marshal and Pearson!

Mittens, I used pure Sybarite Green sponged on and then a layer of Rhinox hide to make the chips look a little deeper

Over the weekend I batch painted all the infantry on the Sons of Horus side and got all the armour colours blocked in and the Streaking Grime done:

A1Ai780.jpg

iT9ndOh.jpg

wYFna2N.jpg

They all look like Salamanders until I get the chipping done and brighten the green back up :sweat: