Return of ETL?

I can't speak for @Captain Semper, but I can tell you that events and challenges such as the ETL (especially the ETL) are extremely demanding in terms of time and effort. Captain Semper started the ETL at a point when he had sufficient free time to commit to the event, and he expanded the scope of the event over the years as his time allowed. He has found himself with much less time in recent years, though, so hasn't run the ETL.

That said, there's no reason that an enterprising member (or members) can't conduct an ETL or something similar. Just be forewarned that there is a ton of work in coordinating and executing such an endeavor, so don't start such an event unless you're certain that you can carry it through to completion. Also, we ask that you coordinate with us (the mod/admin team) to ensure that we don't have too many things going on at once and to ensure that we don't already have something in the works.

As for other events, such as a hypothetical event themed around the Horus Heresy, there might be something in the works. We're also looking at another major milestone in the software upgrade/server migration (finally happening - for really reals this time!) and what we might do to commemorate that momentous event.

What was ETL?

Forum-wide painting event where each faction subforum competed against each other for 3 months over the summer to produce the most painted minis; there have been seven in total but it's not happened for the past couple of years.

Edited by Halandaar

Nice. An ETL sometime after may would be awesome. I am doing the Chaos vs Eldar challenge now, and while I accidentally took 2 weeks off for distant worlds 2, and was delayed a different week by no good priming weather, I have really been motivated to paint my Deathguard by it. A challenge over the summer would be a nice boost to my motivation for my next project, which will be dark angels, maybe as concencrators as I like their colors, and heavy use of beakies and studded shoulders in the art.

It seems June 1st to September 1st was last one, would probably work for a lot of people, and summer releases might motivate a lot of marine players! Also younger members will be out of school for the summer.

Edited by Marshall Mittens

You couldn't do ETL as an HH celebration because HH =

No Tyranids, Sisters, Tau, Inquisition, GSC, or Necrons and as far as I know, no rules for Aeldari and Orks, despite the fact that those factions existed during the heresy.

While I agree with the sentiment I think the event would split it down into Legions. A more focused ETL if you will.

Considering how established ETL is, I wouldn't use the name ETL unless it was the real deal. We got events running already and they don't need the ETL title to stand. If people want a HH event, just start one, it doesn't need to be an ETL. Or someone step up and run the real ETL instead.

What was ETL?

Seeing as no-one actually explained the acronym, ETL stands for ''E Tenebrae Lux" (from darkness, light, in high gothic?), a forum-wide painting event where participants pledged to paint certain amounts of models over the course of 3 months or so. 

It's sort of off topic, but I want to take a moment to just thank all the Fraters and Mods who run ALL of the challenge events. These events have really helped and inspired me to actually get down to work, and I'm proud of my achievements so far.

If all goes as planned, I will be posting my April 12 month today, and finishing it by the end of the Easter weekend (I'm lucky enough to have both Friday and Monday off). In the same window, I should be finishing my Anger and Arrogance Drukhari challenge. And the Sumpheap scrap has really reignited my interest in the Wych Cult Arena.

With all of these things coming together, there might even be a game with fully painted fire teams on a fully painted board Monday night, and NONE of that would have happened without B&C and the people who make it awesome.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn’t ‘Loyalty and Treachery’ the ETL-like Heresy event on this board? We could re-use that name but nudge the rules back a little closer to ETL - or simplify for the sake of the sanity of whoever runs it!

I still have all the assets for a bunch of The Forge's Events, including Call to Chaos, Loyalty and Treachery, and Titans of the Heresy. Hopefully we'll see at least one of these run later this year :tu:

id like to see a return of the event where we all made our own BnC themed marines that was a great thread.

That is definitely something that will be coming back.

Looking forward to it, I'm about to get cracking on some deathwatch so a kill marine would work nicely in legio colours