Daemons get nothing in the Balance dataslate?

The Neverborn

I think the main point of these balance data slates is to reign in the OP armies and boost the struggling armies. It also seems like the base it off of tournament data.

So seeing how demons are neither top of the pack or bottom of the barrel we won’t get many changes.

The only reason I think why it seems lots of factions got a bonus is close to half the factions are space marines, who all get the armour of contempt buff. Our codex is also one of 2 left to be released after both flavours of Knights come out. Could be holding out for that?

Just my 2 cents

I agree. While Daemons aren't great there are bigger fish for GW to fry, that and it's surely easier to do changes like this to these armies, as Daemons are fairly different in how they work especially with the god angle.

A Daemons codex is probably sooner than others, perhaps GW has more far reaching changes planned where time and resources can be spent better? As much as it would have been nice to get something, we'll need to wait and see. At least these seem like pretty good changes overall - an improvement more than not - so there can be hope for similar improvements for Daemons when the time comes :smile.:

I don't par-take in the Tournament scene, being one of a handful of armies still operating on an 8th ed codex I am surprised if this is an indication that Daemons are not poorly in the tournament scene. I'd expect if they are it's via a handful of repeated army lists. I'd also be surprised if copy pasted army lists don't  exist for any armies that are doing worse.

Though I do enjoy the one downmanship for some reason.

My Codex 9th edition codex now sucks, says an Custodes player. A 9th edition codex, says an IG player. All I've had is 2 lines in an dataslate. 2 Lines in a dataslate! we could only dream of such things says a Daemons players. We've not had anything since Legions of the Dark Prince. A post psychic awakening update says a World eaters player...  and so on!

The above is not to be taken literally and is intended to be humorous.

I'm getting the foreboding feeling that Daemons could be the top of the mountain when it comes to "one-downing" ourselves compared to other codexs.

Nothing at all?

Oh, I wouldn't say we got nothing our lesser daemons took a nerf with 'armour of contempt' and IG auto-wounding of 6's.  Seriously, hoping we get a new codex this year.

Edited by Sersi

Unfortunately I think the real issue here is Daemons not being more popular, GW has limited resources so they will go for the lower hanging fruit. Daemons do have some good builds albeit limited ones as far as I am aware, and I've done well enough to see that they could do decent performances in tourney so this is my understanding also. This may be counter productive as the codex is seen to be better than it is, it is technically four (five) armies in a codex so a good Slaanesh build means nothing to other god builds for example.

It is disappointing to not get any help, but neither is it a surprise. A new codex could be the revamp Daemons need but sadly that doesn't seem any time soon :confused: Oh well, nobody came here because the army was top tier right? :wink: I am following Slaanesh with an excess of patience waiting for the new codex :laugh.:

Unfortunately I think the real issue here is Daemons not being more popular, GW has limited resources so they will go for the lower hanging fruit.

You need to remember that Daemons or the models play in 2, soon to be 3, possibly 4 systems. Plus Kill Team

Age of Sigmar

Horus Heresy

Warhammer Fanastsy Old World

I'd be willing to place a £5 bet that they outsell therefore at least a third if not a half of 40k armies.

If you are indicating that GW will release and explanation for the changes and also by extension why some factions did not receive updates. I'd very much welcome such openness, but I'd be extremely surprised if that ever came. 

GW produce excellent models, as well as good background "fluff", however sadly they've never been particularity good at producing rules. I believe they've even come out and said that is not what they intend to do.

The result we have all observed, and the longer you've been playing the more you've probably seen it. Some armies just get "left behind". I've seen it happen to Sisters, Dark Eldar, even some of the Space Marine sub-factions. And well now it's just Deamon's term.

I don't think it would have been beyond GW to put out an update of some description. I don't know why they didn't do that (other than the president I've already mentioned), sometimes GW respond to whoever is complaining the loudest (which is my current fruitless endeavor). Of course they have to make commercial decisions and has already been pointed out if they are basing their information around high-end ultra competitive tournaments and they see a Daemon player in the top 25% now and again, then they may conclude there is no problem. Sadly this is probably not the reality of the situation for most players.

Only in that if the Daemons codex popped out in the next few weeks we'd know that was why they didn't do anything, especially if it featured significant changes in how the army works (which I expect/hope), but from what we've heard from the rumours and such that feels highly unlikely.

The codex cycle and its flaws are well known by now I expect, and the phrase "codex creep" is ancient for good reason unfortunately I think this approach is set in stone :sad.: I think GW is better now at getting data but as you say it's not enough to have some; you've got to know what to do with it.

I'm taking a similar approach to my Guard. Both armies seem to have GW unsure of what to do with them and with the shake ups we're seeing in 9th codices we can hope that the time is being spent well with a good rethink and update to these armies. That said, the Hammer of the Emperor rule does suggest that they don't have the answer for Guard yet but perhaps it is a temporary plaster? :confused:

We must wait and see as always, I've had a decent enough innings with this codex so I can busy myself with other armies and work on more Daemon models here and there in the meantime. It's not much of a solution, but you work with what you have :mellow.: