New to HH! Advice needed on Choosing a Legion

Not everything maps the same. Heavy support squads have equivalent loadout across the board, including the Sergeant (i.e., a 5-man squad has 5 heavy bolters, or 5 lascannons, etc.). There is no special/heavy weapons in a standard tactical squad, only allowed in veteran squad. So for these infantry squads, you'll probably need to do some work on them.

The Predator with dual las didn't have a profile before, but I think it does in 2E. The other main gun and both sponson types do.

Yes for combi-bolter/power fist. Storm bolter doesn't exist, but a pretty direct map. This isn't the standard loadout, so it'll be a bit heavier in points, but a valid one.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

In most cases you can get by though it might mean you will pick some less popular choices. Like you can use a Devastator squad as a Heavy Support Squad but you lose out on a Sarge's heavy weapon. As mentioned Terminators with only Fists are fine though commonly in 30k some squad memebers take cheaper power weapons. So it's doable and a good start but you do lose a bit of flexibility, not that it matters too much for your first games in 30k.

I'd say easiest 'swaps' (40k -> 30k) are:

• Tacticals -> Veteran Squad (could add a few power weapons) or Tactical Squad (no special/heavy then)
  • Assault sq w/ jump packs -> Assault Squad  (could add a few power weapons)
  • Assault sq w/out jump packs -> Tactical Squad with CCW
  • Terminators w/ Claws or Fists -> Terminators (could replace some with cheaper power weapons/combis)
  • Sternguard / Veterans / Any squad with bolters/combi-weapons really -> Veteran or Seeker squad
  • Veterans with Special weapons -> Tactical Support Squad

Tanks, bikes, speeders, dreadnoughts could be fine depending on the armament.

Of course there are a few weapons that are either 30k or 40k exclusive. Mostly no Storm Shields here, but access to lil' Combat and Boarding shields. Grav-cannons and grav-guns are absent but we have a different graviton gun. Assault cannons are only really used on Dreadnoughts yet there are little rotor cannons for the infantry. In 30k you will also commonly find Volkite Weaponry and more unique melee weapons. 

If you aren't uptight about squad markings a collection of 40k marines can be reconfigured to 30k units quite easily, if you own enough infantry. Looking at my battle company I could take my four missile devastators, add a fifth missile launcher from a tactical squad and merge the bolter dudes from both into a tactical squad. Special weapons, sergeants and veterans can be grouped into veteran or tactical support squads. Anyone with a scoped or otherwise tacticool boltgun might form a seeker squad.

Most vehicles from before the primaris age crossover. Rhinos, whirlwinds, predators and vindicators are fine. Land raider crusaders and razorbacks don't exist. I believe there is a question mark over the classic boxy dreadnought based on its absence from recent leaks.

So question, as I'd like to get into Horus Heresy when it  comes out...my Iron Hands 40k army is all baby marines...can I use my tacticals and other models as HH tactical marines?

Here's my take: You CAN almost use any general 40k marine/guard/AdMech unit you'd like. Any reasonable person won't begrudge you for bringing 40k units as proxies but I would say do plan to transition out your 40k stuff for HH stuff when able if you intend to play with random people. Proper HH units just makes for a more exciting and immersive game when you have period appropriate units duking it out in Future Historicals™.