The Lion’s own. A Dark Angels HH thread

Ok people, I’m taking the plunge and I’m going to build an HH Dark Angels force.

I have recently read Descent of Angels and now I’m hooked.

Also imo Lion’el Johnson is the best Primarch model.

Before I get too carried away I’m thinking of painting them black, green and bone rather than the usual black and red. (I’m currently working on a Black Templars project so I’d like there to be some differentiation between the two armies)

So is there any lore reason I can’t use the traditional palette on my 30k Dark Angels?

Any help would be appreciated.

Black with green edge highlighting looks ok, someone did that way back when Tempus Fugitives were doing HH rules and it looked pretty good. I think the 'loyalist' DA's led by Luthor had green in their scheme to represent the forests of Caliban unlike the Traitors from Terra in the black. ;) Has been a while since I read the DA books though so I may have gotten confused on why they had the green. 

Black and bone is definitely used for Deathwing, so you can easily incorporate that or make some twist with that.

Not as certain on Green as far as a primary color, but as said, the Legion is a big place. I have done shoulderpads in green, which can add a nice touch.

The variant Inner Circle Knights Cenobium used white as their primary color, so that looks like a cool area to explore altering color schemes possibly even further by making up a Knight Order.

Looking forward to seeing you tackle the first legion. As for the colours, I'll echo the others, the Calibanites tended to go for a green shoulder pad, bone appears on some of their elites and also the Dark Angels have tonnes of heraldry and alternative armour plate due to their background of knightly orders!

Well Forgeworld sent out my Praetor at warp speed!

Had a chance to play around with this Praetor and I’m happy with the colours. I’ve gone with a dark and brooding scheme, hopefully that comes across.

I think the head gets a little lost but I think that’s just how this model is.

I’m really looking forward to the HH event next week (not going sadly but will be watching it with interest)

Can’t remember where but I read that it’s safe to buy Cataphractii models as they’ll still be the same scale.

Here’s the pics:

52040986042_0a18cf3544_c.jpgHH Dark Angels Praetor

52042032306_cc38cf5a6b_c.jpgHH Dark Angels Praetor

52042032341_1213a96478_c.jpgHH Dark Angels Praetor

52040986077_f5457975b1_c.jpgHH Dark Angels Praetor

52040986057_40b16bda4f_c.jpgHH Dark Angels Praetor

Thanks for looking!

I'm late but a Green shoulder pad behind the chapter symbol denotes a warrior from Calaban not from Terra so...  Yes.  Green and Bone are definately allowed.   Also there is so much vagueness about heraldry that anything is allowable under:  "Thats what the markings of my company look like." 

Thanks Marshall Mittens!

Raziel-TX not sure what I’ll get next, I’m waiting to see what happens next week (HH event)

LameBeard, I originally went with Runelord brass which I thought was a little too muted so the Retributor Gold came out!

I’m really happy with that cloak.

Thanks Brother dean, glad to hear that. Definitely the scheme I’ll be moving forward with!

Here’s hoping the HH open day is massively positive!

• 1 year later...

Thought I’d resurrect this thread as I’ll be working on my Dark Angels again soon.

I’ve made a bit of progress so here’s a few pics of the Lion and my first Deathwing Companion!

52780184249_b18eeb2469_c.jpgDark Angels Deathwing Companion 

52780184239_99f03aa319_c.jpgDark Angels Deathwing Companion 

52718629498_f7e10ec3c6_c.jpgLion El’ Jonson Primarch of the Dark Angels 

52718403409_bf353ba3e1_c.jpgLion El’ Jonson Primarch of the Dark Angels 

52718403304_fd18536118_c.jpgLion El’ Jonson Primarch of the Dark Angels 

As you can see, I’ve continued with a black, green and bone colour scheme.

I had done a Black Templars force for my brother so I wanted these to look a bit different.

Next up I’ll be adding to my Deathwing Companions.

For Lion! For Caliban!

This is a controversial opinion but I really like Descent of Angels because of its focus on pre-Imperial Caliban society and the knightly orders. It establishes ritual and secrecy as a core part of the Order's identity that is carried over into the Legion and if you're familiar with the Dark Angels in 40k can be read as one big pile of tragic foreshadowing. The last part, after they leave Caliban, is balls however and best ignored.

You can skip Fallen Angels without missing much but the short story Savage Weapons is excellent and the novella The Lion is also pretty good.

Angels of Caliban has some great moments but is tied in with the Imperium Secundus arc so YMMV. I recommend this after DoA so that you're familiar with the cast, and possibly do Unremembered Empire first too if you want the whole meta-plot.

Luther also portrays Caliban in the pre-Imperial period (via flashbacks) and does so in an overall more satisfying narrative.

Edit: there's a 45min HH audio drama set on Caliban that I enjoyed but I can't recall the name of right now. IIRC it slots in before Angels of Caliban. There should be a narrative of simmering resentment and betrayal running through the HH Dark Angels stories but with so many different authors and no real conclusion (yet?) it's difficult to say if this is the case, or how well it's portrayed.

Edited by Cactus

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Cactus! I’ll look it up.

This week’s update is a Herald for my Dark Angels.

I really wanted to do a Cataphractii Herald to go with my Inner Circle Knights.

So I kitbashed this:

53223756104_137fbf591f_c.jpg30k Dark Angels Herald 

53222499377_7d5b0c63df_c.jpg30k Dark Angels Herald 

53223682718_00c0473d38_c.jpg30k Dark Angels Herald 

53222499382_8edccd0161_c.jpg30k Dark Angels Herald 

I think the conversion is a bit on the rough side but I think I get away with it!

I’ve stuck with the green, black and ivory scheme and I feel it works.

It looks great, I like the conversion. There's some really cool stuff you can do mixing the Deathwing kit with the 30k terminator kits. It's how I made a Tartaros Deathwing Companion, although I need to convert the rest of the squad sometime.