Aothaine's Silver Blades Project

Aothaine

Silver Blades﴿

8th Brotherhood

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

***WORK IN PROGRESS***

Painting Details

I will be painting my army in the Grimdark fashion. I am still looking at guides and will be buying my air brush and paints on the 6th of June. Once they arrive I will start painting and share pictures of my progress. I am still looking at difference of Grimdark painting silver, but I know I want my blades super bright like the swords in the picture.

Grey-Knights-e1502375816570.jpg

Models

I am starting out by building my force for LVO 2023. Once that is finished I will continue to expand on building other units for the 8th brotherhood. I will be starting with a Brotherhood Terminator Squad. First model I'll be getting built soon is a terminator with nemesis warding stave. 

Planning

I am planning on a Terminator themed army for the LVO 2023. So Every until will be in Terminator armor or a transport for Terminator armor. So no Dreadknights, Purifiers, etc. I am thinking about running two max sized paladin squads, three 5man terminator squads, two apothecaries to go with the paladins, a chaplain, a librarian, grandmaster. Still a little wishy washy on the list. I have a few months to pull everything together so there is no rush.

Edited by Aothaine

Interesting. I've seen grimdark silver painted a few times. Its normally something I'm not personally fond of because it just looks like silver covered in pigment/wash. (which is normally what it is).

I think the best way to do silver in this fashion, is to not actually use silver at all. But greys and blues to give the appearance if silver.

But I'm a rubbish painter so unfortunately couldn't really give any usable advice

Looking forward to seeing your new progress. I’ve also chosen the Silver Blades as my Brotherhood.

I’ve recently stripped all my Power Armour units, replaced my old metal Terminators with plastic and have tried to increase their sizes with plasticard and green stuff.

Not got round to painting them yet as I’ve been concentrating on my Salamanders Successor army that has been built but left grey for two years but hoping to have them finished in a couple of weeks and then I’ll start on the Sons of Titan.

Interesting. I've seen grimdark silver painted a few times. Its normally something I'm not personally fond of because it just looks like silver covered in pigment/wash. (which is normally what it is).

I think the best way to do silver in this fashion, is to not actually use silver at all. But greys and blues to give the appearance if silver.

But I'm a rubbish painter so unfortunately couldn't really give any usable advice

Yeah I am still looking into the exact method I want to use. If you look at the cover of the 9th codex, you see what I'm going for. The Grey Knight on the right in the front. Really dark and the shine will show the armor being silver.

Also, there is a specific method I'll be using for the base armor. 

Richard Gray's method of stippling the paint on. Using grays and blues instead of metals is an amazing idea! I was wondering how the metal would look after the oil washes. One benefit of the oil washes though is you can reactivate them and move it around to make sure the blend is smooth and you don't get that strange look. But my goal is to copy and modify his tutorial for my silver boys.

Also, my hands shake and my vision is horrible. I completely understand the rubbish at painting comment as I have a rough time of it as well.

Looking forward to seeing your new progress. I’ve also chosen the Silver Blades as my Brotherhood.

I’ve recently stripped all my Power Armour units, replaced my old metal Terminators with plastic and have tried to increase their sizes with plasticard and green stuff.

Not got round to painting them yet as I’ve been concentrating on my Salamanders Successor army that has been built but left grey for two years but hoping to have them finished in a couple of weeks and then I’ll start on the Sons of Titan.

Nice! Be sure you share you're progress when you can! I like the 8th Brotherhood's rules but I like that they are an all-rounder brotherhood in the lore the most. :D One of the main reasons I settled on Grey Knights was due to stormbolters. Stormbolers are my favorite weapon in the game and the 8th Brotherhood's rules seem to give those weapons the best buffs. Temporal Accuracy is amazing and lets me enact cool scenes in games where my boys will be in melee and unloading stormbolters into the enemies' faces!

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

Been really busy with life recently. But I'm planning on finishing up my first terminator this weekend. Going to get all five of my first box built before making the big purchase on an air brush. After I get the air brush I will need to practice priming with it. I have a few models I can test on before going hog wild on my precious Grey Knights. :D

Reset assured brothers. This project will be completed. Though, maybe not in time for LVO 2023. Turns out my vacation to the Philippines will be happening then. So, maybe 2024. But I'll start making my rounds around the gaming stores in the Las Vegas area for sure in a few months. 

I'll get a picture up this weekend, unpainted so not too entertaining but still progress!

• 4 weeks later...