Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Legions of the Horus Heresy - White Scars

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Marshall Mittens

Marshall Mittens

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 632 posts
I liked the article and don't mind thr cheekiness of it. The army in it looks great.

sml_gallery_94427_17329_1037.jpgsml_gallery_94427_17329_1754.jpg

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,529 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
@stranger order the rules are unchanged from their playtest version. They're obviously different from their 1st edition which:

-count outriders and skyhunters as troops
-give all bikes and jetbikes hit and run
-give all infantry without big guns hit and run and outflank
-give all infantry with big guns outflank

So it's...worse? It depends on how you read the "count as", as you might be stuck with them in the fast attack slot raw. Another terribly written scars rule coming out of malevolence lol; new CB is worse than the intended version, better than the raw version.

As for the army; the white looked great, but it was all white. Red is very much supposed to be a secondary color, to the point where it almost competes with the white. Shoulder pads, trim, studs, more transfers, freehand. Something.

The GW scheme had more red in it...

Edited by SkimaskMohawk, 13 May 2022 - 08:03 PM.

• StrangerOrders likes this

zmuDiOv.jpg

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,316 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Really not enjoying the writing style employed in these articles 😒
  • Marshal Loss, Dosjetka, Helias Tancred and 3 others like this

gallery_62972_14467_5178.jpggallery_62972_14467_1351.jpggallery_48988_15094_4929.pnggallery_62972_14467_2702.jpggallery_48988_15094_2403.pnggallery_62972_14467_4151.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Blogs Blood Angels | Veritas Vitae | Battle Reports | Terrain | IXth Legion | Miscellaneous Imperials | Delaque | Daemons
1000 Scout list W:1 D:0 L:1
1250 Death Company List (jump) W:1 D:0 L:0
1500 Light Mech List W:0 D:0 L:2 | Dreadnought List W:2 D:0 L:2
1750 Hybrid List W:0 D:0 L:0
1850 Death Company List (mech) W:0 D:0 L:0
2000 Heavy Mech List W:0 D:0 L:2 | Two Towers List W:4 D:0 L:8
Apocalypse W:1 D:0 L:0 | Heresy 2500 Mechanised IXth W:2 D:1 L:0

brother_b

brother_b

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,362 posts
I mean bikes are a cool part of white scars but it looks entirely focused on bikes. Wondering if there’ll be other abilities.

spessmarine

spessmarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 403 posts

Regardless of elitism discourse

Their love of speed was matched only by their unflagging self-confidence, and the Legion’s no-scope 720 tactics came to define their attitude to combat.

Is painful to read. Painglove the series.

That aside...

If these articles proceed daily, over the weekend, the 18th and final one falls on Friday May 27th. Sure feels like a good note to end on a day before pre-orders go up.

I think it will be a two week cycle per usual edition launches and release June 11th.

• Marshal Loss and SufficientAnonymity like this

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,465 posts

Really not enjoying the writing style employed in these articles 😒

Black library is fine though ;)

I'd thought the 28th looked like a good day for pre orders :)
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

Helias Tancred

Helias Tancred

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels and Dark Angels

Really not enjoying the writing style employed in these articles

Which is causing me to not hold my breath to see how GW does the Horus Heresy game especially handling the lore and characters. I'm a little nervous.

Eilio Tiberius on Instagram

where my hobby pics are kept .... 

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,465 posts

Which is causing me to not hold my breath to see how GW does the Horus Heresy game especially handling the lore and characters. I'm a little nervous.

With respect 🤦 some daft articles on WarCom don't represent what the books or lore are. This to be honest is just baseless scaremongering and looking for something to grumble about where there'll be no need. There's nothing product wise that would indicate that there's anything to worry about.

Get back to enjoying the Renaissance of heresy.

With respect 🤦 some daft articles on WarCom don't represent what the books or lore are. This to be honest is just baseless scaremongering and looking for something to grumble about where there'll be no need. There's nothing product wise that would indicate that there's anything to worry about.

Get back to enjoying the Renaissance of heresy.
  • firestorm40k, Cactus, Gamiel and 3 others like this
Hidden Content

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,610 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, World Eaters
I'm thinking they're targeting a younger audience who've not been exposed to Heresy much, given it's been a bit... moribund for a few years. So it's basically some marketing attempt at "what-ho fellow 14 year olds, we are hip like you". It's like the James Workshop cringe stuff, we're not the target audience.

Fortunately, marketing doesn't write the rules or fluff in the books, so no reason it should show up there. We can just skim the uh, "expressive" prose and look out for the rules fragments. And hope it doesn't spread elsewhere on war com!

Edited by Arkhanist, 14 May 2022 - 04:57 AM.

gallery_48988_15465_8206.pnggallery_53969_15812_3395.gifgallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,593 posts
  • Pronouns:he/him
  • Faction: AT Fureans, AT Solaria

You know the people writing the articles online aren’t writing the books, right?

• Brother Adelard likes this

matcap86

matcap86

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 501 posts
  • Faction: DA, Custo, Ad-mech, GsC, SoB
For people enjoying the look of the army: it was painted by Andy and Henry from Cult of Paint. They said there will be several how to videos on their (excellent) youtube channel. https://youtube.com/...2hlWZqz0tRqg4qQ

Edited by matcap86, 14 May 2022 - 08:23 AM.

• Gamiel, Khornestar, Fulkes and 1 other like this

Captain Taelos

Captain Taelos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 200 posts

I'm thinking they're targeting a younger audience who've not been exposed to Heresy much, given it's been a bit... moribund for a few years. So it's basically some marketing attempt at "what-ho fellow 14 year olds, we are hip like you". It's like the James Workshop cringe stuff, we're not the target audience.

Fortunately, marketing doesn't write the rules or fluff in the books, so no reason it should show up there. We can just skim the uh, "expressive" prose and look out for the rules fragments. And hope it doesn't spread elsewhere on war com!

Which I just don't get - when I was young and getting into the hobby, the serious tone of White Dwarf articles was a big plus for me. Here was a hobby that treated me like an adult.
  • Son of Sacrifice and MegaVolt87 like this

alfred_the_great

alfred_the_great

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 300 posts
Don’t like the articles, don’t read them?
  • firestorm40k, fire golem, Khornestar and 1 other like this

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,610 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, World Eaters

Which I just don't get - when I was young and getting into the hobby, the serious tone of White Dwarf articles was a big plus for me. Here was a hobby that treated me like an adult.

Not every gimmick is a good one. I have to work closely with my company's marketing department (being in IT), and some of their ideas are... out there. The problem I think with marketing is, you never know in advance what's gonna work and what's gonna stink, and it's not even that easy to tell afterwards - did they buy the thing because of the marketing, or despite it? Who knows! Because who actually fills out surveys. I don't envy them really, at least I generally know pretty quickly when my systems needs some percussive maintenance.

• N1SB likes this

gallery_48988_15465_8206.pnggallery_53969_15812_3395.gifgallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,465 posts

I've been teaching since 2005 and can testify that there's been huge societal shifts even in this short time. Things have changed a lot since "we were kids" and arguably due to social media attention spans and such have totally changed. I've taught in both UK and Canada and you can see it. Even WD itself the articles are a lot thinner and the word count in battle reports is deeply saddening how it's changed.

All that said, I'm indifferent on the tone but enjoying seeing the rules snippets. If we don't see a character or leviathan next week I'm intrigued as to what comes next.

I'd quite like to see either jetbikes - bullock pattern, or an assault/ breachers squad. However, not sure we will just yet.
  • N1SB likes this
Hidden Content

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,542 posts
I was going to say, the writing tone is certainly a choice. Not that it's bad, but because knowing the Horus Heresy audience it'd cause folks to become needlessly hostile. Heresy is the Always Serious All The Time wing of the fandom, filled with the.most veteran and hardcore hobbyists.

That said GW is looking to make the heresy more accessible to mainstream hobbyists, so there's going to be culture shock coming with different kinds of players suddenly interacting.

Edited by Wispy, 14 May 2022 - 01:35 PM.

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,088 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

I was going to say, the writing tone is certainly a choice. Not that it's bad, but because knowing the Horus Heresy audience it'd cause folks to become needlessly hostile. Heresy is the Always Serious All The Time wing of the fandom, filled with the.most veteran and hardcore hobbyists.

That said GW is looking to make the heresy more accessible to mainstream hobbyists, so there's going to be culture shock coming with different kinds of players suddenly interacting.

The folks already in aren't the target audience of these articles. For example, I don't need to know about the 1st Legion, I have Book 9 and I have a Dark Angels army. The only thing really of interest to most of the existing audience are the small rules snippets and some of the art/painted stuff. Other than that, I personally just skim through these.

To add, with this and the 'pick your legion' thing, they're trying to address the indecisiveness someone new to the game might have. We'll see how that pans out, but if successful, I'd think it could get a few people that were on the fence to decide to commit.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion, 14 May 2022 - 01:43 PM.

No Foes Remain

No Foes Remain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,444 posts
  • Faction: See signature plan

I just don't think this should be the tone of writing GW should be using period just doesn't seem professional at all for one of their supposed flagship games, I haven't seen anything like this in 40k or AoS articles (though to be fair I don't really read the AoS ones) so why did they chose to go this way with a old game given a new lease on life?

• Son of Sacrifice likes this

Ultramarines Legion: 103rd Company 'Ultimas of War', 10th Chapter, 249th Company, 24th Chapter

Halcyon Dominion's Spartii Imperialis Auxilia; Knight House Cousland

38th Company, Sons of Horus Legion -

-----

Astral Claws 5th Company; XII Tyrant's Legion

Void Angels Adeptus Astartes Chapter

Knight House Cousland

Void Knights Chaos Chapter

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,465 posts

I just don't think this should be the tone of writing GW should be using period just doesn't seem professional at all for one of their supposed flagship games, I haven't seen anything like this in 40k or AoS articles (though to be fair I don't really read the AoS ones) so why did they chose to go this way with a old game given a new lease on life?

Who knows but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. Once the articles are done, within a week people will have forgotten all about it.

What really matters is game mechanics, minis and fluff. These articles really shouldn't be forming the focus of discussion because they really, really, don't matter.
  • Dosjetka and WrathOfTheLion like this
Hidden Content

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,014 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion, Escher
=][= And on that wise note, it's time to move on from discussing the writing style of the article to discussing the actual contents. Thank you. =][=
  • firestorm40k, Khornestar, 01RTB01 and 1 other like this

spessmarine

spessmarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 403 posts

Regardless of elitism discourse

Their love of speed was matched only by their unflagging self-confidence, and the Legion’s no-scope 720 tactics came to define their attitude to combat.

Is painful to read. Painglove the series.

That aside...

If these articles proceed daily, over the weekend, the 18th and final one falls on Friday May 27th. Sure feels like a good note to end on a day before pre-orders go up.

I think it will be a two week cycle per usual edition launches and release June 11th.

Alright, guess not then. Last legion on a Thursday then.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users