'What, then, are we to make of them, this strange group from beyond the Rim? Words have power. One must be careful to avoid legitimising this threat. Thus, only one label will suit to neuter reports of these frauds: pseudolegion.'

[//Tang Rejarrad, Ordo Pacificus+]

ADC073D1-A91B-405A-BC3C-4B54456F3379.jpe

[//Redacted+]

In between other things, I've been working away at this project for more than a year, a period that saw a problem with sharing images here. That (happily) seems to have been resolved, so now I've got some way to post them, I thought I'd share some finished shots here. Hope you like 'em!

2638DA32-E954-4DA9-8407-E1D0A0458CE6.jpe

[//Redacted+]

Having said 'finished', the Predator's still on the workbench; I've been playing about with some oil washes, so waiting for those to dry before I move on.

875BCFBA-B397-4CE6-950D-C5115E6E0B06.jpe

[//Redacted+]

Edited by apologist

• 2 weeks later...

"Ah yes, my dear Banquis, that archive has a black seal. I strongly suggest you leave it as you found it. Come we have work to do and these old vaults are prone to outages that leave one adrift in darkness. Come boy, come." 

"...but magister, what could be so foul as to have a black seal!?"

"...some things are best left forgotten, Banquis. Now come along, I haven't got the time for this, neither have you. Strike it from your mind, this archive doesn't exist." 

Always a pleasure seeing the Silver Stars. 

• 5 weeks later...

B164B31C-B448-47AB-80F0-A315677E3001.thumb.jpeg.53c4d6b82e09930ee71a154ab130ef3c.jpeg

‘Fury, or sorrow, or desperation, or determination bled from their allies. Marines Saturnine; Red Fish; Void Barons; Jade Talons… all seemed invested with passion of one sort or another.’

‘Not so the pseudolegion. None of the Riven Lords’ hatred; nor even of the Wormwood Sons’ evident distaste. The children of the False Primarch fought as though three thousand years hadn’t happened; as though they could unite the galaxy again; seemingly unaware that the Imperium belonged firmly to the High Lords of Terra.’

I Want To Know

Edited by apologist

+ Painting Silver Stars + 

5C8902EB-1CA5-4A2A-BD40-EE22FBC23919.jpeg

Some things may be best forgotten, but how you paint a uniform isn't one of them. I thought I'd exload my approach to painting the cool white I'm using for this mysterious possible-Legion of Space Marines.

+ Silver Stars Astartes: painting white +
Whether the Silver Stars are a Legion of marines or not, they seem to favour Mark II Crusade Armour. The bodies and legs are from Txarli Factory; the remainder of the figures from a variety of GW and FW kits. As always, this proves the benefit of a deep bits box: I bought the Crusade Armour bits used here years ago, intending to use them for my Praetors of Calth Ultramarines. One side project after another, I decided that it was a shame they sat languishing, so I dug them out, and was pleasantly surprised to find I had a decent little pile of them – some twenty in all.

+ Painting Silver Stars +
_1 Assemble your marine as normal. The bases I've used here are from Unreal Wargaming.

4A9486D4-2748-4E59-A6C3-84519440CBD1.jpeg

_2 Prime using Halford's Grey Primer.

DDD1BB63-8622-42A3-A4A8-A2F20591AD1E.jpeg

_3 Paint the base colours. I block in the metals with black (though note I've used Dryad Bark for the gorget, which will be gold. You can use them fairly interchangeably, but I think I'll proceed with brown for gold, and black for silver). I've used Sotek Green for the blue-turquoise, which seems to be nigh-identical to the old Hawk Turquoise.

7B4DEEB0-5C93-4100-A4A0-077B669C5B0B.jpeg

4_I've used 'Mummy Robes' from The Army Painter's Warpaints range [+noosphericinloadlink embedded+], a lovely smooth warm white. This takes two layers to get a smooth surface. Once dry, I overlay it with Apothecary White, one of Citadel's new Contrast range of paints. This is a lovely quick way to get some initial shading it – and perhaps more importantly, to help you identify where to pick out later.

D292CBD5-55A6-4A68-A16F-1E91830386D9.jpeg

5_ From here, it's essentially refining. This is a bit of a jump from the previous stage, I confess! Here, I've gone back over the white with more Mummy Robes, adding Vallejo's Off-White for highlights. I've also used Daler-Rowney's Payne's Grey acrylic ink, diluted with flow improver, to line the stronger shadows. I've used the same combination of colours to add weathering and scratches to the white armour – I suggest you do this sparingly, and don't make them so high contrast as you would on darker hues: white paint is obviously very high in value, and so marks look much more striking and obvious than on a low value hue.

41DDAEC1-7481-437B-9368-0DFD18BA3F22.jpeg

The blue-turquoise highlights are simply Sotek Green with increasing amounts of Off-White. The gold is Balthasar Gold followed by Shining Gold, washed with two layers of Seraphim Sepia, with touches of Leviathan Purple added wet-in-wet. The two washes are also used over Iron Warriors (the modern Boltgun Metal equivalent) for the silver areas like the boltgun and backpack.

+++

Edited by apologist
Adding pictures

• 2 months later...

‘It was Fabius’s third consulship. That year the sea caught fire. At Sinuessa a cow dropped a colt; at Lanuvium statues in the temple of Juno Sospita oozed blood, and it rained stones outside. Because of this ominous shower there were the customary nine days of religious observance; the other prodigies were expiated into the appropriate manner.’

[//Livy, The War with Hannibal+]

B3D1BA16-25D9-4B16-B7AE-5FCD465BB702.thumb.jpeg.b07fa9b03e9703049d4708514ae2b509.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
2C66F2BB-0E25-423F-88A2-0214BCCA037B.jpeg

Ten tiny Silver Stars. These were painted with a stripped-back version of my scheme for their larger-scale brethren.

_1 Spray with GW's Wraithbone undercoat.
_2 Paint the base with a deep brown.
_3 Paint the whole figure with Apothecary White – the contrast paints are absolutely stellar for these small scale figures.
_4 Once dry, pick out the backpack and boltgun with a mix of brown and black diluted with flow improver (this makes it behave a little like a wash, so you get a deeper tone in the recesses).
_5 Use Sotek Green to paint the chestplate and helm.
_6 Paint the pauldron stripes with Screamer Pink.
_6 Paint the backpack and boltgun details with silver.
_7 Pick out the shoulder trim and chestplate with Balthasar Gold – at this scale, the paint has enough coverage to work straight over the white undercoat, which is a great timesaver.
_8 Once dry, add the washes: Agrax Earthshade over the backpack, boltgun, and gold areas; and Drakenhof Nightshade for the turquoise areas.
_9 Allow to dry, then pick out any details to finish.

399F28AA-5396-4F41-8C3C-4708B9C2B926.jpeg

I added highlights to the helms by adding a little Vallejo Cold White to the Sotek Green, and also used Cold White to pick out the Legion* symbols and other markings on the pauldron. I also picked out some squad designation on the kneepads with simple stripes of Screamer Pink.

44D182E7-D7D9-4C0B-8AF9-6FD1A52A1A85.jpeg

Casualties proved a good way to test out the scheme on different armour marks.

CDA7DC39-C44C-4A08-8BC4-0BBCAD14FE03.jpeg

+ Echoes of Warzone Null +

36 minutes ago, Slave to Darkness said:

Love the travel 40k marines. What scale are they? 

I believe they're designed as Epic-scale miniatures, to be in scale with Adeptus Titanicus and Aeronautica Imperialis – here, though, they've been printed to be ~15mm tall for a custom ruleset we're playing about with. You can read more about that here, if you like :)