Will Squats get a 9th/10th Ed Codex before Daemons

So it looks like It will be IG next, and I don't think there's even been any Codex Daemon related leak. There has been a lot of Squat stuff though...

Will Squats get a 9th/10th Ed Codex before Daemons?

Unless we get  a new codex with no new models, AM/IG is almost certainly going to get a new codex before daemons.

And I don't see it as cynically as StD - a new miniature line, while potentially more profitable, is a huge expense, and in comparison a new daemon codex is less expensive as aside from the cost of designing and printing the codex itself it is almost all sunk (so already paid) costs - rather its a matter of there being no rumours for daemons while there are for AM/IG.

And well absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence, my money would be on the reason why aren't seeing any rumours of it yet is that there is nothing to rumour.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

As a rule of thumb leaks/rumours indicate what is coming next, or at least soon, so the lack of anything Daemons suggest that they're further away but as Rumi says it's by no means guaranteed. GW can keep a lid on things sometimes :P

I'd hope that all existing armies get a codex update before Squats arrive, as we're approaching the end of this cycle that means 10th will follow so maybe that will still be the case - wouldn't it be a good idea to launch Squats with 10th? New army, new edition, maybe in the new edition's box?

Chaos daemons was the codex I was looking forward to the most this edition to see what they change. DG's disgustingly resilient changed, but is nurgle's changing? What will the mono bonus(es) be? Are they limiting it to one greater Daemon per Detatchment? Will there be an undivided bonus? I heard chaos marines will be able to take 25% daemons, that's exciting. I'm sure chaos daemons will be out before WE or squats. Probably last of the current factions but before new ones.

I´m really looking forward too for a daemon codex but I think it will be far away, propably to q4 or something. but I tihnk the new codex will be great when it comes, just hope every god will get some new unit. 

I´m really looking forward too for a daemon codex but I think it will be far away, propably to q4 or something. but I tihnk the new codex will be great when it comes, just hope every god will get some new unit. 

I agree with the 1st point.

New units, though!? I think there's too many units in 40k. I still remember being able to name every unit in Codex Space Marines from memory in a couple of minutes.

I'd expect they might lean into Khorne a bit. If there's a mechanic to include them in World Eaters, would make sense to redo some of the older sculpts, like Bloodletters, to go with that release.

• 5 weeks later...

Adding to this after quite some time has passed.

With the amount of news we get on the not-Squats, it seems safe to say that they will get their book before Daemons. Personally I see Daemons at some point in Fall, either before or together with the AoS StD book - and the new Daemon Prince as at least one new model for Daemons. I just hope it's not the only one...

Yeah I could do with some exciting Daemon stuff, I still have some Daemonettes and the mounted nettes from Wrath and Rapture to build but I have done so many over the years Im bored of them. The prince does look good but Im still working on a Belakor conversion I started at xmas time. 

Actually I just had a thought, as the prince is now massive I guess people will start moaning when I put the current mini down on the table, I still get people complaining that Im 'modelling for advantage' because I refuse to update my classic RoC era Greater Daemons with the new plastics. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this news where out of the blue but I like it! :) Finally we will get to play with the big boys (other codexies). Wonde rif we will get any new miniature? i´m less positive about that, seems like none so far but I hope it will change.

4 hours ago, Ulfast said:

Wonde rif we will get any new miniature? i´m less positive about that, seems like none so far but I hope it will change.

If I was betting, I'd say that the only new thing we would be getting is the new daemon prince that was revealed the other month. Possibly porting over existing models like the slaanesh twins from AoS. 

Hope we get the twins.  We lost furies but if we get them I'll be happy enough.  

Those rumors have me excited.  Those proposed changes were real improvements.  Though one of the local space marines are a little sad about null zone losing its effectiveness on daemons.

Can someone who's good a Math Compare compare these.

Current model is 18W, T7, 5++, 5+ FNP and can roll/buy on the exalted  to get T8 or 4+FNP

22W, T8, -1D and a 4++ or 5++ feels like it might be a bit of a "side grade"?

33 minutes ago, Battle Brother Abderus said:

Can someone who's good a Math Compare compare these.

Current model is 18W, T7, 5++, 5+ FNP and can roll/buy on the exalted  to get T8 or 4+FNP

22W, T8, -1D and a 4++ or 5++ feels like it might be a bit of a "side grade"?

Without doing math:

You got more wounds, higher T by default, damage reduction, -1 to hit, better Inv vs shooting, same save vs melee and same FNP. So everything is better or stays as it is. Only the exalted 4+ FNP is better, but then it is unlikely to get T8 as well.

How can this be a sidegrade?

If this turns out to be true, he is a tough nut to crack (as he should bei). Maybe you can push him further with Relic, WLT or psy :)

Edited by DeStinyFiSh

I think it might be side grade as FNP is really good.

It's the only protection vs Mortal wounds

5+ effective increases the wounds by a 3rd 4+ increases 2x.

-1D is nice but i don't think it will take 1D to 0D, FNP could do that.

I understand that the -1 to hit is now a automatic (currently a cast)  but FNP is now cast - remember you can only cast a power once per tern, so it's less of an multiple unit thing now. I'm not sure on the math, -1 to hit is more "everything or nothing", FNP is a roll every time the model takes a wound, No exceptions. Not being permanent you're always going to have it on the model, 1st turn, failed cast, needed somewhere else and so on.

The increase in toughness will effect weapons str4, 7,8 and 14. So str 4 will now be on 6s to wound. Not sure how that compares to a 5++ &  4+++ or 5+++ stacked.

I did overlook the better Inv vs shooting.

Why I asked for the Mathhammer.

Edited by Battle Brother Abderus

So the GUO will now have -1 to be hit built in? And 5+++ is a spell he can cast? 

Not saying the new GUO is a side grade, but as someone who exclusively played DG in 8th and 9th edition, going from 5+++ to -1D is a pretty big downgrade. -1D is only better for 2D attacks, mathematically the same for 3D, worse for 4D+, and does absolutely nothing towards 1D and MW's (which is pretty much half the damage in the game). I've played games using the old 5+++ instead and the results were amazing. Specially if you bring more high wound units like Daemon engines or play armies like Grey knights or thousand sons that can dish out the MW. Not a fan of the nerf and is one of the reasons I quit playing 40k.

Ah, OK, I missed the -1 to.hit and 5++ is only via casting.

I still think just by beeing T8 and having a 4++ against shooting he will be more survivable, but in the end he is then just as tough as a Knight with Ion Bulwark (more or less) and can get shot of the board in a single shooting phase. So I guess you want to go first with him in order to stack some buffs with psychic.

On the damage dealing side though, he got a lot better. 7 attacks and a swinging option for the sword plus the flamer is solid against hordes. Strikes still beeing DU damage sucks, but again, 7 attacks will help here.