Could I have gotten the wrong paint in my pot?

Urauloth

I added a pot of balthasar gold to my recent GW order (I would normally use Sale 75 metallics, but I wanted to try following a tutorial to the letter this time) and I'm a little surprised by how... not like balthasar gold it looks now it's arrived. It's a dark coppery colour, very similar to warplock bronze. So similar, in fact, that I'm quite sure that's actually what's in there despite what the label says.

Is there any precedent for this happening? It sounds absurd. The only other possibility I can think of is that they changed balthasar gold since I last saw it and it's a totally different colour when wet now.

I added a pot of balthasar gold to my recent GW order (I would normally use Sale 75 metallics, but I wanted to try following a tutorial to the letter this time) and I'm a little surprised by how... not like balthasar gold it looks now it's arrived. It's a dark coppery colour, very similar to warplock bronze. So similar, in fact, that I'm quite sure that's actually what's in there despite what the label says.

Is there any precedent for this happening? It sounds absurd. The only other possibility I can think of is that they changed balthasar gold since I last saw it and it's a totally different colour when wet now.

Having had a similar experience with the newer GW paint ranges lately my recommendation is to shake that mother like your life depends on it. No, really. Shake it, then shake it some more, and then when you think you've shaken it enough, shake it again. Get agitators too to help your wrists if you don't want to buy an electronic shaker. 

The colors will brighten drastically through motion as when they settle they become dull shadows of their actual selves. 

I’ve definitely had nuln oil gloss in a bottle that was meant to be just regular nuln oil before so I’ve no trouble believing they could’ve mixed up the paints as well as the washes.

Same, all my Guard look like they are wearing grey rubber trench coats. After batch painting them and then seeing how the ink dried you could say pissed off was an understatement. Ngl Im still annoyed 5 months later. 

I’ve definitely had nuln oil gloss in a bottle that was meant to be just regular nuln oil before so I’ve no trouble believing they could’ve mixed up the paints as well as the washes.

Same, all my Guard look like they are wearing grey rubber trench coats. After batch painting them and then seeing how the ink dried you could say pissed off was an understatement. Ngl Im still annoyed 5 months later. 

I accidentally used agrax gloss on something, although this was my fault, not a mislabel. Coming in with Lahmian medium afterwards and just giving it a coat or two of that helped take down the shine though, so you might be able to do something about it. That's what I did, as I wasn't going to repaint the things I had just messed up.

I accidentally used agrax gloss on something, although this was my fault, not a mislabel. Coming in with Lahmian medium afterwards and just giving it a coat or two of that helped take down the shine though, so you might be able to do something about it. That's what I did, as I wasn't going to repaint the things I had just messed up.

Ahh nice one, Ill give that a try. :thumbsup:

++EDIT++

Or I could just write it into the lore that they all have a flashing fetish and rubber coats feel nice. Something something Slaanesh. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

The medium thing should hopefully help a bit. Otherwise, I think I'd try a brush-on matte varnish, but obviously only after I'd tried a lot of cursing.

I'm not sure ofc, but I guess I can see pots being mixed up in the factory or similar. Otherwise, I'd say that Balthasar Gold does seem quite dark for a gold - I regularly use it for bronze and similar metals and actually really like how it's not super bright, but now I'm wondering if I just haven't shaken it enough :D

I have two pots of Balthasar Gold and although they look like totally different colours, I’m pretty sure it is this mixing issue. I find shaking just won’t do it, I have to stir (opposite of vodka martini).

And yes, it was never really a gold in the first place, it seems much too red for that.

When agrellan (?) earth came out I bought a pot to try out.

I got rakarth flesh in the pot instead aha

I ended up with more cracks in my sanity than I did on my bases with that paint. Awful stuff.

Edited by Slave to Darkness

I had what I hope was the same experience with AK paints, bought their sepia wash and it's a really heavy and glossy black watch. At least I hope it was a mistake.

As an aside it is a terrible paint, pools a lot, doesn't stick to my primer, bad coverage, very glossy. I'll give it 1 out of 5 cause I used it for my commisars trench coats (and had to apply it with a massive brush). Avoid