+ Tactica Project: Know Thy Foe +

Ranulf

These are some of the major things to look for and destroy in this order.

Raiders with Lord, Wych Lord, or Haemoncleaus, especially if accompanied by incubi ( very dangerous with there power weapons that raise str 1, plus their 5 wp, and their 3 up save).

Special characters. Especially Draz and Vect. Both have power weapon attacks. Draz has 3 and Vect has 5. Each of Draz's attacks causes two wounds for each hit. That means he can cause 8 wounds if he charges. Vect on his ship can have dark lances/distinegrators which can both cause some major damage, and they both reduce armor to 12.

Wyches. Run like heck if they are in a raider because then they will move 18 to 30 inches each turn. You do not want these units assulting you because they are very hard to beat. They have 5 wp, and a 4 up invulnerable save. And if equipped with wych weapons and combat drugs, they half your weapon skill if your str is 6 or under and you don't get extra close combat weapons, plus different effects from combat drugs.

Talos. Very strong in close combat. If anything try and shoot it down from long range. ( 6 wp, 3 bs, 7 str, 7 t, 3 w, 5 i, 3 sv, n Ld) The talos is fearless. Take advantage of it's gay wild fire special rule.

Jetbikes. Very fast and very strong. If they have combat drugs, they're even harder. Also with a succubus, they can be a very formidable opponent.

Ravagers. Three heavy weapons that can take down anything in just a few shots.

And if they are equipped with torture amps, don't get within 24" of them or they will tank shock you.

If you go for these first, you shouldn't have to much trouble fighting any dark eldar army.

A few things Wolf Seminole;

I definately agree with you on targetting the raiders with wyches/incubi first. Haemonculi are less of a priority, but are still dangerous when equipped with a destructor (AP D6 flamer).

As far as special characters go, the only ones you're likely to see are Urien Rakarth (sp?), the Decapitator, and Drahzar (and they're all opponents permission anyway, I believe). Of the three, Drazhar is the most dangerous, able to swap places with the DE lord in combat, with each wounding hit causing 2 wounds - definately a character killer.

The other two are alright - Urien always wounds with his weapons (making the destructor VERY vicious), but his lack of power weapons and I4 (I think) makes him an easy target once in HTH. Be VERY careful about the autowounding destructor though.

The Decapitator is better in HTH, able to deploy in much the same way as a lictor, making for an easy 1st turn assault. In HTH he'll do some damage with a power weapon and 6 attacks on the charge, but he's only got 2 wounds with a 5+ save, so won't generally last all that long.

Vect is rarely seen due to his high cost. He's basically a very fast dreadnought, able to dish it out both in shooting and HTH, although in HTH he loses his AV14, making him much more vulnerable to powerfists and the like. But like I said, you'll very rarely see him in games of 2000 points or less.

Wyches - another point I completely agree with you on. While they don't have the sheer killing power of incubi, they're nevertheless cheaper and capable of lasting alot longer in combat. Generally, they're the ultimate anti-HTH unit, as their abilities negate the major advantages of most assault units (2 CCWs and power weapons). If you can't shoot them down first, try to tie them up with "standard" marines, who won't lose any benefits from being in HTH with wyches (true grit aside...).

The Talos is one scary hombre', capable of swatting marines like they're flies. If your opponent has one, definately try shooting it, but not before you shoot the raider and ravagers, which I can assure you will pose a much more immediate threat. If it does get into HTH, power fists are the obvious way to take it down. Expect to take loses, but stupidly bad luck aside, powerfists will come through in the end.

A warning though - some players take a webway portal to deploy their talos's close to their enemy. The webway, once deployed, acts like a board edge for reserves emerging, so if you can't stop the portal being deployed, instead try to either move out of assault range from it or block it off with your own troops (units can't come within 1" of enemy models, so as long as your troops remain on the portal nothing can get out.

Jetbikes - To be honest Wolf Seminole, I've never found jetbikes to be all that dangerous. Their speed and ability to take 2 blasters makes them very good at tank hunting, but in assault, they'll fall easilly without any support, regardless of whether they have a succubus.

Ravagers - Yep, definately kill these things as soon as you can. Anything capable of killing an entire marine squad on their own should be very high on the priority list.

Torture amps ? I don't know anybody who has bothered putting torture amps on their ravagers - why tank shock when you can instead fire the equivalent of 3 plasma cannons?

Also, you can't tank shock using torture amps by moving over 12" - this was clarified in a FAQ somewhere.

Ok, so I was wrong about the tank shocking 24" . But about the jetbikes, they can be very good in both shooting and HTH. If they have a succubus, then they can have 3 blasters, one with the succubus and two with the regular reavers. Plus they all have splinter rifles on their bikes, so if they move 12" or less, then they can shoot both. That means a squad of 10 bikes with a succubus gets 20 shots. Even though they're weak guns, except for the blasters, that's probably enough shots to take down a squad of terminators.

I have a DE army, with Drazhar, Urien Rakarth, and Vect. Urien is actually pretty good in close combat, pretty much only because of his scissor hands ( two poison blades).

Vect is rarely seen due to his high cost. He's basically a very fast dreadnought, able to dish it out both in shooting and HTH, although in HTH he loses his AV14, making him much more vulnerable to powerfists and the like. But like I said, you'll very rarely see him in games of 2000 points or less.

Just so you know you will never see vect in a game of less than 2000 points or less because it takes a 2000 point army to field him.

Back to Tactics

Ranek your right about the jetbikes are truly deadly. They shoot you and weaken or even kill a squad outright, but then if it s not dead they'll charge and even more rines fall to there deadly stuff(for lack of correct name)

As for tank shocking ravagers I believe there is no point. For the raiders yes, but to tank shock a ravager is dumb especially into rines.

Every one in this forum has forgotten one thing. Warp Beasts. Ive heard of these mutts chewing on power armour for breakfast. Yes they arent seen often enough to truly plan on them but i would have a contigency plan to kill some of them

By the way long fangs with frag missle launchers are great against dark eldar but make sure you have at least one rhino and one bc on bikes to get to close combat with their warriors

So, what have we learned?

1. Kill the raiders, going from lord (especially with retinue) to wytches to warriors...

2. May want to kill the ravagers before blasting the warrior/wytches squads.. **Kill the most threatening unit first, if a ravager is close enough to shoot u and a raider is 30-odd inches away... get the ravager, its common sense**

3. Talos are easy enough to avoid, get em with a large gun of some sort....

4. Almost everything else is easy to destroy... Get them as they come..

-on a side note, hamenocleos *butchered it, i know* are nasty... get em if they have em...

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but you guys missed one important variant of the DE list.

The "I melt you" list, also known as "Army of Dark Lance", yeah bad pun was mine.

Against power armoured opponents, DE always shine, but this list is brutal in the shooting phase.

At 1,500 points you could see 18 Dark Lances and 9 Disintegrators. And they still would have Wyches waiting in the wings.

For 13th Company, wolves would be the way to go.

For regular wolves, I have yet to see a winning tactic against it.

For traited marines, Drop pods are okay, winning about 25% of the time.

Just my .02 diseased souls-as-currency.

And today was special as the entire board was PINK!

Archived