Mentor Legion

Da Orky Alchemist

So any of you who remember my old Mentor stuff, either here or on the OLD board... this is take four million and a half or whatever revision I'm on so far.

I'm going to start off with the new codex and build up since mostly I have every bit of official and unofficial fluff ever compiled on the boys in white and green....

Mentors have a "Notable Divergence" from the Codex Astartes and have the "See but don't be seen" and "Trust your battle brothers" traits balanced with the "Aspire to glory" drawback.

See but dont be seen: RT Mentors could take cameoline added to their armor which allowed them to blend in and skirt the battlefield. So I think this trait does it better than a free cover save or an invulnerable save, which usualy were worse than their armor to begin with.

Trust your battle brothers: to represent their advanced training, my orriginal mentors had the "on the bounce" special rule that would give them true grit if they passed a dice role on the charge. This is just as good.

Aspire to glory: this was a tough pick, with two traits I needed a major drawback to balance out. Some old BFG fluff mentioned them loosing almost all of their terminators while boarding a hulk that slipped back into the warp, and Dreadnaughts never worked into my fluff that much anyway.

I think it all works out nice... thoughts? Sugjestions?

Fluff is pending pretty soon, though you can probably find it in the back log of the forum unless it has been purged...

<<edit... well I was just doing a little experiment... new and revised codex pending>>

no IP issues this time Rogue Trader :P

Good lad :P

I think those traits actually fit pretty well with the fluff we have on the Mentors. Unfortunately you can't represent the more fun rules from RT, but that is the price we pay for a "streamlined" ruleset :D

Looking forward to this Alchemist. You've always got great reads on these guys.

"Honor your Wargear" may also be a trait to think about. As you can do Infiltrate with that one too, and it gives you more variety.

The Mentors are a relatively new Chapter. Formed in the Twenty-Sixth Founding, during the middle part of the current millennium, they received the number 888. This previously belonged to the Star Scorpions Chapter. The latter were a Chapter of the Twenty Fifth Founding and had the dual misfortune of producing redundant gene-seed and being utterly devastated by Warp entities when the Chapter's Fleet became trapped in Warp-space. The exact fate of the Scorpions is not known. However, the Emperor decreed that the chapter be considered dead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Home World

The Mentors reside on a pair of co-orbiting planets, Gloriam and Virtute, orbiting about a young protostar within the =] EXPUNGED [= nebula in the =] EXPUNGED [= arm of the galaxy. Isolated from the whole of the Imperium, the system within a cloud makes for an outstanding posting for the Emperors artists of war to conduct their games unhindered.

Gloriam is a smaller than average temperate world of very lush foliage spread thickly over a rolling landscape. Its seven island continents are scattered about the surface interlinked with hundreds of archipelegos spanning its many seas. It is here where you will find the Citadel of Mentors. The Citadel is home to the Mentors professed "Collegia Astartes" where orphans from the Schola Progeniums acrost the Empire are learned into the chapter asnd will become among the most skilled and tactile soldiers to bear the Emperors banner.

Virtute is of the same aproximate mass as its twin with a similar environment. Its surface is nearly even between land and sea with a single mountanious continent reaching high into the atmosphere. It is here where the Mentors maintain their sprawling training camps. Everything learned from generations of warriors acrost the Empire is taught here by veterans who learned the skills first hand in the trenches and the skies on nearly every world in nearly every conflict an imperial soldier spilt blood.

The Lift Moons were built from the excavation of Vitrute's single mountain when the "Warren" tunnel network was bored into it for the Mentors to practice close confined battles. The rock slag was thrown into orbit and compressed a billion times over by the Adepts of the Adeptus Mechanus who were laboring on the project. The intent was to use each massive moon to lessen the gravity in pinpoint locations to allow easier removal of waste. These tiny artificial moons are now used by the Mentors to adjust the orbits of the Twelve Satelites as well as creating pockets of lower gravity on both Gloriam and Virtute for exercises or space launch.

The Twelve Satelites were formed much like the Lift Moons at the request of the Mentors. Each Satelite is of essentialy the same size but have a gradualy increasing mass from almost nothing on Satelite One to the crushing strength of Satelite Twelve. These moons are set in orbit about the protostar and are teraformed to create nearly any environment with varying gravities for the Mentors to train upon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beliefs

The Mentor's adhere simply to the Imperial Cult. They refuse to revere any other man on par with the imortal Emperor. A perpetual service is conducted at the Citadel of Mentors which each Marine will attend at least once per day. There is no schedule for worship since the chapter training schedule is so varied.

Geneseed

The redundant gene-seed hampered Imperial efforts to rebuild the Scorpions Legion and eventually the Bio-engineers and Chem-architects of the Adeptus Mechanicus were forced to concede defeat. For a time it seemed that the number 888 would never be raised again, but some years later, a new Founding in the offing persuaded the Priesthood to revisit the chapter regalia. Thus the Mentors were born. They received the uniforms and number of the extinct chapter but instead of the redundant seed, they were given an entirely new generation of genetic material collated from the storage banks of the Earth laboratories.

Recruitment

Each company is responsible for maintaining itself when it comes to recruits. A Captain, seeing his combat strength waining may request permission form the Chapter Master to detatch a squad to one of the various Schola Progeniums in order to select new recruits into his company.

Combat Doctrine

The new chapter is highly unusual and their modus operandi is quite different from that of the bulk of the Legiones Astartes. The Mentors have an extraordinary capacity for learning, particularly of matters military. The chapter's main pursuit is therefore one of perfecting the fusion between science and art of war, and military technology. They do not engage in campaigns or wars as other chapters do, but instead 'loan' squads of Marines to other Imperial military bodies. Squads of Mentors may be found fighting alongside the Imperial Army or even other chapters throughout the galaxy.

Organization

The Mentors are aranged into ten full battle companies as oposed to the varied compostion dictated by the Codex. Each company is commanded by three officers, a Captain, Lieutenant, and Ensign who are selected for their prowess and skill. Within each company there are two squads at any given time which may vie for their Cadre crest which is displayed on the right shoulder pad and denotes their exceptional performance and aditional training. Each squad must repeatedly compete and maintain their skills in order to stay a member of the company Cadre.

Armor & Color Schemes

The Mentors wear a sort of hybrid armor suit customised by their artificers to meet the specific needs fo the chapter. The helmet is of the older Mk. VI patern with its angled face to better delfect incoming fire as well as alowing the wearer unprecedented range of motion. The chest plate is smooth, not exhibiting the typical aguila engraving since the textured surface makes the wear of cameoline impossible, instead the Mentors sport a smaller aguila above their true heart. The torso cables are encased like in the newer suits to protect tem from fire and the legs use the newer three segmented design for increased mobility.

Mentors Color their armor uniformily amongst the chapter. Helmets, chests and shoulder rims are in a dark green whith the remainder of the armor a stark white. The only excpetion is the lower torso section beneith the chest plate is white and the tail armor is green creating a sort of tailcoat effect. The armored boots are a high gloss black. Company's are designated by a vertical stripe down the center of the helmet in the company color. The Left shoulder pad is the same reinforced pad of the older Mk. VI design while the left sports a black disk around a company color guidon with the Tutor or Cadre crest desplayed beneith it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a question, where did you get all of this fluff from? I was looking on a site, and it pretty much has the same info. The reference he used was WD 98 pg 44. I don't happen to have that on me, but he also said the star scorpions were destroyed by warp entities after being trapped in the warp. I'd like to know if there was another place you got this fluff from, because I'm kind of interested in playing them.

D.O.A.,...I was beginning to wonder if this would be brought back to life. Quite frankly I am glad you did. Good to see the Mentors back in action.

Severus6

• 1 month later...
Anyways, I am looking for people to start a Mentor Legion with me. They are described as "loaning out their squads for battle experience" and it would be sweet if we had people all over doing this.

AS soon as I am finished my complete company I shall paint up a small squad of Mentors,just to have. Was considering doing a bunch a marines in various colours just as a practise anyway. I will have the space availible in my carry cases to hold 10-20 extra marines.

Someone over on Portent (cannot remember who, sorry!) had the following idea when I was asking for help with a DIY "high tech" marine chapter:

Use the Deathwatch rules to represent a Mentor Legion attached squad!

Move and fire Heavy weapons?

SPecial bolters?

Special Ammunition?

Fits the fluff for the Mentor Legion perfectly!

So KP13, are you down with getting a squad? ^_^

I am going to do a 10 man Elite Squad which can be broken down into two 5's. I am going to have names for every member, and every person is going to be customized extensively. Squad # Designation: 23. Nickname: "Barnstormers" (This is my squadron name at my military school). So, what is yours?

*EDIT* btw, I figure each chapter will have it's squad designation on the right shoulder pad and the Mentor Legion symbol on the left.

RG - I'm down!

Only problem is they're also down the list of "Waiting to Work on/Completion" List!

Working on (in roughly this order):

1) Alpha Legion

2) Relictors

3) DIY "High Tech" Marines (All with MK 8 armor!) w/ attached squad of Mentor Legion

4) Eldar

As for Mentor Legion markings, not sure of anything 'official' out there, so your idea should be fine...

The only problem being, of course, that I think the old "fluff" had them fighting as squads in other chapters (trying out new, advanced, etc. wargear) as opposed to a full fledged chapter "on their own".

Or is this more "mid" fluff as opposed to "old" fluff? Not sure where I remember reading this version of the Mentor Legion, but I kinda/sorta do remember it...

Any help from the Scholars out there?

Mentor Legion new logo

Old symbol was a wise owl face looking out, not profiled (which is cooler imho)

Just a few notes on em:

Founding : 26th

Chapter Number: 888

In the old fluff they followed the codex.

And indeed, lent out troops not just to other chapters for training, but to Imperial guard units too.

So thats old fluff you refer to.

Yeah, I am thinking as having them lent out to the squads, I think that is just a great idea. Now, with that said, I am sure they can fight on their own. I just see them as kind of a "Deathwatch-type" army. I just see them showing up as advisors. So, I am working them into my Lamenters story saying they are tagging along with the Lamenters to learn some 'Nid-fighting techniques (reference my:Lamenters Thread ).

Hello Orky,

good to see that you are still working on the mentors. Browsing through my Codex:SM and i had some strange ideas - based on the fluff of the chapter.

Ok here we go, the mentors rarely fight together in large campains. So how do they survive? If they dont have Apothecaries available to them in the current/ancient fluff. How would you like the idea that the Cadre units (those lend to other chapters) look like the following:

Base Death Watch kill team all points and options stay the same with the following exceptions. One veteran may be upgraded to an Apothecary in the same way as it would in a chapter which has Protect the Geneseed (sorry im german so i dont know exactly how its called in the english edition).

Actually even the trait would be appropiate because many different units are working far apart from the main body of the chapter and losing geneseed would be a terrible thing for such a chapter.

For the trait thingy there would be a nice alternative to your fixed ones. How would you like that the Mentors have always the advantage of having the apothecaries and one additional that may be choosen right before the battle to show their adaptness in all kinds of combat. To balance that out they always have the disadvantage of having not many terminators and dreads and the heavy verhicle disadvantage.

Just my 2 cents.

Archived