Some thoughts on the Lost Company

Mountain Angel

-

Okay... we have seen our share of good tactica articles here since the release of the Codex Eye of Terror. The army is quite popular and we have our fair share of loyal Wulfen. I would like to go over some key points in regard to this army. First I will discuss selecting wargear since it is so vital.

Wargear

The wargear you can select defines your army and gives it much character.

-Mark of the Wulfen-

This is an expensive totem for both independent characters and pack leaders, but let's face it... this is the trademark item for the Lost Company. I take MotW for both my Wolf Lord, Rune Priest, and all pack leaders.

The three advantages are as follows:

- Fearless

- Always hit on 3+

- +d3 attacks each turn of close combat for the character

Being Fearless is a great boon for the army as they will take many a wound from incoming fire. You never have to worry about breaking in the heat of the battle. It also fits the theme for the Lost Company IMO.

Hitting and being hit on 3+ is more to our favour since our squads can generate a vast number of attacks in close combat... Slayers have three base attacks apiece, while Storm Claws have four attacks when they charge. Few other assault units can pour out these sheer numbers. Hitting on 3+ is a clear advantage since the Lost Company will typically have more hits to parcel out during assaults.

The extra d3 attacks each turn for our characters makes a huge difference... even if it only amounts to one extra attack. Our characters are armed with Frost weapons, powerfists, and thunder hammers. These extra attacks for pack leaders make a huge difference when it comes to destroying an enemy squad or causing more wounds, thus forcing the enemy to take a break check. Lost Company units should be able to charge a squad, quickly break them, and move on. Once you have engaged the enemy in close combat the tide of battle has swung in your favour!

A squad of Slayers lead by a pack leader with MotW and a thunder hammer can beat anything out there in close combat, including Greater Daemons and even C'tan. Independent characters are great at ravaging enemy fodder, but often their role is to eliminate enemy HQ... the extra attacks are a huge advantage in this regard.

There is only one disadvantage, barring the points:

- Always be hit on 3+ in close combat

MotW can hurt when you are fighting Khorne Berserkers with heavy chainaxes or Banshees. It is up to your overall knowledge of the game to lessen this disadvantage. For example, wel all know that Berzerkers are quite fast and want to engage in close combat as soon as possible. Space Wolves have the advantage here since we have Counter-Charge... set up in cover and wait for them. When they charge you will being hitting first or no worse than simultaneously, plus you will have your full number of attacks. Banshees do best in large numbers due to their low strength (S3)... shoot as many of them as possible when the opportunity presents itself.

-Invulnerable Saves-

An invulnerable save is what helps our HQ live long enough to see around round of close combat. They will be up against the worst our enemy has to throw at us, so they should be properly equipped. You must take must take the Wolf Lord, so unless he is suited in tactical dreadnaught armour, then he should benefit from the almighty Belt of Russ. Thankfully the Wolf Priest comes with the Iron Wolf aumlet.

This leaves the Rune Priest... if the Belt of Russ is not available then the best choice is a suit of tactical dreadnaught armour. Terminator armour confers a 2+ armour save as well as a 5+ invulnerable save, plus it looks fluffy since he will be teleporting to the far corners of the table. ;) The only disadvantage is that the Rune Priest can only consolidate after winning a round of close combat, but most often you will use this HQ to teleport a large squad of Slayers to shoot at enemy armour... should the Rune Priest manage to survive the subsequent turn of enemy shooting then he can either teleport to a safe place or charge! The storm shield is an option but has no stopping power whatsoever against shooting attacks; therefore, I never take a storm shield for my Rune Priest.

On the subject of terminator armour... why not suit the pack leader for the Slayer squad that will be teleporting along with the Rune Priest? It only costs five points! Now you will have two models in tactical dreadnaught armour and this will make it harder for the enemy to kill the entire squad of Slayers in one turn of shooting. Small things such as this make the difference against a hard enemy.

-Other Items-

As Space Wolves we have our share of unique of items that only we can take. Because MotW is expensive you must choose wisely from these items. For instance, the wolf tooth necklace comes to mind. As stated above I would rather spend these points for MotW. One piece of wargear I always take is Balms and Healing Potions for the Wolf Priest... if it saves the life of one Wulfen then it has paid for itself.

Next Up -> Weapons

Weapons

The weapons we choose are just as important as our wargear. The army needs to be properly equipped to tackle all manner of foe. I will break this section down into what to take for each unit.

-HQ-

-Wolf Lord

Remember that I have suggested you equip him with MotW. The two main choices are the Frost Blade and lightning claws. The Frost Blade is a S5 power weapon and that is quite powerful, but I want my Wolf Lord to be the most efficient killing machine. I can choose my attacks since my Wolf Lord is also mounted on a bike. The Frost Blade has an advantage over lightning claws in that it can wound T8 enemy models, but I prefer for my Wolf Lord to engage other units. IMO pack leaders armed with thunder hammers are best suited for killing T8 enemy models. My choice for the Wolf Lord is one lightning claw and a combi weapon. You already have at least +1A due to MotW so there is no advantage in paying the extra points for a pair. The ability to reroll all failed wounds outweighs +1S.

My choice of combi weapon is the bolter-flamer. One turn the Wolf Lord benefits from laying down the template. Because he is mounted on a bike he can choose from which direction will cover the most models. The flamer is quite powerful against T3 enemy units with poor armour saves. If you take a Storm Claw biker retinue with two flamers then the cleansing flame is also a potent weapon against enemy units in power armour.

The last two items that should be mentioned are frag grenades and meltabombs. Always equip your assault units with frag grenades, otherwise you stand the chance of losing the initiative... which can be very painful. Meltabombs means that the Wolf Lord has a chance to destroy enemy tanks and vapourise dreadnaughts... it's only five points but all this wargear starts to add up quickly.

-Wolf Priest

He comes with a power weapon and bolt pistol. Is there really a need to take anything else? Remember that the Wolf Priest will be leading your Wulfen and as such he is their best chance against units such as dreadnaughts. I like all my units to be able to deal with anything that might come along; therefore, I give my Wolf Priest a thunder hammer and sometimes even a Frost Blade. The thunder hammer can be replaced with meltabombs for dealing with enemy armour but I would rather have the full compliment of attacks. A Frost Blade in the hands of the Wolf Priest will convert many a failed wound into a kill, especially against T4 models.

The Wolf Priest should also be kitted with frag grenades, and this is the one character I do give the wolf tooth necklace, as hitting on 3+ against enemy HQ is truly a boon well worth the points. A large squad of Wulfen lead by a Wolf Priest with Balms and Healing Potions, wolf tooth necklace, frag grenades, thunder hammer, and a Frost Blade is very expensive... but it is also a very fast and powerful unit.

The plasma pistol does have a place here if you want to shy away from spending lots of points on the Wolf Priest. The plasma pistol hits on 2+ and can kill one hard model such as a terminator before the charge. If you are in a pinch then it also a viable means of shooting at rear armour.

-Rune Priest

As stated previously my Rune Priest wears terminator armour and has MotW. Terminator armour for the Rune Priest has become a defacto standard for this character. ;) Since the Priest is wearing terminator armour that eliminates some of your choices, such as pistols. I give mine a Frost Blade and bolter-melta. The primary role of the Rune Priest is to teleport into the thick of it with a large squad of Slayers to destroy enemy armour. It's just that simple.

Next -> Weapons for Grey Slayers and Storm Claws

-Troops-

-Grey Slayers

The Slayers are one of the best Troop choices in the game today. Slayers come with bolters, frag and krak grenades. Many players forget about the krak grenades too! :( What makes the Slayers so valuable is all their special skills, which we can discuss later. Slayers can take two special weapons per squad - meltaguns, plasma guns, and flamers. I always take two of the same for each squad as there is no benefit mixing them. I take one squad with two plasma guns and another with two meltaguns.

The plasma gun squad is actually the more versatile of the two, as they have some decent midranged stopping power. Rarely will you want to rapid-fire the plasma guns though because then you won't be able to charge, and close combat is what the Lost Company is all about! Depending on what type of army I am up against I will sometimes deploy the Slayer squad beside the Long Fangs so they can combine their firepower. I used this often against Blood Angels and this tactic accounted for many kills. ;) I take a pack leader for this squad with a combi-plasma, runic charm, MotW, and thunder hammer. The combi-plasma allows for three S7 AP2 shots at 24" range... it can be handy.

The meltagun squad is for teleporting with the Rune Priest and shooting at enemy armour. One nice thing about this tactic is that you can teleport the first turn, which means you can penetrate skimmers if you get to go first. Remember that the Rune Priest does not have to join this squad, so they can target two separate targets the turn they teleport. I take a pack leader with a powerfist, MotW, and a combi-melta. The Slayer squad has three melta shots the turn they arrive via The Gate. You know how often meltas miss, so that one extra shot is worth it IMO.

Flamers I never take as the other choices are better suited to the roles that Grey Slayers must fulfill.

-Elites-

-Storm Claws

Storm Claws on foot are a deadly assault unit. I stick with the bolt pistols because I don't want to lose these expensive models to overheat. However I have been known to take a pack leader with plasma pistol and runic charm. Since this unit can take powerfists (which I always recommend over power weapons) it not always necessary to give them a pack leader. This option makes them a great retinue for a foot slogging Wolf Lord and saves a lot of points. The two powerfists hitting on 3+ will take care of the big nasties quite well. Personally I don't use Storm Claws on foot since I would rather take more Wulfen. Wulfen are faster due to Animal Rage, have just as many attacks (which is scary), a higher initiative, and will also generally hit on 3+ due to their WS5. Wulfen are godlike and should be treated with much reverence by Space Wolves.

-Fast Attack-

-Storm Claw bikers

You can run Storm Claws as a separate unit under Fast Attack. Some like to use them for tank hunters and take two meltaguns. I refrain from this tactic since I use the Rune Priest and one squad of Slayers in this role... the army is small on a whole and there is no need for redundancy IMO. Storm Claw bikers are a small unit and cannot survive much punishment, even with the new Turbo-Boost rule.

I prefer to take my squad as a retinue for my mounted Wolf Lord. Now the Wolf Lord has some numbers and is much better protected. Another advantage here is that you can take some powerfists and/or a thunder hammer, which makes the overall unit more dangerous and able to deal with whatever comes along.

I also give the Wolf Lord four Fenrisian wolves plus a retinue consisting of two bikers and a pack leader... you have four bikers and four wolves. Using the mixed armour rules you can remove the wolves as losses during the first turn of shooting. This tactic is very helpful if the unit has to move out into the open for a turn before they can engage the enemy. If you take the wolves then remember that the bikes can no longer Turbo-Boost. The two bikers both have a flamer and the pack leader has MotW, combi-flamer, and a powerfist. MotW for the Wolf Lord and pack leader! Yes it is expensive but those extra attacks with the powerfist are well worth it. The powerfist alone means that this unit is also decent when it comes to tank hunting.

-Heavy Support-

-Long Fangs

There are a plethora of options to choose from. I always take two lascannons and two plasma cannons. The lascannon and plasma cannon are both the best at what they do and that is what I want. The new rules for the Blast template have weakened the plasma cannon a tad but if you choose your targets well they still pack a mean punch. Using the Split Fire rule allows you to shoot at both tanks and troops during the same turn - having the best weapons provides a better chance that your Long Fangs mayactually do some damage before they die. Long Fangs die quick and are a favourite target due to the threat of their ranged shooting. However there will be those times when they will really shine. ;)

Next -> Selecting Units for an Army

Nice tactica MA.

Something caught my attention though.

Rarely will you want to rapid-fire the plasma guns though because then you won't be able to charge
By the wording in your sentence it appears that you can single shoot the plasma gun and charge but you can't do that in 4ed. Anytime a rapid-fire weapon is fired, single or double shot, then that unit cannot charge.

Havent read all of it yet.. and I dont play 13th Co, but I have to ask. With the Wolf Priest.. you get a free power weapon. Why in the world would you buy ANOTHER one in the form of a frost blade or thunder hammer? Seems like a waste of points to me. Of course, that is Space Wolf thinking... you 13th co guys are kinda wierd.

-

Brother wolves

Your questions are dear to me. Ask anything that comes to mind and I will try my best to answer as best as possible.

;)

About rapid-fire... it would be nice to squeeze off one shot with the mighty plasma gun but it is not possible at 12".

A Wolf Priest is the vanilla equilavent of the Chaplain... that we all know fer sure. You can take him as is and he will be a noble son of Russ shining upon the field off battle. Should you so feel inclined to give him a few goodies then he can even shine more so.

;)

More to come soon!

-MA

Hm, everyone seems set on using the Rune Priest + GS squad as a one shot teleport-into-the-open-and-pray-to-survive anti tank unit.

Is it really such a bad idea to use Gate just for speed? (ie kit out Rune Priest and squad just for std roles and not specifically for tank-hunting)

It would allow much faster movement to certain places on the board, and since most squads are sporting meltas, I would think tanks wouldn't be too much of a problem. Besides, a unit like that is kind of expensive to throw into the open to trade for a tank. ;)

MA - I just can not agree with you.  Giving a Wolf Priest another weapon is a waste of free points.  You get a power weapon included in the cost, why buy more?  There is no need.  Buy a Wolf Lord or Rune Priest, and give THEM the weapons.

WolfLordLars - MA already explains his choice on the Wolf Priest.

He comes with a power weapon and bolt pistol. Is there really a need to take anything else? Remember that the Wolf Priest will be leading your Wulfen and as such he is their best chance against units such as dreadnaughts. I like all my units to be able to deal with anything that might come along; therefore, I give my Wolf Priest a thunder hammer and sometimes even a Frost Blade.

As he says, he believes the extra wargear to be something to keep the wulfen out of trouble when it is necessary, and while it is something that I would not use, it is a sound tactical choice.

I definitely would not want my Wulfen squad being stuck in combat against a dreadnought or anything, especially in 4th edition where we are forced to attack their frontal armour.

Hm, everyone seems set on using the Rune Priest + GS squad as a one shot teleport-into-the-open-and-pray-to-survive anti tank unit.

Is it really such a bad idea to use Gate just for speed? (ie kit out Rune Priest and squad just for std roles and not specifically for tank-hunting)

It would allow much faster movement to certain places on the board, and since most squads are sporting meltas, I would think tanks wouldn't be too much of a problem. Besides, a unit like that is kind of expensive to throw into the open to trade for a tank. ;)

They actually have a good chance of survival when they are gated, and even if they don't survive, they distract the opponent's valuable firepower on them so the rest of the army can advance.

The trick is to time the gate just when the rest of the army is about to charge into their lines.

I still just cant agree with you guys. Give him melta-bombs, not a second (and expensive) weapon.

Maybe its just that 13th Co mentality.. dont know. I think its a waste of points to give an IC two CCW's with special abilities (such as a power fist and frost blade, or whatever).. especially when they come with one for free.

It would allow much faster movement to certain places on the board, and since most squads are sporting meltas, I would think tanks wouldn't be too much of a problem. Besides, a unit like that is kind of expensive to throw into the open to trade for a tank.

i find the Gate just too unreliable to be useful for a specific role, so i personally use it for 'speed'. its served me well in this role.

If the enemy has tanks or Dreadnoughts, I like to use the Rune Priest and Grey Slayers to hunt 'em down. If they don't (or if I think my Long Fangs can handle it), I use the Rune Priest and Grey Slayers as headhunters and aim for HQ units or expensive high-victory point units like biker squads, terminators, etc.

Nice tactica, MA. You may want to consider mentioning Wolf Pelts in the wargear section (especially nice for teleporting Grey Slayer WGPL's). The Gate's most powerful ability is the mobility it grants to a vehicle-less army like the 13th. What you use that mobility FOR is up to you. Tank-hunting just happens to be one really good use of that power...I'm sure there are plenty others. ;)

I also vastly prefer melta-bombs on my Wolf Priest to any extra weapon. Those are free points going to waste!

A 13th Company army doesn't HAVE to use MOTW - in smaller games (around 500 or so, Combat Patrol, or Kill Team levels, every point counts) it's really not all that necessary due to the amount of base attacks 13th Company models get (as you pointed out) and due to the fact that the army as a whole has rather high Leadership.

Just pointing out that the Wolf Lord is mandatory in 13th Company armies, and that putting him on a bike (according to the FAQ) removes his Scouts rule.

Maybe you could briefly discuss the advantages of a Wolf Lord on a bike? That's something I never really got into in my tactica.

I can't argue that Lightning Claws kick butt on a Wolf Lord, but I am a big believer in versatility. A Wolf Lord with melta-bombs, a plasma pistol, and a frost blade can take on just about anything - the Lightning claws make him even better against rank-n-file, but not quite as good vs. stuff like Wraithlords, Walkers, etc. I'm willing to admit that in the long run, Lightning claws probably are better (in terms of math and wounds) - I guess it's down to playing style again ;)

Storm Claws are freakin' fantastic due to the amount of powerfists they can bring to the battle. You mention you like powerfists, so I thought I'd bring this up - Grey Slayer WGPL's can bring powerfists and thunderhammers, it's true, but Storm Claws are where you get a lot in one unit - fantastic for taking out stuff like Necrons, Dreadnoughts, anything Toughness 5+, enemy HQ's, and so forth. Wulfen ARE great, but powerfists push Storm Claws slightly into the lead IMHO.

-

I used to use meltabombs for the Wolf Priest but have found the thunder hammer is better... the meltabomb requires you to roll a six to hit vehicles with a weapon skill. I'm not saying that you should/must spend these points, but it works for me.

I have already mentioned some tactica in regards to a mounted Wolf Lord under the weapons section for Storm Claw bikers. There will be some more later though. ;)

You don't have to teleport for the sole purpose of tank hunting... some armies don't have any vehicles. For tank hunting this tactic is quite useful. In a six turn game you can teleport several times... I also often use it to move into a useful position.

-MA

Choosing Units for your Army

The units you select will define your style of play and how well you can dictate your tactics. I always advocate one well balanced army list that can take on all comers, rather than designing a new army list for each opponent. Here I will discuss how to design armies in the 1500 - 2000 point range. I will also cover three types of armies -

Biker Lord,

Slayers + Long Fangs,

Wulfen as a Troop Choice.

-HQ-

You must take a Wolf Lord as your first choice. The Wolf Lord can be used for a variety of purposes. For example, you can mount him on a bike and give him a retinue of Storm Claw bikers. This is a fast unit and gives your army much needed speed, which is crucial for the Lost Company. If you decide to keep his feet solidly planted upon the ground then he can take a retinue of Storm Claws or join another unit such as Grey Slayers.

You have the choice to take a second HQ for a 1500 point game, either the Rune Priest or a Wolf Priest. If you take the Rune Priest then joining him with a squad of Storm Claws can make a powerful unit. If you take the Wolf Priest then join him with a large squad of Wulfen since he can control their movement. If you decide to take the Rune Priest over the Wolf Priest then my advice it to keep the werewolves at home.

You must take all three HQ for 1850 - 2000 point games. Joining each with another unit, including a retinue for the Wolf Lord, combines each into a powerful force. I recommend a retinue for the Wolf Lord and a large squad of Wulfen for the Wolf Priest. Typically I teleport the Rune Priest with a full squad of Grey Slayers. An HQ is better protected when he joins another squad, plus they also benefit from his presence.

-TROOPS-

-Grey Slayers

My favourite Troopers in the game! ;) You must take two squads unless you take a Wolf Lord with MotW and choose Wulfen as a Troop choice. Slayers are much more versatile than Wulfen so typically Slayers are my Troop choice. The Slayers are the core of your army, and as such I always take full squads, each with a pack leader. One squad has two plasma guns and the other has two meltaguns. Each pack leader has a combi gun, MotW, and a thunder hammer.

You can take additional squads of Grey Slayers but I feel that two units are sufficient. GW is putting more emphasis on the theme of an army over composition now, so only two Troop choices should not hurt you in a tournament setting. Your army needs other vital units such as Long Fangs and Wulfen to be a balanced force. As all units (except Fenrisian wolf packs) are expensive so you are going to have a small army with only a few units. Synergy between these units is what leads to success on the tabletop.

-Wulfen

If you decide to take Wulfen as a Troop choice you are putting all of your eggs in one basket. Only one squad can control their own movement by joining the Wolf Priest. The other squads of werewolves must move as fast as possible to the closest enemy unit and attempt to engage them in close combat. A wily opponent will use cheap vehicles such as empty Rhinos and Land Speeders to run your Wulfen around in circles.

There is a time when Wulfen as a Troop choice is a viable option... for example, against World Eaters they do very well. Both armies suffer from either Animal Rage or Blood Frenzy. The high initiative, weapon skill, strength, and sheer number of attacks that Wulfen come with shall see them rule the day against World Eaters. Wulfen strike simultaneously against charging Berzerkers with Furious Assault. In following turns of close combat the Wulfen outclass the Berzerkers.

If you take Wulfen as a Troop choice it is important to keep your squads of Wulfen spread out so they do not move into bottlenecks where the opponent can take them apart with ranged shooting. I also suggest you place some of the squads behind others so that you will be attacking in waves. The first line of Wulfen will quickly engage the enemy and tie up his battleline, while the second wave is the finisher.

Next -> Elites

Wulfen ARE great, but powerfists push Storm Claws slightly into the lead IMHO.

i second that!

I'm a big fan of the Wulfen over Storm Claws. It's probably because a full squad of Wulfen on a charge will kill around NINE marines! At Initiative FIVE! This also means they'll rip into pretty much ANYTHING and kill, and if played right with a Wolf Priest, they make a hell of a squad.

Of course there is no discounting the fully kitted out Storm Claw squad's ability to send out around 16 PF attacks on a charge, there isn't much that can stand up to that kind of abuse (except perhaps Nightbringer or a Greater Daemon), but what can I say? I just happen to like the I5 S5 over I1 S8! I still have my Grey Slayers Pack leaders with Powerfists to take down big nastys anyway.

-Elites-

You have two choices here, assuming you don't take Wulfen as a Troop Choice.

-Storm Claws

This is one mean assault unit! Each Storm Claw comes with a bolt pistol, chainsword, frag and krak grenades. The Storm Claw has three base attacks, including the extra single handed weapon, so that totals four attacks per Space Wolf when charging. Storm Claws also have access to power weapons, powerfists, and plasma pistols. I prefer the powerfists since they kill everything dead all the way. As stated previously if you intend to join this squad with an HQ you can save a lot of points by opting out on the pack leader. Some want as many powerfist attacks as possible and choose a pack leader with MotW, pistol, and a powerfist or thunder hammer. I think the grand total number of attacks is fifteen (S8) when they charge if you go the way of the pack leader and get the three additional attacks bestowed by MotW. ;) They can kill anything and will do so with a vengeance. This squad also greatly benefits from the counter charge rule and MotW... a smart opponent will avoid them like the black plague. ;)

-Wulfen

The werewolves are the quinessential fluff of this army along with Mark of the Wulfen, but they are not absolutely necessary. The Lost Company is an army that needs size over sheer number of units; that is, it is much better to take a lesser number of full squads as opposed to more squads with less Marines. You should take at least twelve Wulfen in a pack and I prefer a full squad of fifteen. The Wulfen are going to take some incoming fire before they can charge. If half the pack survives they can get the job done.

You also need a fast army to win with the Lost Company. In large games with all three HQs and two full squads of Grey Slayers you are going to have roughly enough points left for two more units. Personally I prefer Wulfen over Storm Claws due to the lack of speed when you compare the former choice with the werewolves. Wulfen lead by a Wolf Priest are very fast and have better base strength, initiative, and weapon skill. You should look at your entire army when deciding which to take. So due to the added speed of the Wulfen I give them the edge over Storm Claws. I also find being able to take as many as fifteen Wulfen gives them another valuable edge.

Here is a good point to take a moment and compare Grey Slayers with Storm Claws. The only advantage Storm Claws have over Slayers is the ability to take hidden power weapons/powerfists. Grey Slayers are much more versatile since they come with bolters. If I had to choose between the two I would take another squad of Grey Slayers. There is a place for Storm Claws though, and that is when they ride bikes. We will discuss that in more detail later, and it has already been mentioned when taking Storm Claw bikers as a retinue for the Wolf Lord.

-Heavy Support-

-Long Fangs

That is your only choice for ranged shooting attacks. Long Fangs add another dimension to your army that nothing else in the list has to compare. I always take a full squad in large games of 1500 points or more. I know from experience that most opponents will shoot the Long Fangs as soon as the opportunity presents itself. If nothing else Long Fangs will draw fire from other units, and by doing so will have served a useful purpose. If the Long Fangs have a chance to shoot then they can do some real damage early on before you charge. Even though these old veterans have a bullseye painted on their helmets I want them to have the best chance possible of inflicting pain.

You can go cheap with missile launchers and heavy bolters but I think this is a mistake. You don't need heavy bolters due to the savage fury that comes from your army's ability to shred the enemy in close combat. The missile launcher is a cheap lascannon and the one less point of strength can foil your best shots at the worst moment. I would rather penetrate when my Long Fangs shoot rather than merely glance. If the Long Fangs manage to destroy an enemy tank or blow up some Obliterators then they will have really paid off. You can also use them to create a line of fire that makes the enemy think twice about moving his units out from cover.

I also love the plasma cannon. People are saying the blast template is nerfed now with V4 but it's not true. I have found that there many opportunities to place the blast template over many models... for instance, teleporting squad of terminators or Necrons, units falling out of wrecked transports.

Long Fangs also have the ability to take special weapons. They are just as expensive as some of the heavy weapons. My advice is don't do it. There are other places to put your meltas and plasma guns. Keep the Long Fangs back and in cover.

Next -> Fast Attack

I've mentioned in another thread why I don't equip my Long Fangs with plasma cannons, but I'll expand on the idea here.

Plasma cannons cost 35 points, with the Lascannon, among the most expensive options for your Long Fangs. PC's have some advantages (i.e., the blast template, decent Strength, and excellent AP). However, PC's also have some significant downsides.

36" Range is nice, but not great. Since Long Fangs will only generally move once per game (the pre-game move), 48" is a much better range for a static unit (of course, if you intent to "suicide squad" your Long Fangs and teleport 'em around, discount this paragraph).

Strength 7 is nice, but only enough to glance AV 13 - not exceptional as a tank-killer.

The template is nice, but works well only under certain circumstances (Deep Striking units and those bailing out of wrecked transports come to mind).

Last but not least, plasma cannons have the unfortunate tendency to fry your own troops on a 1. Granted, this flaw will not come into play often, but in any given 3-game tournament, it's likely (by law of averages) to happen at least once. In a unit as small as Long Fangs, losing even one heavy weapons Space Marine can be a major problem.

In return, I offer the humble missile launcher. 15 points cheaper, 1 point stronger (with krak missiles, and you still have the frag option for those wierd times you get lots of enemies bunched up), and fires out to 48". Missile Launchers can glance even the heaviest tanks (AV 14), instantly kill all Toughness 4 models (and eliminate Necrons forever!), and are cost-effective if you're looking to save some points.

Archived