[DoW] How to... & Links

Kurgan the Lurker

How to make your own Badges and Banners by Dyntheos/Starfisher:

Badge Tutorial

Welcome to the badge tutorial for DoW. Making a badge is a very simple process. Having done it once, you will be able to churn them out like some similie I can't even imagine. For those of you who do not have PS7, I will do a quick generic run-down of what properties a badge must have. Hopefully you can figure it out with whatever program you use.

Badges must be 64x64 pixels.

Banners must be 64x96 pixels.

Image must be either a 24 or 32bit Targa (.tga).

To use transparency, image must have an alpha channel and be 32bit.

Image must not be compressed.

In the alpha channel, Black is transparent and White is opaque - any value in between is partially transparent.

This assumes you have an image you want to import into DoW as a badge. I show how to make part of it transparent; if you don't want transparency, do step 1 and then skip to the saving out steps.

Photoshop 7

Step 1

Open the file.

Step 2

Erase the parts that you want to be transparent. You want to make sure that the checkered background is showing in these areas.

Step 3

In the menu bar, select Image->Image Size..

Make sure 'Constrain Proportions' is unclicked, then change the two boxes under 'Pixel Dimensions' to 64. Click ok.

Step 4

All that's left is to save out the image in the proper format. To do this, go to the menu bar. File-> Save As..

Save the file as a Targa (.tga) with 32bits/pixel resolution, in the folder C:\Program Files\THQ\Dawn of War\Badges

=================================================

PaintShop Pro

Thanks directed at Malignus

Doing this in PSP 7.02 is a cinch.

Step 1

Make your image and select the part of it you want to be transparent using the magic wand. Then use Selections > Modify > Expand a couple of pixels to make sure you get all of the empty space, then hit Selections > Invert.

Step 2

You should now have selected everything solid (i.e. non-transparent) that you want to include. Click Selections > Save to Alpha Channel.

Step 3

Resize the image to 64 by 64 pixels. Then, use save as to save the image as a 24-bit, uncompressed TGA. (Make sure those options are checked in the save-as dialog box.)

(Supplementary Info)

From the PSP 7 help on adding an alpha channel:

Use the Save to Alpha dialog box to save a selection to an alpha channel. To open the dialog box, choose Selections > Save To Alpha Channel. This command is available only when the image contains a selection.

Using the Save to Alpha Dialog Box

Step 1

When the dialog box opens, the filename of the image appears in the Available Documents box, and the selection is displayed in the Preview box.

Step 2

In the Available Alpha list, double-click New Channel, or highlight New Channel and click OK. The New Channel dialog box opens.

Step 3

Type a name for the new selection.

Step 4

Click OK. Paint Shop Pro saves the selection to the alpha channel and closes both dialog boxes.

=================================================

The GIMP

Thanks to Wolf359

A) Get the GIMP.

:rolleyes: Find some image you want to use, in my case I used logos I could find from old/defunct sports franchises.

C) Now preferably you have an image with a white or otherwise constant background, I'll assume you want to take that out, and leave yourself with just the central image to work with.

D) Drop the image into the GIMP, you'll see the GIMP menu with the headings File, Xtns, Help and so on. The image will be in a seperate window, first thing to do is to right click on the image, scroll down to select, and chose the by color... option. This will open another window which will probably have a completely black image displayed. Move the cursor over the white (or the background, whatever color it is) to select that color. This will highlight only that portion of the image that has the color you clicked upon. If this is the color you want to delete, continue on. If not try again until you've selected what you want to erase.

E) Now, close the select by color window and return to the image, right click on the image and scroll down to the Layers menu, chose the add alpha channel option, this will prime your selected background colors for removal.

F) Once you've added the alpha channel, right click on the image again and scroll down to edit-clear. This should have the effect of deleting the background color, allowing you to see the checkerboard (transparent) background behind your image. Now select the "select rectangular regions" tool from the GIMP menu and click on your image, this will take the selection off.

G) In my case I had some trouble getting my images to face the right direction when applied as a badge, to fix this its necessary to rotate and flip the image. To rotate your image, right click on the image and scroll down to the Image menu, then to Transforms, then to Rotate, and finally select 180 to flip the image on its head. Now to flip on the horizontal plain, (usually necessary to avoid a "mirror" image) right click on your image scroll down to Tools, Transform Tools and flip, this will change your cursor to a horizontal line with two arrows at either end, left click anywhere on your image and move the mouse to the right, this will flip the image horizontally for you.

H) Right click on the image and scroll down to the image menu, scroll to the mode option and you'll see several options RGB, Grayscale and Indexed, you want your image to be RGB, so if the option is available select it, if it is not, go to the View menu and select Image Info, if it reports your image is an RGB image of at least 24 bits, your fine. This is important to remember your image needs to be 24/32 bits and RGB for it to work as a badge.

I) Now that the image is ready, we can shrink it down, apply some blurring (if you wish) and apply some transparency.

J) To shrink the image right click and bring up the menu, scroll down to the Image menu and select the Scale image option. In the upper part of the menu you will see several text boxes, below the first set labeled New Width and Height are two other boxes called Ratio X, and Y. To the right of those boxes is a small chain link, click this link and see that the chain is broken, this will allow you to select any size and not have the CPU keep the aspect ratio the same. Now in the New Width and Height boxes type in 64 for both. Once your done close the window to the Scale menu.

K) Now it helped me to blur my image some before shrinking it, when you do the bluring does not matter much but bluring will help make sure your badge doesn't have sharp jagged edges. To blur what I did was I right clicked on the image, scrolled down to the Filters menu, selected the blur menu and selected the Selective Gaussian Blur option. I usually leave the settings alone and apply the blur, this component is optional.

L) Once your image is down to badge size, it helps to add some transparency so the image wont completely cover up the markings on the Mothership or ship its applied to, this adds to realism. First right click, and scroll to the Layers menu, select Layers, Channels and Paths option. This will open a new window, all you really need to do here is click the Keep Trans. Box first, then you'll notice the Opacity slider, edit this slider to the desired level, I usually set it to 80. Once your done close the Layers Channels and Paths menu.

M) Now its time to save, right click your image and scroll to file, save as. With the menu open select the path you want your file to be saved in, also be sure to chose the TGA extension in the Save Options area, where it says Determine File Type, this will change your image name to image.tga, you're nearly done, when you hit save, the program will give you an option to Export your image, if you do NOT get this option, your image is probably not in RGB format, and you need to try again. The box will say something about needing to merge visible layers, go ahead and export, then another menu will come up with two radio boxes and two options labeled RLE Compression and Origin at Bottom Left, I usually unclick both and hit ok.

Now you have a badge ready to go, probably not the most simple thing in the world but it works. The two most important things that will agrivate you in this process that you should avoid is 1) remember to make your image an RGB image, indexed color wont work, and 2) be sure to unclick the chain relating to ratio size when resizing your image, you don't want to end up with a 69x64 or 64x67 image that looks right but wont work. Anyway I do hope this helps anyone needing to create a badge in the GIMP, good luck.

The next time you fire up DoW and use the Color Picker, you should see a new badge. If you see a weird error message or the background is messed up, you forgot to follow one of the steps above. Try again.

*Note: Banners are the same, but they are 64x96

How to send your color scheme to other players by DeathScythe61:

Ok, I was wanting to have a "Post custom Paint job pics" thread, but I realize that it is against the NDA, so I've instead found exactly where the Paint Schemes are located.

C:\Program Files\THQ\Dawn of War Beta\Profiles\Profile1\W40K

(Profile # changes depending on which profile it is, and the root directory may be different depending on where you installed to).

Here will be stored your color schemes, labeled as Scheme_#.teamcolor, with # being the order in which you created them.

So, since we can't post pictures directly, instead copy and past the info from this file for all to see. (Just remember, badges won't show for other players). My color scheme:

LocalInfo =

{

badge_name = "BADGES:Mine.tga",

associated_race = "chaos_marine_race",

banner_name = "BANNERS:Mine2.tga",

}

UnitCustomization =

{

pattern_name = "default",

force_name = [["Dummy Plug"]],

Eyes =

{

b = 0,

g = 255,

r = 0,

},

Weapons =

{

b = 15,

g = 18,

r = 194,

},

Primary =

{

b = 0,

g = 0,

r = 0,

},

Trim =

{

b = 23,

g = 139,

r = 195,

},

Secondary =

{

b = 15,

g = 18,

r = 194,

},

}

If you copy and paste this into a new scheme file, (For simplicity, simply make a notepad document called Scheme_99.teamcolour and past all this in it. You will then see my color scheme if you go to the appropriate list (In this case Chaos marines)

There is a much quicker way to add transparency to a badge or banner using GIMP then the one described.

The initial image you can prepare in MS Paint. I assume you did that. With Paint you can also adjust width/height of the image. Save it as a bitmap with 24-bit color depth. Make sure that you chose a unique color to mark the areas to be transparent (ie one that does not appear anywhere else in the image).

1. Open image in GIMP.

2. Select all. From menu Layer--->Transparency--->Add Alpha channel.

3. Select all. Layer--->Transparency--->Alpha on selection.

4. Maximize the image window and press Shift+Ctrl+E to enlarge the image to fit the window size. This will make the next step easier.

5. Press Shift+O to select color, click on any of the places where you have got your "transparency color". Then press Ctrl+X to cut out that part. This will leave the Alpha Channel in place of that color.

6. File--->Save as. change extension to Targa. GIMP will pop another widow, with option for RLE compression and another one that is ut of our concern here. Uncheck RLE Compression and click OK.

Congrats, the badge/banner is ready for usage. Have fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After doing a bit of a tidy-up in the older regions of the forum, I came across several links to mods/patchs/maps/etc. I decided to gather them all in one place to make it easier for you all (arnt I nice :tu:)

Banner and Badges

Complete Space Marines Chapters

Hangar-8

Badges & Banners

Mods

Daemon Hunters Homepage

Thousand Sons

Space Hulk

Hardcore War

Skins

Maps

Map Pack 1

Map Pack 2

Map Pack 3

General

DoW Sancutary

DoW Filefront

Player Stats

Stats

Damage per Second

Marine Stats

Didnt do that much reserach, so please post any links. For Mods, preferably their homepage.

• 7 months later...

definitely get "corsix's mod manager". it allows you to run multiple mods at once! it isn't by any means the only mod manager to do this but it is my favourite. it even works for WA (after a fashion). enable the mods like normal but instead of clicking the button that starts DoW, close the program and run WA manually. all the mods will be enabled. note you cannot run DoW mods on WA or the other way round.

http://dawnofwar.filefront.com/file/Corsix...d_Manager;41285

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived