Space Wolves vs. Death Guard 1850 points

Power Fist

Posted this on the main board, but I'd like dedicated Space Wolf players to chime in here specifically. Help me shore up the list, figure out what's working and what needs to go, etc. :o

Continuing on my quest to figure out what I

DEATH GUARD TURN ONE:

Jason moved his Predator up so that it was right on the board edge, with a clean shot down the entire table length. A couple of Death Guard squads got deeper into cover, so that the whole squad had cover saves.

EBON LIONS TURN ONE:

I made a bunch of spooky ruined city noises, and shooed my kitten away from the table. She's very curious, but also the size of Godzilla compared to the poor Nurgle Marines on the table. Last thing I need is to buy Jason more models. :o

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bottledfame/dgturn1.JPG

DEATH GUARD TURN TWO:

Jason says, "Four minutes. That's the quickest two turns ever." :D

EBON LIONS TURN TWO:

Business picked up in a hurry, with Lion Guard Battle Leader Rundle and his bodyguard, the Lion Scouts, two Grey Hunters squads, and the Blood Claws all deciding to show up at the same time. Drop Pods rained down from the sky above. After some pretty lucky scattering (first pod scattered 4", then rolled two hits in a row), I had a nice bunker fortress to hide behind. Blood Claws managed to scatter right behind the silo, keeping them out of LOS, and the Lion Scouts decided the Defiler was public enemy #1.

I piled the Lion Guard and the Grey Hunters behind their transports, hoping difficult terrain tests might keep the majority of Death Guard out of line of sight for a turn.

In the shooting phase, the Lion Guard opened up its three plasma pistols and its meltagun at the rear of the Defiler. Of course, one Plasma Pistol killed himself on overheat (every single bloody game...grumble...). Two penetrating hits and a glancing hit ended up with a Penetrating 6, which wasn't obscured. The resulting explosion killed another Lion Scout, but two scouts down to take out a 200 point Defiler is worth the price. Their lives were given for a good cause.

For fun, I shot the Drop Pods at the Death Guard in the pipes, and managed to kill one. Go fig.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bottledfame/elturn2.JPG

DEATH GUARD TURN THREE:

Jason was more than a little irritated by the loss of his Defiler. I warned him before the game that I had Lion Scouts. Pretty much, though, no matter where he would have put it, I would have killed it. That's the price you pay when you play against Space Wolves. Your tanks will die.

Difficult Terrain tests were good to Jason, and the Lion Guard and the Lion Guard Battle Leader were going to get assaulted...if they didn't get shot to death. The Blood Claws were also in danger of catching a large number of bullets.

The Predators combined to take down two of the Drop Pods, making them even more into terrain than they already were. The third Drop Pod was taken down by Meltagun fire.

The Lion Guard fortunately took no wounds from the Flamer shot it ate. Sadly. the Blood Claws could not say the same thing, as two of them bit the dust.

Jason needed anything but a 1 to be able to assault the Lion Guard. He got a 3 and piled in. Going simultaneously, the Death Guard managed to pull down one member of the Lion Guard. In return, the Lion Guard slew four of the Death Guard, with LGBL Rundle adding two more to the pile. The Aspiring Champion looked all around him, and realized his entire squad was dead. He killed another Lion Guard with his Power fist. He was outnumbered three to one, but made all of his saves.

Jason said, "How many power weapons are in that squad?"

I said, "Dude. They *all* have power weapons."

He frowned and sat down.

EBON LIONS TURN THREE:

Nothing else turned up this turn. Guess the Thunderhawks got lost.

The Grey Hunters and Blood Claws barreled toward the Death Guard, while the second unit of Grey Hunters slid around the side of the Drop Pod wreckage bunker for fire support. The Lion Scouts, their job done, went ahead and boldly raced out into the open. If they died, that would be okay. If not, they might be able to get rid of a second vehicle.

The two Grey Hunter squads combined firepower to drop three of the Death Guard from the closest squad. That would make the Grey Hunters and Blood Claws' job in close combat a lot easier. That was all of the shooting, so we were on to close combat.

11 power weapon attacks were too much for the Powerfist-wielding Aspiring Champion to take, and he was hacked to pieces by the Lion Guard. The Lion Guard Battle Leader led his bodyguard into a 3" consolidation away from the oncoming Death Guard.

The Grey Hunters dropped three Death Guard, who simultaneously whiffed their attacks on the Blood Claws. That left five Powerfists available to take a poke at the Aspiring Champion, with 18 attacks. I'll let you guess how that one turned out.

The Grey Hunters consolidated into the Plaguelord. The Blood Claws didn't quite make it there, and would probably be wiped out next turn, having accomplished exactly jack squat.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bottledfame/elturn3.JPG

DEATH GUARD TURN FOUR:

Once again, Jason was able to restrain the power of the Great Unclean One until he could get into better position. Everything moved into very threatening positions, except for the Plague Marines at right, who stayed in the ruins to protect from the inevitable Drop Pod assault on that flank. The Predator at left turned to face my Lion Scouts, who would probably be laser-fried mulch by the end of the turn.

The shooting phase started out with the Predator at right obliterating my Blood Claw Jump Packs with three Lascannon hits. I seriously need to reevaluate the use of that unit. I think the points might be better spent elsewhere, no matter how much I like the models. The other Predator only managed to kill one Lion Scout, but I lost a valuable power weapon. Oh, well...I didn't think they'd be seeing close combat anyway. They easily passed the panic check.

Then, the Lord and Aspiring Champion unleashed their Nurgle's Rot. Two Grey Hunters went down, flailing at the diseases bursting out all over their skin.

Oh, but that wasn't the best part. The best part was, I then found out how stupid ridiculous you can make a Nurgle Lord. I ate 10 attacks, from the Lord ALONE, hitting on 3s, wounding on 3s...and they were all with a power weapon. So six unsaveable wounds later, the entire squad of Grey Hunters were dead and bleeding on the ground, and the Plague Lord and Plague Marines consolidated over their dead bodies.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bottledfame/dgturn4.JPG

EBON LIONS TURN FOUR:

Well, Turn 4 brought down the rest of the Drop Pods, and some very scary moments indeed. Like when my Landspeeder can within 1 1/2" of scattering off the table. Or when my perfectly designed wall of drop pods scattered into an insane mess that left Venerable Brother Granger standing alone, basically in the open, facing a squad of Plague Marines armed with a Meltagun.

Fortunately, Rune Priest Howe and his retinue, and the third squad of Grey Hunters, landed near enough to the Plague Lord to unleash a little Plasma love...and maybe help out with a timely Storm Caller. The Lion Scouts continued to barrel full speed ahead at the Predator, and the Grey Hunters and Lion Guard Battle Leader Rundle's retinue moved into assault range.

Rune Priest Howe called the storm down over Lion Guard Battle Leader Rundle and his retinue, hoping that their 13 power weapon attacks might be enough, striking first, to take out the Plague Lord. To make sure the battle went in their direction, the Grey Hunters got a little fire support from the newly-arrived Grey Hunters. They opened up at the Plague Marines, and took two of them out, softening the Nurgle Marines up for the Grey Hunters.

Venerable Brother Granger blew his heavy flamer over the approaching Plague Marines in a desperate attempt to kill enough to get rid of the Meltagun. It was bad enough he'd have to contend with a Great Unclean One if he survived the turn without having to take a Melta shot, too. Between his assault cannon and his heavy flamer, he pulled down three Plague Marines, but it wasn't enough, and bad scattering probably cost me my Dread. I chipped in Storm Bolter fire from his Drop Pod, but it wasn't any help.

The Landspeeder pretty easily sliced through the rear armor on the Predator and destroyed it, while the Lion Scouts used their Meltagun to make short work of the Predator as well. Actually, they got lucky with a glancing 6, but it sounds better if I make it look like I planned for that to happen. :o

The assault phase was ugly, to say the least. The Grey Hunters barreled into the Plague Marines, swords flailing. They killed one on the charge, while the Plague Marines killed two in return. Then the power fists started flying. The power fists did five wounds, enough to wipe out the Plague Marines, while the Aspiring Champion killed one more Grey Hunter. Mission accomplished, but at a pretty heavy cost.

Meanwhile, I knew that if the Lion Guard couldn't wipe out the Plague Lord on the charge, they would all be mowed under his manreaper like wheat in the thresher. It was looking up when they scored four hits, but they only managed one wound out of it. Fortunately, he failed his ward save. One wound down, only three to go. :roll: Lion Guard Battle Leader Rundle put another wound on him, taking him to half VP. Then, the Nurgle Lord turned around and wiped out both Bodyguard members and Rundle, and gleefully consolidated into the Grey Hunters. Damn. That character is ridiculous. (Later, it was pointed out to me that the Bodyguard and the LGBL are actually two separate squads, and he couldn't have killed them all at the same time. But I didn't know that at the time. I thought and IC and his Retinue formed one whole thing. Apparently not. :D )

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bottledfame/elturn4.JPG

DEATH GUARD TURN FIVE:

The Great Unclean One made his presence known finally, popping out of the Aspiring Champion in perfect assault range of Venerable Brother Granger. The Plague Marines made their way through the ruins toward my Landspeeder, while the Nurgle Lord fired up his manreaper.

Fortunately for me, the meltagun missed, and the plasmagun didn't have enough juice to cut through Granger's armor. Also fortunately for me, the Landspeeder only suffered a penetrating 1. Unfortunately for me, two marines fell to Nurgle's Rot.

Predictably, the Great Unclean One took no time at all in rubbing out poor Venerable Brother Granger. Stupid bad scatter rolls...

Equally predictably, the Nurgle Lord wiped out the Grey Hunters with 11(!) attacks this time, and consolidated into the other Grey Hunter squad. Yes, your count is accurate. At this point, he had single handedly carved through three squads (about 750 points) worth of models. Alone.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bottledfame/dgturn5.JPG

EBON LIONS TURN FIVE:

At this point, whatever was going to happen was going to happen. The Lion Scouts began "Operation Be Not Victory Points," and headed for cover. The Lion Guard and Rune Priest scooted around the combat so they could charge in from the other side. The Landspeeder remembered it couldn't move, and did nothing.

The shooting phase was equally short, with Rune Priest Howe storm callering his own squad, and two drop pods unleashing unholy Storm Bolter fury at the two remaining Death Guard, amounting in one wound that was easily saved.

Rune Priest Howe and his fresh set of bodyguard charged in behind the storm, unleashing a barrage of attacks at the wounded Nurgle Lord. Howe put a third wound on the Nurgle Lord, swinging his Frost Axe with bloody passion. Inspired by his zeal, the Lion Guard showed no mercy, and finally brought the "Slayer of Lions" to the ground. The Grey Hunters and Lion Guard consolidated away from the Great Unclean One, to catch a little breather.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bottledfame/elturn5.JPG

DEATH GUARD TURN SIX:

It was all over but the showers now. Jason moved in to grab a few extra victory points from the drop pods, while his Death Guard plowed through the rubble after the Landspeeder.

In a shocking display I've seen more times than I can remember, his Plasmagunner blew himself up trying to take down the speeder. The bolters covered him, though, and made sure I couldn't shoot...then blew off my heavy flamer, for good measure.

The other Death Guard were more efficient, taking out Rune Priest Howe's transport.

In the assault phase, the Great Unclean One took out Brother Granger's drop pod quickly.

EBON LIONS TURN SIX:

Without enough movement to get around the wreckage and shoot the last two Death Guard, the Grey Hunters tried to make a break for the table quarter and contest. They came up just short. Then I remembered we weren't playing Fantasy, and you don't get bonus points for table quarters. :o

It was going to be close...we moved to the tallying.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/bottledfame/elturn6.JPG

SCORE:

Ebon Lions: 1379

Death Guard: 1164

With a 215 point difference, it was a minor victory for the Ebon Lions! (I know the book says, "Solid Victory," but it didn't feel that solid to me.)

Great game with a great opponent, even if his lord was personally responsible for over half the victory points he received. :D

Very nice report!

I feel your pain when it comes those Greater Daemons!

I'm just curious why you decided to land your pods practically in the middle of his army. I think you could have easily cornered about half his army with all of yours and let your Wolf Scouts tie up the other half.

@evilmerlin: I thought about that. But basically, it was a case of "afraid of the nicely painted model." Sometimes, even the best of us fall prey to it. I didn't want to eat Battle Cannon from his really, really beautiful Defiler, so I deployed away from it. I thought that with so much souping up and modification, it would be really hard for me to kill it with my Lion Scouts. If the meltagun had missed, the Plasma Pistols wouldn't have had enough juice to penetrate, and I'd have to take my chances in hand to hand. In retrospect, I should have deployed in a line down the middle of the table, spilled everything out on the left side of the table, and left the Lord and his buddies to floot slog over to me. Oh, well. It turned out to be a more competitive game this way.

@TGB: I think it cost around 160-170 points. Ish. I can't remember for sure.

@Everyone Else: What do you think of the list? Things I could change, etc.? I'm not sold on the jump packers, and will probably trade them out for something else. Not sure what yet, though... Overall list suggestions? What do you think about the Lion Guard? Too expensive? I thought they performed well, personally, but...

Anyway, opinions?

I gotta say, this is a prime example of why Space Wolves have hope in the new edition of the game. Drop Pods rule. Coupled with the OBEL of the Wolf Scouts, you can seriously put the burden of deployment on your opponent, make him wander and wish for something to pound on, and basically go from what might be a solid deployment to a less defensible dispersal before you ever put your guys on the table.

That is, as long as your guys come down in clusters, and not onesie-twosie....

I've been playing with a 2000 pt list where the only thing that starts on the board is an LRC with 14 BCs and a Wolf Priest in it. The rest is scouts and pod-inserted elements. It's the name of the game. I really think someone should do a couple of tactica on drop pod deployment and related strategies, as I'm seeing this as the way and the truth in the aftermath of the Rhino Rush's death throes. Especially given the mix of short-range firepower and hack-n-slash that is a Space Wolves list.

Oh, and PowerFist, I made the same mistake, too, and ended up coming up just short of a table quarter in the last turn. We'd actually decided to use them just to add an additional twist to the scenario, and I ended up having to assault and hope I slew the squad on the assault in order to get a big enough consolidation move to cross the line. Came up one wound short of the prize, had to settle for a hard-fought tie.

Archived