Drop Pod Assault!

Hi, played my Arch-Enemy yesterday when he wanted to try a 1500p tournie-list for an upcoming Tournament.

I Decided it was time to finally try out the Drop Pod Assault rules... B)

I made my list, set up the terrain, made some (lots!) coffee and sat down, waiting for him to show up.

We set up the terrain when he arrived, on my usual 6*4 foot table.

In the middle was a tomb and cottage surrounded by some hedges and walls, in addition to that there was a large-ish forest pretty close to the center (the forest ended up in his deployment zone), some ruins and hills.

Not too much of it actually blocked LOS, just the forest and "tomb-system" while the ruins was pretty small.

I used this:

Wolf Lord w. terminator armour, storm bolter, lightning claw. 120p

Wolf Guard Bodyguard (4) w. terminator armour, 2 assault cannons, 2 storm bolters, 2 lightning claws, 2 chain fists (one of each cc-weapon on the asscan guys) and runic charms plus a Drop Pod. 286p

Venerable Dreadnought w. assault cannon, heavy flamer, extra armour, smoke launchers, Drop Pod. 203p

Wolf Scouts (4+1) w. 1 flamer. 62p

Wolf Guard Leader w. lightning claws, wolf tooth necklace, melta bombs. 63p

2 Grey Hunter Packs (9+1) w. 6 bolters, 2 plasma pistols, 2 power fists, 1 flamer, Drop Pod. 245p*2

2 Wolf Guard Leaders w. lightning claws, wolf tooth necklace, wolf pelt. 63p*2

2 Land Speeder Tornadoes w. multi-melta, heavy flamer. 75p*2 (single Squadrons)

Small army, lots of templates and lots of lightning claws... :devil:

Well, I basically wants to try out what works for me with Drop Pods and even though I have Land Speeders with AssCans I wanted to avoid that. Besides, both heavy flamers and multi-meltas are pretty good...

Weird Wolf Scout Pack but I suspected he wouldn

Interesting reading thus far Duregar, sounds like it shall be a great read for sure. So in saying that, bring on the next turns!!

Although, WOW, your Dreadnought is actually, well, somewhat still alive. Sure its missing an arm... Or two.. its still alive. Normally the thing is a crater after taking punishment like that :ph34r:.

None the less, it seems like you have established yourself well (ok, more of you had established yourself well, darn tense).

Lookin' forward for the next installment :angry:

Turn 3, Space Wolves.

Rolling for the rest of the Pods, I get one and I aim for it to land on the other side of the tomb, from the rest of my stuff. The bugger hits and I blow the hatches and disembarks close to the Grey Knights while his Devastators are on the other side of the Drop Pod, now "shielded" out of LOS! :ph34r: (I landed just out of the forest, between the tomb and forest.)

The Wolf Lord and Wolf Guards advances to help the Venerable Dread while the Land Speeder skims between the Drop Pods and targets the depleted Tactical, killing two of them (the Veteran Sergeant and lascannon!). Sadly, the Grey Hunters rolls crap, and while they hit 6 Grey Knights with the flamer, that, 12 bolter shots and 2 plasma pistols results one Grey Hunter )plasma pistol overheat...) and only 2 Grey Knights. I use the Drop Pods storm bolters as well and while they hit stuff, they never kill anything during the battle.

In the assault the Wolf Guards charge his Dread while the Wolf Lord manages to contact the depleted Tactical (they were very close to the Dread and with some clever movement I could charge both! B) ).

His Dread misses both attacks on mine while the Venerable Dreadnought actually glances and immobilizes his! (I imagine he kicked his Dread in the groin! :devil: )

But the Terminators carves up him some more, getting five (5!) penetrating hits, blowing it to pieces but no one was wounded. The Wolf Lord cut down the last foot-slogging Tacticals and the whole unit consolidates 1" backawards.

Turn 3, un-named vanillia Space Marines.

His Rhino-convoy keep moving, 12" and the two Squads jumps out to shoot up my Grey Hunters while the Grey knights moves towards my Wolf Guards and the Devastators moves to get a shot later on (appaerently he didn

Nicely done Duregar, seems everything went well (except the dice, but yeah, i dont usually expect them too, not for you anyway :angry:).

Glad to hear your first BR with the drop pods worked well, and that you would use them againin the future. The Wolf Guard did VERY well, despite being a big points sink, but it looks like they made their points back. The new configuration looks good too, and i look forward to seeing these guys as they are completed.

I noticed you didnt manage any pics?

Once again, well done :ph34r:

On a last note, i agree about the dropping of the plasma pistols from the grey hunters, although useful, the fact they can roast your own guys as well as they roast your opponent is a bit of a set back, and you did need all the grey hunters you could spare as it is. A shame you only have 4 pods, as a 5th pod with blood claws would have been good (over the speeders) to give your nemesis a few more things to worry about.

Great report. Very advanced tactics for a first timer. :angry: Congratulation to the victory. When I read about the terrain and how much you were outnumbered, I thought you might not win this.

Congrats on your victory, in spite of the dice :angry:

Your wolf guard terminators seem to have done quite well and survived quite a lot as well. Did you find the runic charms paid their points back in the game (can you use them to re-roll the 5+ inv)?

From the sounds of it, it was a very bloody game do you think you would have done better with more troops on the table or did you find your ability to chose where to fight balanced this out?

Yes, I was thinking about it again and 5 Drop Pods would be much better than just having 4 in 2000p... I might have to get another one...

A Blood Claw pack like this:

Blood Claws (9+1) w. 2 power fists, 1 flamer, 1 Drop Pod. 186p

Wolf Guard Leader w. lightning claws, wolt tooth necklace, frag grenades, wolf pelt. 64p

Would be great in addition to the other stuff... if only they arrive at the right time they can be devastating!

Sorry, no pics.

I wonder how his tournie-list is fairing, I wiped it (almost the same list) out totally last Thursday, with my 13th Co! :ph34r:

Well, with some tweaking it can probbaly do well. I just can

Archived