Painting: Interactive NMM Tutorial

Boltman

Okay so I only read the first original post where Boltman gives the tutorial and WOW that's amazing. I had never even heard of nnm until my husband put a post in front of me to look at and although I've used metal in the past I have to say nnm looks more realistic than most of the metals themselves do. ?You're awesome Bolt and I appreciate the paint tutorial...I'm always looking for ways to enhance my painting skills!

• 2 months later...
Would anyone care to show a small step by step pic or two on how to go about doing curved/tube/no flat surface NMM effects properly? I have a big project comming around to the painting steps after conversions and the scheme I have in mind depends on NMM. (all metal tenticles)

• 3 weeks later...

I would sorely love to learn how to do NMM, and this tutorial looks just the thing, as I plan on doing several GD entries using NMM.

But. I dont know how to get hold of "Leprous Brown" or those "Vallejo" colors. -_- So I was wondering if someone, somewhere could post a list of paints from GW only that are still in production that one could use in NMM techniques such as this FANTASTICALLY MARVELISH tutorial.

Thank you to someone, somewhere in advance.

I dont know how to get hold of "Leprous Brown" or those "Vallejo" colors. :) So I was wondering if someone, somewhere could post a list of paints from GW only that are still in production that one could use in NMM techniques such as this FANTASTICALLY MARVELISH tutorial.

The exact colours don't matter that much. It is probably the least of your problems as the important aspect of NMM is to get a high contrast as it is supposed to represent a smooth highly reflective surface. And to get the contrast on the miniature to look right.

"Leprous Brown" is just a desaturated yellowish brown (if I remember correctly) and the same goes probably for all the Vallejo browns mentioned. This is because the gold (in the tutorial) is yellowish in its hue; meaning it reflects yellow and absorbs a lot of all the non-yellow wavelengths of the (visible) colour spectrum.

If you want you could create your own colours for that. It would go something like this: Take some Golden Yellow (or Sunburst Yellow), add a little drop of a purple colour to it (your coice). That will darken and desaturate the yellow. Now just add a bit of Codex or Fortress Grey to adjust the value of the colour (i.e. brightness) and desaturate a bit more.

If you use a wet palette you should be able to make a few "pools" of different colours that you can use for painting.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Went and picked up the colors today, or as close as I could find and decided to try it out on my MotF before I strip him.

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn398/l3rambo/100_0513.jpg

My advice to everyone who wants to try this is see it through to the end, up until I was finished I thought it looked god aweful, and though it definitely needs more blending, I really like how it's turned out so far.

• 3 weeks later...
Went and picked up the colors today, or as close as I could find and decided to try it out on my MotF before I strip him.

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn398/l3rambo/100_0513.jpg

My advice to everyone who wants to try this is see it through to the end, up until I was finished I thought it looked god aweful, and though it definitely needs more blending, I really like how it's turned out so far.

nice model man

and the gw colours for nmm are on the website (uk one at least) look for the spotlight on sigvald the magnificent (warhammer warriors of chaos model) and it says in the painting guide ( ill try to get a link)

here ya go :http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=cat1300347&categoryId=400023&pIndex=2&aId=9700023&start=3

• 6 months later...
What colors you use for painting NMM? :wub: Guide of paintig NMM by Bolter?

Boltman discusses the colours he uses in the very first post in the thread, and there's some further discussion of what colours to use throughout the hundred or so posts between there and here.

Archived