DeathGuard Paintathalon

Big O

Hey all -

Just a note that I have not forgotten the paintathalon, just been away on vacation for a week around the 4th of July holiday. Thanks to everone for the complements as well!

@ Kenshin - Means a lot coming from you! Your DG have been part of the inspiration for some of the wash techniques and use of purple.

@ Harley - deathguard.org has a recipe for the "wonderwash" in the Modeling and Painting section of the forums. It is under the "futurewash" sticky thread. Or you can buy the wonderwash product, it is what I am using as a I have a sizeable stock on hand. http://www.wonderwashink.com

The scythe is simply a plastic one from the Zombie box set.

I will have some pics up this evening, here is a brief status update:

3 7x squads completely basedcoated, dipped, highlighted and detailed

1 7x nurgling bases coated, and dipped, highlights and details tonight

12x plaguebearers primed and basecoated

To go:

3 7x squads (2 havoc, 1 troop)

Lord/Lt.

Defiler

7 Termies to be built, parts on hand and cleaned up, waiting for assembly

I would try a test fig to see, but my impression is that is would not lend itself well to the SW colors.

My own experience is that it really only suits earthy or bright schemes well. That does not mean you should not give it a try however. Experiment with different shades, minwax makes a Polyshades "dark tudor" which is more like a black color dip. This may work better on the SW greys.

I have also had another member of my game club talk about his days dipping figs for historicals. They used "Krystal Klear" clear urethane with black ink and/or black paint added for tinting. They even added various other shades of paint/ink to dip various colors of armies.

I recommend visiting the Dystartes.com link @ the top of the thread, there is some good pictures and discussion on various techniques and their applications.

• 8 months later...
Looks great. And I have to admit, I'm inspired to use your technique. Couple of questions though: 1) How did you dip the defiler? In chunks or big tub of dip or what? 2)It looks like you used at different technique for the plaguebearers? Or did you just highlight them heavily?

The defiler was a unique beast to tackle.

I assembled into various parts - Legs, body, turret, AC assembly, HML assembly. The smaller parts were dipepd as normal, but the larger parts had the dip brushed on. I thin the dip 70/30 with mineral spirits prior to dipping or brushing on. This keeps it a lot more thin, and prevents the normal obscuring of details found in most dipped models as well the huge spots of dip.

Like the other models, there are quite a bit of highlights painted on after the dip on the defiler as well as the plaguebearers

The plaguebearers are no different than the others, but were based in bleached bone instead of camo green and I also added a couple of green ink washes/glazes.

Archived