13th Company vs. Khorne

Decoy

His army was thus; Two squads of Berserkers, a Daemon Prince, a squad of three Oblits, and two Defilers. I thought he was points-light, but he insisted he was filled.

Unfortunately, he was quite... ahem... "unsportsmanlike" throughout this game. He measured from the front of the base to the back while moving, had a nasty tendancy to include units in CC that shouldn't have been, (I.E., measuring from an inch away to find two inches [3", for you math geniuses]), and rolling a few too many dice for his regular attacks, among other things. I'm not sure if you can give a DP Stature, Rage, Berserker Glaive, Wings, and have him be able to rage. (36 inch charge for a hugeass Prince? Hell no. ). However, the aforementioned "leeway to the rules" led to quite the interesting game.

I ran my 2-5W list.

Wulfen Lord T'lash stared from his hilly vantage point across the open terrain. His D'koi had slowly pushed foreward, the terrain not a hinderence to the wiles of the Wulf-Marines. The Wulfen, as always, led the charge, with Storm Claws following behind, taking advantage of the limitted terrain; in the middle of the battlefield, a massive clear spot would be the site of the clash.

His Long Fangs were crouching low behind a forest, hoping to increase their survivability by hopefully at least a few more moments... T'lash felt terrible about so many of his oldest and wisest warriors being sent out to the middle of the battle to destroy as many of the enemy's tanks as possible, but they continued to gleefully pounce upon their duty as if it were a bloody steak.

The creaking and clanking of mechanical feet heralded the arrival of the opponent's defilers; They were arranged haphazardly, close together, and with not much concern for cover. As was the rest of the enemy.

T'lash felt mildly concerned... there would be much bloodshed.

First on the gun, the Khornite Berserkers raged forewards, the Defilers launching their shots high into the air; Landing in a scattered area, two of T'lash's Storm Claws flew into the air, while their legs and other various body parts flew in another direction. The Demon Prince stretched his wings, taking off howling in a rage against the bikes, set up along T'lash's flank; the beast was remarkably quick, and in mere moments, it was among the bikers, rending them limb from limb; they knew not what had hit them. Swiftly, it consolidated into the other squad of Bikers, impossibly fast.

The D'koi reacted in kind. Howling, the Wulfen charged forewards, Storm Claws alongside them as they slammed into the Berserkers. T'lash himself overcharged the engines on his bike and went speeding into the fray. T'lash's Rune Priest looked around the field... The Defilers could wait. He had to try to save the Storm Claw bikers! Charging in against the Demon Prince, he chopped and hacked and clawed, and otherwise tore chunks off of the Prince. However, too late; The Bikers were slain.

The Wulfen, on the other hand, didn't have that problem. One squad, accompanied by Storm Claws, pounded the earth with their ceramite-encased feet before launching themselves onto the chainaxe-wielding barbarians, tearing six of them down before they had a chance to draw breath. The Storm Claws only finished their job, Pack Leader Hoare dismantling the rest on his own. However, the squad closest to T'lash didn't have that luxury; Four Chainaxes survived the Wulfen onslaught, and due to poor positioning, the pack leader bearing Lightning Claws didn't quite make it into combat before the death ensued. Losing four men to the blasted axes, the powerfist-wielding Storm Claws insured a speedy death for the enemy.

The Demon, not amused by the antics of the Rune Priest, took ten mighty swings against the Priest, connecting with seven and cu tting through the armor in four places; With his dying breaths, the Rune Priest drew his Frost Blade back and clove the wounded demon in two before falling, his own wounds too mortal to ignore. The Storm Claws and Wulfen in the middle of the field near T'lash had made a fatal mistake, doing their job all too well. They turned as one to see the two barrels of the Defilers aiming at them. There wasn't a survivor after the blasts cleared. Even T'lash, who had been in the wrong place at the wrong time, was knocked clear of his bike, half of his body still intact, at the expense of being shielded by the -other- half of his body. The last that T'lash saw of the battle was two Defilers marching towards the doomed right flank; The only things left on that side, the Long Fangs, would soon succumb if they didn't run.

Meltagunners Fak, Vordor, Krug and Krug stalked through the woods; They had seen every member of their warband fall. It was up to them, they realized; They and they alone could stop this advance of the disease of Khorne. Stepping boldly from the woods, right in front of a Defiler, the Long Fang squad leveled their Meltas; Four shots later, and the lead Defiler was a smoking pile of wreckage.

The squad of three Obliterators stomped forewards solemnly, following the Defiler over the wreckage of it's twin. As they marched, they saw a plume of smoke burst from the chest of the massive demon machine, and inside, they grinned. They knew what terror they laid in Khorne's name.

The brothers from birth, Krug and Krug, were in death as they were in life; side by side. The Defiler's shot had wiped them from the face of this ungodly world, along with the leader Brun, leaving only Fak and Vordor sliding through the grass. Sliding behind the wreckage of the first Defiler, the two Long Fangs levelled their guns at the next Defiler, letting out two short, controlled bursts of Melta energy, and with pinpoint accuracy they both struck the ammo carrier of the demon machine, blowing it sky high. The two snickered, crouching behind the wreckage of the Defiler.

The Obliterators saw the blasted fighters of the Corpse Emperor blow up the demon machine that was the Defiler, and Khorne was angry. They stomped foreward, firing plasma indescriminately at the opponents as they did so; one of the behemoths was caught up in his own plasma backfire, melting to a pool as he did so. The other four shots were absorbed by the still-smoking, and now slightly-melting, corpse of the Defiler.

Fak and Vordor slowly slid around the edge of the wreckage, peeking over the top. Two Obliterators were all that stood between they and victory. Nodding to each other, they peered around the side of the wreckage, firing off two coordinated shots, turning another Obliterator to slag as both of the energy blasts took of a limb each; not even an Obliterator could function correctly like that.

The final Obliterator howled in fury as it's comrade was destroyed. Pounding foreward in full-gait, it rounded the corner of the wreckage, taking the enemy off guard, firing two more plasma shots into them. One of the shots finally connected.

Vordor's sights were filled with the scorching blue of plasmafire.

Fak watched as Vordor's head dissolved in a scorch of blue flame.

The Obliterator grinned. Vengeance was his.

Fak howled. Vengeance would be his.

The two superpowers charged towards each other, powerfist crackling with energy, and the meltagun forsaken for nothing but the pure fury of a D'koi.

Feet dug deep into the ground.

Eyes locked.

Lots of unusual things about Chaos in this battle.

The 3rd printing of the Chaos Codex correctly puts Obliterators at Toughness 4(5), meaning that Meltaguns insta-kill them.

Also, the 3rd printing of the Chaos Codex explains that blood frenzy can't be combined with any special movement mode, so no wings + blood frenzy IIRC.

Unfortunately, there are a heck of a lot of 1st and 2nd printings out there, so your opponent may simply not have known any better.

Yeah, I know, Spyrer. I was just worried t hat I got my information wrong. Besides, Meltagunning two Obliterators to death isn't very 13th Company, anyways, so I just rolled with it. <_<

You other two, you'd better find a tent, some rations, and a port-o-potty. This batrep is done. Creative liscence and all. :D

Well, the restriction is that all World Eaters must have a Mark of Khorne and Obliterators can't have a Mark of Khorne. At least that's my understanding of it, I play against Chaos players, I don't even own a codex, but I'm pretty sure that's correct up there.

Follow ^_^

If he was playing a World Eater Cult army, then yes that's true. But if he wasn't using the World Eaters rules, and just had his Lord with a Mark of Khorne, then he's just a chaos army with significant Khornate leanings...

*Grumbles about GW and Chaos*

the quick and dirty way to tell - If he took his aspiring champions for free because of squad size, he's playing World Eaters (rules-wise, at least) if he paid for his aspiring champions, and not because of squad size, he's just a khorne-y army (No pun intended.) which means that 'zerkers can be taken as troops choices, while non-marked units can be taken as well.

+EDIT: About the prince's loadout - unless I'm mistaken (which I don't think I am) he can't have a special movement mode (flight/speed) on a model with a Berzerker Glaive

The list above includes 2 squads of Berzerkers with no marines, which is why I'm under the impression that it was a World Eater army. Otherwise, there should be some standard Marine squads listed, right?

Follow ^_^

That's the problem with playing against two Chaos armies, painted the same and with mostly the same tactics, back to back; things start to blur together.

However, I'm reasonably sure that this is correct, regarding the army list itself. About 85% correct.

I don't, however, believe he deemed it a World Eater army; detailed it as just Khorne. *shrug*

Hmmm makes you wonder what the benefit is being pure WE, aside from the free Aspiring Champ. I'd love to see you play this guy again(if he wasnt such a jerk)

Benefits of playing World Eaters (odd typo: Wolf Eaters? ::cuss: ) from a purely mechanical standpoint are a free Aspiring Champion in properly loaded squads (i.e. Favored Number), or in the case of demons +1 to the summoning roll. You can also field Khârn the Betrayer, provided you can get the permission to use him.

Drawbacks from the same standpoint are being unable to field a model that doesn't have the mark of Khorne, and not being able to dedicate your vehicles to anyone but Khorne.

The main advantages of playing World Eaters are that you've got a bunch of background, and some minor bonuses that reflect it ^_^

No, with a lord with a mark, units with that mark occupy their original slot.

So his list is quite possible, aside from the dp with wings. and some minor errors.

So taking a DP with a Mark of Khorne will allow for Berzerkers to be purchased as troops? If he also kept to 8 men strong on each unit, what would be the purpose of a World Eater army at all? Is there another advantage that I'm overlooking?

Follow ^_^

Well other than the DP having only a maximum of 18 inch charge, 6+D6+6, and both his Obliterators being dead after your meltagun shots, not just one of them, that seemed like a reasonable battle.

You would have won with two Long Fangs left.

Seems appropriate.

Archived