Riding in style...

I like that new list ALOT,

Funny, I did the same thing you did in that Bat Rep the First time I tried the 3 land raider list. And that is moving forward 6 inches and shooting the Land Raiders...

I think the key against your Grey knight friend there is to move forward the full 12" then pop smoke, your land speeders can either move thier full 24" as well, for better fields of fire on the 2nd turn.

This isn't a blind rush mind you, your set up is important, as is your avenue of approach, you are going to take some fire so the key isn't avoiding it all together as minimizing it. It is REAL hard to stop a Raider with Extra armor that just popped smoke.

try and assault in the second turn. if he hasn't killed your Raiders by now he won't be able to, as he will be busy with the 30 Drunk Space Pups that are tearing appart his lines, now you can use the Landraiders as mobile fire bases to take out enemy tanks or units that aren't engaged in HTH.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Oh, and people love to face my 3 Land Raider army at Tourneys, as many Regular Tourney players see 3 LandRaiders as a huge point sink.

Escalation can be a huge problem with the Land Raider army.

Typically though, I've only encountered 1 game a Tourney with Escalation, even the 2 day events. So to play a cool and different army, for me its worth the trade off.

As far as dealing with it, I think you only have 2 choices (well with some variation, depending on the missions). In a Take and hold or some thing with grabbing counters, or even board corners you can start maneuvering your troops around the board, utilizing cover as best you can and then support your infantry with your scouts, speeders and Land Raiders as they come on.

your other option is to keep your troops hidden along your deployment zone, and wait for your rides to show up. This can be real tricky, as he may try and pick you off a little at a time while you wait for your Raiders. If your speeders and Scouts begin to come on however, you can use these units to put pressure on his army and force him to keep moving his forces (hopefully towards your infantry) hindering his long range fire power.

also, if i remember correctly...you can have 6 land raiders in a sw group...three wgbl /w retinues /w land raiders and then three taken as heavy support choises.

Points permitting, I think seven... :P Three heavy support (or transports for three Long Fang Packs! ;) ) plus 4 Wolf Guard transports (up to 20 Wolf Guards, 5*4 Packs... :) ).

Thanks for those advice littlbitz, definetly some food for thought. :(

How come, you designed that 3 Land Raider list of yours..? I did, because I love the model and the "fluff" about

I've actually been playing Space Wolves since 2nd ed.

I've always liked the Land Raider (I still own 2 of my old RT era ones though, they don't see much action these days)

I didn't field a Land Raider during the days of 3rd ed. except in friendly games as I just couldn't find a use for them, actually I just don't think I practiced with them enough to get good at it.

When 4th ed. came out and they were the only transport I could assault from I immediately began using one steadily for quite awhile, using it to transport my bloodclaws while my greyhunters stuck with thier rhinos.

Then it dawned on me that if one is good then 2 would be better, I already had a second one ready, so began using a list something like this:

Wgbl x2

Ven Dread

Scouts

Grey Hunters

Grey Hunters (In Land Raider)

Blood Claws (In Land Raider)

Land Speeder

This worked well, but the Grey Hunters in the Rhino, while effective just weren't as effective as I thought they could be. And when compared to the Land Raiders they were easy pickings and therefore quite vulnerable to enemy fire.

The Ven Dread also, while effective just wasn't keeping up with the rest of the army and spent alot of time alone.

So, by dropping the Ven Dread, the Land Speeder, and the Rhino I was able to add a Land Raider Crusader (which I had constructed and primed but was slotted for a Black Templar army I never did, so I painted it grey, hehehe) I also dropped a Wolfguard and a scout or two I think in order to beef up the BloodClaws pack.

It just seemed a natural progression, and this was really all done prior to the release of the new and improved Space Marine codex.

I still find the list effective even in light of the new Assault Cannon rules and all the Tank Hunters I run into, and still field the list on occasion (to keep my opponents on thier toes)

I have even seen some of the "Younger" Marine players trying a similar list but Vanilla Marines just aren't as good at this than us Space Wolves are.

I would guess that Templars though would be very devastating with such a list, though I would never even mention it on thier forum. :)

I am sorry, I don't have any pictures of my armies right now. I do have a digital camera though and as soon as I can figure out how to post pictures I'll have to show off some of my stuff, my current Wolf Army is was base coated with an Armory Grey primer, then highlighted with Fortress Grey, and Skull White mixes.

My first Wolf army was Shadow Grey and I wanted to get away from that blue look.

Now I am painting a new Wolf army and am back to using Shadow Grey as a base, although my highlighting techniques have improved since my first army.

I will get some pictures up soon though.

Archived