I've been busy with work (this time of year is often the busiest) but coming back to see these has been awesome. I'm really gratified to see that the Castigators have inspired you to the point of creating these concepts. I think they help to bring the (rather aging) Castigators' designs into the new Forgeworld design era.
I particularly like how you've used some of the classic images Tiberius and I created (the one of the unfurled lash, for example, on the Mk7 Marine's bolter) - very cool indeed! I notice also the Veteran based heavily on Colrouphobic's previous design.
I truly hope that you'll continue creating more! I'm not sure if I sent you the mock-up of the "IA: Castigator" mega-file, but I did go through and print screen some spreads from Forgeworld books that I would like to emulate.
- The Castigators seem to vary wildly in shade in different depictions, I think in part because they were originally based on the quite purple-y scab red. For me, I think this is the classic depiction. What would the Castigators look like if they went a little redder?
- I like your depiction of the Castigators' shoulder pauldron. I think its important that the point of the elbow is in the centre of the pad. On some of your Marines the chapter symbol isn't centred. I also think that on a couple of them, the chapter symbol is a little low?
- Your depictions, I think, show how the blue used in company designations doesn't really work. I think it might simply be better if they were simply white-and-red. Looking at the Mk6 Marine, I wonder if the blue section would have a white rim?
- The Deathwatch veteran makes me wonder whether the Deathwatch pad should be reverted to the other pad, allowing the Chapter symbol to regain prominence.
- The Terminator looks ace - the only thought being that the skull on his kneepad could perhaps be better being more gothic, and less "Punisher"-esque?
- I'm a little unsure about the decorative filigree on the second veteran - I think you've done good things with the thorn-wreath, but the designs on the leg look a little like the Emperor's Children and the like.
- The Apothecary and Techmarine are both awesome. I wonder for the apothecary's knee whether a solid white cog with a red chapter symbol within might be good?
- The Chaplain is awesome - I love the design on the breastplate - is that something you did yourself or is it from a FW book? I do think a more traditional skullfaced helm would be good.
I would absolutely love to see whatever else you come up with - you're really helping me to reconnect with the Castigators' aesthetic. It's really brilliant stuff.