Re-inventing Fear

-][-Danek-][-

@frankendoodle65:Nightmare is mutating constantly during the series.He looks radically different in Soul Calibur 3.

My Knightmare will lean towards the Aesthetics of Nightmare from SC 2 though.

aah, ok then. i've only played soul caliber 2, so i thought he stayed teh same throughout the series.

Hey Danek how did you paint the skin on that plasma gun totting night lord??

thats great i'm trying to perfect the art of the dead skin look but i'm failing

horribly any chance you wish to share the technique? hey i'll let you have a

member of your deathwatch painted in the colours of my Praetors of Guilliman!

lol pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Nick :P

After reading the IA article on them several times,I took pen to paper and created aesthetic guidelines I would follow this time.

-Knightmare would remain a Commander.

-Mutations would be absolutely minimal.

-Trophies will be plentiful,as will other "fear-inducing" concepts,most notably on the assault oriented squads,Knightmare and my Chosen.

-No Bat Helms!Pre-Heresy/Heresy era helmets are a the order of the day.That means few horns and more modified Chaos helmets and Beakies,most with "Terror Markings".

-More helmetless marines.I've grown rather fond of throwing at least two in each squad.A leftover quirk from my Deathwatch project.

Sounds like your army has a solid theme planned behind it. will make it easier to paint and convert with an image of what your wanting. Very good Young Sith

With that said,I'd like to now show my Bretheren here the first of my rank and file troops.This first lad is a fine example of how the Beakie helmets will be utilized,complete with Terror Markings...

The highlights in the Terror Markings are now softer than they are in these pics.  :P 

Excellent terror markings. maybe random them up by adding in some pale brownish yellow like bone aging in the sun? of if you put a helmet on a belt like the owner took it off for dubious purposes paint the lenses a reflective black with a thin line around the lens also in black. again excellent work young Sith

The next marine is a helmetless Plasma gun weilder.I was initially at a loss on how to do the faces during the Concept phase of the project.The Raven Guard and the Nightlords are both described as being very pale/white with black eyes,and I definately wanted my Nightlords to look more unique.As a result,I created a mixture I call "Nostromo Flesh",consisting of Codex Gray and Skull White at a 15/85% mixture to use for highlights.

My epiphany in regards to the eyes goes primarily to my cat.

The Raven Guard have black eyes due to a mutation in there Geneseed.The Nightlords on the other hand have black eyes because they are entirely pupil,hence the night vision.

While petting my cat one evening,I noticed how her eyes shined in exposure to light.Somewhere I heard it's because of a protective lense behind the pupil.

Did I mention I was watching Pitch Black at the time? ;)

The result was eyes done in Boltgun Metal to represent that "Eye Shine" that opponents would likely see on the dark battlefield.

Most excellent. maybe mixing up other color inks in with the boltgun to add flavor? the face came out excellent. maybe a few lighter highlights on the plasma coil in a blue/white or blue/light gray mix to make it glow more? excellent work yet again young sith your training is coming well

I'll be adding more pics as I chug along,including the insanely extensive conversion that will be Knightmare. :)

Comments,Critisisms and ideas are very welcome.

-Danek

Aka;Lord Knightmare

truely excellent work young sith, I look forward to your updates aswell as the arrival of Knightmare, if I can be of any service just yell.

I think the general consensus is Red or Purple eyes.I'll see what I can do then. :)

@Kyarl Deathaxe:The flesh started with a base of Codex Grey,with the first highlights in Fortress Grey and final highlights done in "Nostromo Flesh".

Hope that helps.

@Tubal:I'm keeping the core fluff,but dropping the DP nonsense.Knightmare is best as a Lord Commander.The fluff never evolved after his change either.I guess you can say I lost my way. :P

@Neph:Glad you like them man. ;)

I'll be doing some "skull" helms,and I may have to try the helm on the side of some AC's.

Okay.I re-did the eyes.I have to say I DO like this better. :)

Opinions?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/Nightlord2redux.jpg

And I just finished this bloke.If he looks familiar,it's because he a nod to one of the first Illustrations of the Nightlords I ever saw in Codex:Chaos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/Nightlord31.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/Nightlord32.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/Nightlord33.jpg

I promise the pics will get better,I'm getting the hang of it! :P

Brilliant work.

And great idea with the eyes, I must try that (although my guys mostly have helmets).

As far as painting goes, overall well done. Maybe throw in an intermediate between the highlights and base colour (if there isnt one that was eaten by the camera).

Personally I use green for my plasma coils, and it doesn't look too bad. If you're not keen on that, try orange perhaps?

I love those terror markings. Post any you do. The only thing, maybe make them a bit more bone-like, or leave them, that works too.

And the lightning, good, but it looks a little smooth. Try to make it a bit more jagged. I can't really see, but they are more than just one colour right?

There was something else I was going to mention too....but in the excitment I seem to have forgotten.

Good to see some decent NL. Not many seem to post their stuff. Or maybe I've missed it all. Or maybe they just stay in the shadows...

:) ;) Two thumbs up for inspiring me to do my NL instead of studying. :P

As far as painting goes, overall well done. Maybe throw in an intermediate between the highlights and base colour (if there isnt one that was eaten by the camera).

I use enchanted blue as an intermediate and for "soft" highlights.I'm afraid it's not as noticable as I hoped. ;)

Personally I use green for my plasma coils, and it doesn't look too bad. If you're not keen on that, try orange perhaps?
Orange sounds like a splendid idea.I prefer it to green definately.
I love those terror markings. Post any you do. The only thing, maybe make them a bit more bone-like, or leave them, that works too.

I have divided the Terror Markings into three categories in the concept stage;

1-Standard trophies,shrunken heads,etc.

2-Painting skull like images on the helmets.I'm trying not to make it look too natural because I want it to look as if the Nightlord wearing the helmet painted the image on itself.

3-Skull-like helmets using Bushido's technique.Those will be painted to resemble more realistic bone. :D

And the lightning, good, but it looks a little smooth. Try to make it a bit more jagged. I can't really see, but they are more than just one colour right?
Two colors,yes.Ice Blue and Skull White.I am having problems getting that jagged look with the Skull White.Hopefully that will improve with time. :D

Good to see some decent NL. Not many seem to post their stuff. Or maybe I've missed it all. Or maybe they just stay in the shadows...

I have always noticed that as well.I'm afraid that many feel like the winged helms are a requirement.I sincerely hope my work and others changes a few people's minds.

:tu:  :tu: Two thumbs up for inspiring me to do my NL instead of studying.  :)

Thanks for the input. :D

I'd love to see your army as it progresses as well.

Excellent.

A well themed chaos space marine army, these get me excited every time. Very cool. What kind of units are you gonna field besides the raptors?

In my 1500 pt army I'm using an Infiltrating(with that replaced by Move Through Cover in Alpha level missions) army.Raptors,basic troop choices and a unit of Chosen I plan to go all out on are the order of the day.

In 1850 and 2000 pt battles I toss in a unit of Havocs and some bikers.

I looked at your models and looked at the army i'm painting at the moment and went "oh crap, i'm painting nightlords" that came as a bit of a shock. Great work although your highlights are a bit to sharp and could possibly use an intermediate colour between highlight colours.

Purple eyes look evil as all get out and the new NL looks excellent my apprentice, continue with your global domination

Not always my eyes on my regular marines (SMurfs not chaos) doesn't look evil at all (maybe just becuse it's the lenses.... but still.

There's one that you might find useful for a little variation - it's down in the UK Chaos Collector's guide as 'Classic Raptor Head 4' - it's the one that Kurgan has used for his chaplain before now, only it matches a "terror helm" that matches the one in the White Dwarf's Index Astartes feature on the 'Lords.

I know which one you're refering to,Vengor.Rest assured I have a few on the way. ^_^

Not much getting done today.I'm heading out in a few to tie one on with my lil' bro,and we all know drinking and painting doesn't mix. ;)

Thought I'd throw a few WIP shots up here in the meantime.

Started work on the second Bolter/Plasma firebase squad.I wanted to make sure that both squads have characteristics that will make it easy for me to tell who goes where,so I mounted bayonets on the bolters of the second squad.Here is the first.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/NightlordWIP1bayonet.jpg

The next WIP is of my first assembled Chosen.As I hope you can see I'm going all out on them.Trophies,Heresy era studded shoulderpads and all of them will be helmetless.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/Chosen1WIP1.jpg

I like it,

I read the IA article two days ago and decided to paint up a beakie like that, I finished it last night.

So I came on the B&C today and 'aired' my idea, promising pics of the beakie helm and lo and behold, Danek has done the same thing!

A pic of my take on the terror beakie of doom can be found here tomorrow. :blush:

Let us see more of your NL! ;)

Archived