Re-inventing Fear

-][-Danek-][-

Nightmare originally started out as Siegfried. His fighting style was the same in Soul calibur (Don't have 2 and don't plan to ge tit TBH but still). He starte dout noble and corrupted when he found power.. very nightlords style me thinks.

Skin wise you may want to make them blue shade wise. When the human body lacks sunlight it takes on a blueish shadow. It's a very suttleness but it is there.

Other wise looks good *goes back to working on his nightlords*

Nice! I'm working on getting two armies built at the same time, Nightlords being the one I'm more interested in then my Ultras. Though, I gotta admit I am fond of the winged helmets. That was my initial appeal to them prior to reading any fluff. I'm trying to keep those to my standard troops as much as possible.

I'm mixing them in with some of the standard chaos helmets with horns, but I'm clipping the horns off and giving them a more pointed forward position like a bull's. I'm also incorporating some of these these havoc heads hereheads and beaky helmets with my Raptors.

I scored 2 Chaos Battle Forces on the cheap from ebay, so I'm going to use the legs and chain axes from the Khorne Berzerkers along with loyalist jump packs for my Raptors. Should be able to post some pics of the poses this weekend, and maybe a test color run if I can get to it.

I like your paint style on the flesh. What did you do for the trim to get that kind of color? I was thinking of base coating the trim with some dark red, with a layer of brazen brass with gold highlights.

love em so far danek one thought though would be for nightmare(real name I'm playing soul calibur 2 right now but knightmare sounds cooler) to use a different weapon then soul edge maybe glam or requiem the one wiht the runes might look less tzeentch/nurgle and more undivided imo

but ur choice

Ezekiel

@ Brother Apocalyptic:They are on hold at the moment.Tis' a MUCH more expensive army to build and the like(the way I do them anyway. :rolleyes: )

@Quiet_Destroyer:If you're reffering to the bronze trim,I start with a base of Tin Bitz,then successive highlights of Brazen Brass followed by Dwarf Bronze.

@librarian_ezekiel:I thought about it,but the Soul Edge fits the fluff I've made for him SO well! :lol:

Plus,I think my first attempt ay it came out rather well.

See?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/Souledge2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/Souledge1.jpg

.....insane soul edge. really want to see the rest of the model, too, though

I thought everybody had. :(

This is my old incarnation of Knightmare,the one that steered WAY off course and became a DP...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/Knightmare.jpg

While I was pleased with the conversion itself,it...just isn't Knightmare.The Knightmare I have in my mind has a definate look,and this one deviated so much from it I didn't know what to do.

I'm also not too fond of the paintjob. ;)

I'm much more confident in my painting and GS skills now though(more so my painting.I'm still on the fence in regards to my GS skills. :)),and I truly feel like I'm ready to tackle him again in the attempts to bring him to life.

I've already started the basic stuff for him,so wish me luck! :ph34r:

Those minis look awsome!

I just started re-painting my Night Lords to my new DIY chapter. Now you make me feel bad about doing it. ^_^

How did you paint them so they're a bit shinny? 'Cuse I love that small shinny effect; thinking of doing it on my guys.

How did you paint them so they're a bit shinny?
Ooh, shiny! ^_^

Spray varnish is the simplest way of getting the shine you want, whether it's gloss, satin or dull. Just get the right can and get to it. If you want dull or satin you have to be a bit careful though since too much varnish always results in a gloss mini.

Tubal nailed it bang on,but I personally prefer to use a brush on varnish to prevent over-saturation and ensure even coverage. ^_^

Finally got another rank and file troop done.I'm rather pleased with the new shade I'm using for the Eye Shine....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/Nightlord42.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/Nightlord41.jpg

A couple minor updates.I just finished assembling my first Chosen AC.

Faythe,Harbinger of the Dark.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/FaytheWiP2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/FaytheWiP3.jpg

And work has begun on Knightmare finally.I'm taking my time on him as I am quite intimidated by the process and I do not want to botch it. ;)

A Pre-GS shot of his legs..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/KnightmarelegsWiP1.jpg

A shot of his torso.The GS work isn't finished on it..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Danek1354/The%20Knightmare%20Project/KnightmarechestWiP1.jpg

More to come soon. :D

Insane, Danek, you're insane. Nightmare just look... No word come to describe it.

Soul edge looks very gret very realistic.

Your other jobs are quite good. The marine with bolter looks more terifiying, the red eyes are very good.

The aspiring champion doesn't look so nightmarish yet, but i wait for his paint.

umm... i think that if you make nightmare regular sized, he'll just appear to be a regular mutated marine, maybe you should true-scale him to give him extra height, like on teh game he towers over everyone else, and if he's made in marine form, he should tower over other marines.

Okay,so I've come to an empass,and I need the input of my bretheren here.

As you are aware of,the inspiration for Knightmare is the character Nightmare from the Soul Calibur series of video games.I intended on making my Knightmare very similar,right down to the mutated arm and Soul Edge.

Now,some people made some comments that got my gears moving,not the least of which being that the Soul Edge looks too organic in nature,and would better fit a worshipper of Tzeentch or Nurgle.

While originally I dismissed it,I've come to believe this to be true.

Not only that,but my dream is to someday join the elite ranks of other B&Cers that have had their army shown in WD.(What?Stranger things have happened! :) )To whit I fear that actually bearing the Soul Edge would cause the dreaded Copywrite lawyers of Namco to appear at my door! ^_^

So I'm re-evaluating my approach,and thinking of designing his Dark Blade in a different way,complete with more unique fluff while bearing a resemblance to the Soul Edge,minus the organics.

Of course,changing that would also entail thinking about changing the mutated arm.At least with the Soul Edge I had an excuse for it. :)

The Night Lords have the purest Geneseed of all the Traitor Legions,and that coupled with their lack of faith and patronage of the Chaos Gods means they bear the least signs of mutation.

With that said,I'm now considering further "40k-ifying" Knightmare by giving him a cybernetic claw,most likely the one that Commissar Yarrick weilds with some heavy conversion work.

So your opinions please.

Should I go for the more unique sword(currently unnamed) and the cybernetic claw,or stick with the original idea?

Also,as players would you cry foul if the cybernetic claw represented Mutation and/or Bionics?

Thanks in advance for the input. ;)

i'm gonna say go for the origonal nightmare. sure, i'm slightly biased as i was going to make nightmare my self... but at the time my greenstuff skills were terrible so in teh end i didn't bother... but in teh end of teh day, you should really go for what you think works best, it's your army... hey, the bionic mutations would seem slightly iron-warrior-esque... i dunno, it's up to you...

Now I take the opposite tack and plump for the claw/sword combo - more fitting really as NL's would probably rather do an Iron Warrior and remove the offending limb than keep it in it's gribbly mutated state; since they don't really worship Chaos but are more the classic reaver/pirate view and a bunch of Billy-No-Mates with regards to other Legions then removing any of the more obvious 'marks' of Chaos would be more acceptable both to the individual and his companions.

Besides, it'd look good. :)

I wouldn't be too worried about copyright as White Dwarf has shown plenty of Monty Python Grail armies and Evil Dead armies, but if you must change I'd say the bionic arm look, and there ought not to be a problem w/it counting as mutation (Iron Warrior possesed are really cyborgs, 'nuff said). Honestly, what would scare you? An inhuman giant swinging an massive sword with ease would scare the --- out of me.

I must say I love you're stuff so far.

As I remember nightlords do keep their mutations, but they cover them up and then show them just as they attack, to shock their opponents, and gain the upper hand. This would probably be best shown with daemonic visage, and possibly mutation.

I would go with giving him a mutated hand, if you are going for the s/c theme. The plastic dryads from the new wood elvess look like they may have something you could use.

Also go with whatever look for the sword. loads of daemon looking swords have that biological look, so you wont get sued. It just looks too cool.

Archived