Iron Warriors helmet that I made in college

Hi everone

Well before B&C went down, I'd ask for some tip of making a life size Iron Warriors helmet. It have been made & been mark that college, so I was able to take it home for a few photos.

I know about the bits of gold spray on other part & the Chaos rune are a bit flat but this was due to time & being in a rush. Any way enought talk here it is & you will soon see it in the White Dwarf (UK) once I get around to e-mailing them.

In college (Block 2) my model making course where ask to make some head gear. I chose probs & thought since this is why I am in the course (to work for GW doing somthing model/converting wise) why the hell not make a life size Iron Warriors helmet.

So after 3 months, 1 month drawing/planing the other 2 building, spent one & a half days on this per week (Thur 9am-12pm, Fri 9am - 4 pm)

So enough talking, time for the finish model that might be going into the White Dwarf once I got time to send them photos:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/ironwarriors/insane%20psycopath/DSC00190.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/ironwarriors/insane%20psycopath/DSC00191.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/ironwarriors/insane%20psycopath/DSC00192.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/ironwarriors/insane%20psycopath/DSC00194.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/ironwarriors/insane%20psycopath/DSC00195.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/ironwarriors/insane%20psycopath/DSC00196.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/ironwarriors/insane%20psycopath/DSC00197.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/ironwarriors/insane%20psycopath/DSC00198.jpg

The helmet still need some paint here & there. It was made from a moter biker helmet, the spike are made out of resin which I molded (44 small spike & 7 big spike), the chaos star is Plasticard, with bodyfiller around it, ear are plasticard as well.

Hope you enjoy

IP

My Raven Wing are full done... well built wise. Right now there on the self until I get around to repairing the odd model as well as get around to paint that last speeder squad. Also just fact I enjoy useing my Iron Warriors more than ever before (can't you tell :angry: ). But I think I'll wait until the new codex DA come out before doing much else really.

This was your project ?

Yes, my class had to make head-gear. After x-mas we had 2 month to build, paint so forth spending a day & a half per week. It was stressful & shame there a git in my course who weaste time on the spray gun. Other wise I enjoy making it & if I had more time I would do a better job.

Funky. Reminds me more of the "boba fet" Khorne helmet which is one of my fav's anyway :angry:

Nice work and its great to see other things in the PCA aside from the standard models. Very refreshing

ironloki Posted Today, 06:58 PM

Funky. Reminds me more of the "boba fet" Khorne helmet which is one of my fav's anyway

Yes, that what I base it on :angry: just all my HQ or IW trooper tend to have that type helmet (check other topic I done of my IW army). Also just long run the "T" face look, look better & save me a lot of time/trouble than doing the glass eye the Marines tend to hace. That & also vision, many people say they preffer mine over the Marine helmet my GW has, say it better to see. We had a staffer wearing it on the day i brought it to GW, just funny as he walking around saying "Aye, any you lot give me trouble, there will be a head bashing going on".

Nice work and its great to see other things in the PCA aside from the standard models. Very refreshing

Thanks, just I made a prmoise to you lot before B&C went down, I told you lot the idear I had & would try to update it, but B&C went down. Now it done & I have filled my promise.

IP

shuriken Posted Today, 12:54 PM

It's nice but it still looks distinctly like a motorbike helmet to me.

As said if I had more time then I would of done better. My block 2 of college was a short time in my eyes & we even spent the first week of Block 3 trying get this done

lotharthehuscarl Posted Today, 09:26 AM

Nice!

Thanks for the mini on the last pic. Definitely key for telling us the scale.

Thanks & yes why my Iron Warriors trooper there :cry:

John Thompson: If you mean bike (sorry been very unwell today & hard tell stuff from stuff) it maybe not the best thing. Already had someone cut them self on the spikes, that what they get for touching the model while I am trying get it ready for painting.

IP

Already had someone cut them self on the spikes, that what they get for touching the model while I am trying get it ready for painting.

I'd call that justice myself! :P

When you mess with Chaos, you going to be hurt....

Lovely thing, IP, and it does indeed make a refreshing change from models - it's one of the best 'life size' Marine projects I've seen - actually makes some of the stock GW props look rather tame.

• 2 months later...

*Obliterator give me permission*

Hi everone.

Just thought I would say, I sent some photos of this project of mine to the Uk White Dwarf, but unsure what will happen.

My Iron Warriors helmet seem to get a lot of good comment during my college end of the year show, but someone broke a few spikes. So I am not happy about that & threat anyone who i catch doing this again, well there going get a pile of resin spike in there face.

Any way, so everone seem to enjoy seeing my model that the end of the year show along with all the other project & class work. Also there a really cool Trench someone made as there finial year poject (there the class 2 year above mine) & cool thing was, I got to help him out with resin bullet.

Any way, the Iron Warriors helmet is back home as it now summer holidays (has been for 4 weeks now) so I'll try get some more photos.

Also I thought I would say what my plans are for when I do my own finial year project.

I am making a life size Iron Warriors Chaos Space Marine, yep a 9 foot model (8 foot + armour if there where real). As said this will be my finial year project in which I have 3 mounth to plan & build/paint this. My Teacher planned/advice that I start planning now just so I do get that extra time, as I only have three days in college time & four days free time, so most like I will come into college for five days a week.

The life size model will be base upon my second in command in my IW army.

Plans are

+ Make it as thought he fighting someone (if stood still look boring)

+ Have more spikes

+ have a brand new helmet made from scratch

+ Going to make better ruin of the chaos

I can not go into much detail as I not really thought about it, all I know right now is that the life size Chaos Marine will be 9 foot tall, going be lot of detail from chaos ruins, spikes & all other stuff you'd expect to see on Chaos Marines. I also plan to add scratchies & bullet holes.

Planing will not start until maybe a few weeks time, it'll just be rought drawing.

So that my plan for the future, the model I speak off will not see light until two years time. Basicly I finish my NQ course which is a year & I am starting a HND which last for two years, the finial year project in the finial three months. Also I will be getting slaves.. whoop I mean "help" from people in the NQ course who finish there work (As why I help out on the Trench said above).

I've seen - actually makes some of the stock GW props look rather tame.
I agree, my GW has a Ultrmarine helmet (got most my help from them) it is great do not get me wrong, but there not much in the way of detail. That kind of why I chosen Chaos because you could add those spikes or what ever & there so much detail. Kind why my main army is Iron Warriors, as Chaos Marine offer so much conversion. On that note, I not started to add spikes to a few of my IWs after making the model shown in this topic. Just I find Chaos offer so much.

When you mess with Chaos, you going to be hurt....

Damn right. As said above, turn out someone broken a few of the spikes which I was not to happy about. If it was not ment, then fare dues I'll let the person be. But if it was some stupit git being, well a git.... well I sad above what would happen. I spent so long on the helmet above that it was annoying to find someone broke it :angry:

So now to plan the life size Chaos Space Marine project & of course there will be photos with people standing next to it for scale reason.

IP

Greetings, fraters. Damn, IP, that's some good work there. I remember reading about this before B&C went down, and I must say, well... okay, I can't say anything. I'll just drool instead. *does so*

I am making a life size Iron Warriors Chaos Space Marine, yep a 9 foot model

:angry:

:wacko:

wha...

9-foot, that is ambition. Heh, it'd make for an interesting hallway decoration... yes, put your umbrella there, just mind the looming avatar of death incarnate. And also the china. :P So have WD replied yet? That is some sweet work you've got there, and it deserves all the recognition it can get. I'd be surprised if GW don't leap upon you, man.

In finis, omnis paeniteo ad sanctus Deus-Imperator.

Flintlock

When looking at that helmet all i can do is drool :angry: .

I am making a life size Iron Warriors Chaos Space Marine, yep a 9 foot model (8 foot + armour if there where real). As said this will be my finial year project in which I have 3 mounth to plan & build/paint this. My Teacher planned/advice that I start planning now just so I do get that extra time, as I only have three days in college time & four days free time, so most like I will come into college for five days a week.

The life size model will be base upon my second in command in my IW army.

Well that is very ambitious to say the least but from the looks of that helmet you've definitely got the skill!

pinkbunny Posted Today, 11:41 AM

NO, youve got the wrong idea, dont make a life sized model, make a suit!

Well the suit is still a "model" ;) Thje stuff you seen in Lord of the Ring are models in some fourm with the casting & what ever else. Same gose for Star wars as the stuff made out of fiber glass & other material to make it wearabile/strong for the job needed. Also I dout there no one who can wear it (high person I know 7 foot).

So have WD replied yet?

I thought I said in my last post there??? no nothing came from the WD yet ;)

That is some sweet work you've got there, and it deserves all the recognition it can get. I'd be surprised if GW don't leap upon you, man.
Well, "when" I do get a interview for GW, could plan take this along :angry: along with my painted models.

Thanks for the comments, as said ONCE the 9 foot Space Marine been made I'll post it up, but you'll have to wait two years as that when I'll be building him

Well that is very ambitious to say the least but from the looks of that helmet you've definitely got the skill!

Thanks, also from making the model you seen here, I have learnt was was easy & what was hard to make. So when time comes, I'll have a better understanding & know right away what material to use.

For exsample, the Part that run down like a mohawk (sp) the orginal plan was to have that in Plasticard, but was not working & went for Foum (sp) board with a bit of platicard & then to get the mohawk that a edge like

......____

...../........\

Just used carbody-filler, while the orginal plan was again plasticard. Just carbody-filler was just a simple put on & smoth it down (less sanding). So I'll have better knolwege for when I do this life size Chaos Space Marine.

9-foot, that is ambition. Heh, it'd make for an interesting hallway decoration... yes, put your umbrella there, just mind the looming avatar of death incarnate. And also the china

Yep that one down side is, I have no room :( That might be a point, I'll need to think of a base to add one, just so no one that the "end of year show" knock over my hard work, also mean I get to add some cool stuff like Barb-wire & could make stones/rocks out of blue foum.

IP

Looks amazing. Just one sugggestion, if you do a google search for "mandelorian", you should find people who go to star wars conventions dressed up as "Boba Fetts" they use a black special insert that fills the central gap in the helmet, so you cannot see who is underneath but you can see out (although to a limited degree). I think a finishing touch like that would really complete it. If you could find different colour inserts you could find a colour you prefer. Just an idea.......

Archived