RED SWALLOWS Chapter

An interesting read actually :P I enjoyed it quite a lot, made me think about potential paint schemes for my army. I like the thought you put into it even if i'm not the greatest fan of the final scheme. Your English isn't bad at all, don't beat yourself up. As for your trouble between you're and your, I'll try and explain it...

You're is a contracted (shortened) form of you are therefore instead of saying you are there, you can say you're there. Most times that you is followed by are you can use that.

Your shows a mark of possession, i.e. your sister.

Of course, what with English being so nice and helpfully simple, we can have constructions such as your apples are better than mine, or, when contracted, yours're better than mine. Then, unless you know what you're doing, you're screwed I'm afraid.

To be honest though, I wouldn't worry, most native English speakers don't know the difference and even fewer bother to differentiate.

Thank you.

Of course I didn't expect anyone to like the scheme. For some reason I don't like schemes with light green(s) as the main color(s).

I tried carring over some more schemes, like this one:

http://www.acecombat04.com/down/su37key_b.jpg

I failed terribly.

ATM I'm working on another one, I'll post, if anyone is interessted.

Dude, I'm 21, graduated from school long ago with English as one of my main subjects! ^^'

The problem with "you're" and "your" is not that I don't know the difference, while typing my "hands" just do it wrong. It's only a manner of time when this disappears and a new "favored fault" comes up. At some point I started thinking in English and translating into German while speaking. Talk about silly tics ...

Nevertheless thank you for the effort, it shos lot of helpfulness. :P

Since the area around the cockpit is red i whould paint the torso of the marine red as well sort of the heart and mind of the fighting machine. othere then that you have a innovative idea there good luck with it.

Grimm

There have been much worse inspirations for a chapter. The important thing is that it floats your boat. It's a nice looking scheme and will probably look good on the table. The next step is to paint up a test figure to see just how it looks in 3-D. I used the Interactive Painter to develop about 8 variants for my Storm Riders (the chapter that I'm currently working on) and then painted up test figures for the three that I liked best. In 3-D my favorite didn't really work. I don't think that will be the case for this scheme but you might find something that you want to tweak before you start in en masse on your army.

What are you using for your chapter symbol? The bird sitting on the shield would look sharp but might be hard to pull off free-hand. The bird on the left side of the shield would be easy to replicate but the shoulder pads look to be silver or lt. gray not red.

Have you given any thoughts to the type of SM force you're going to do? What traits or codex are you going to use?

Good luck and keep us up on how they're coming along.

An interesting idea for a Chapter. I like it. Keep on with it and I hope to see more as you get your chapter off the ground and into the air, so to speak.

I'm not wild about most of the schemes available for marines either, so I created my own DIY Chapter, based on the colors of savannah lions (tan and chocolate brown). I also added lots of bronze, since the chapter recruits from a bronze-age tech level world at the fringe of the eastern arm of the galaxy. I only use boltgun metal color for things that just HAVE to be 'metal' colored, like the muzzles of bolters, HBs, etc.

check out the site listed in my sig file for pics.

Again, I like the color scheme, and the inspiration for the chapter. Run with it. FLY! :)

Rymeer

Dude, I'm 21, graduated from school long ago with English as one of my main subjects! ^^'

The problem with "you're" and "your" is not that I don't know the difference, while typing my "hands" just do it wrong. It's only a manner of time when this disappears and a new "favored fault" comes up. At some point I started thinking in English and translating into German while speaking. Talk about silly tics ...

Nevertheless thank you for the effort, it shows lot of helpfulness. :lol:

I'm English and I study English as a degree :P Maybe I know a few more things about such word use than you do. If we're going to get picky, you speak American and not English :)

I'm English and I study English as a degree :P Maybe I know a few more things about such word use than you do. If we're going to get picky, you speak American and not English :)

No doubt you're better than me. But since the majority of participating members here are american people, I decided to tend to more american English. I know of differences like "boot" and "trunk", "characterise" and "charakterize". :lol:

Back to work.

Thank you, all of you. I didn't expect to have such a positive feedback.

Of course a 3D model always looks different. I won't deny that and will paint a test model.

As for the symbol ... I didn't waste any thought to thank up to now, for I might tend more to another chapter idea I had. Much more complicated scheme, thus looking even more sharp, but it would take obviously more time. But your idea, st.germaine, of copying the bird on the shield is just what I like. It shouldn't be a problem. Think of the White Scars' symbol. It's a yellow lighning with an red edge. Just logical, for yellow alone wouldn't be silhouetted enough against the white standard color. I'll use the same trick: painting a red medieval looking shield at first followed by the swallow. I did freehand Raven Guard birds before and was very pleased with the outcome, so I'm pretty optimistic regarding that. ^^

Since the inspiration was a plane's scheme and the name referres to birds, I guess I HAVE to choose the characteristics making Assault Marines elite. I'm sorry, but I don't know the correct english terms for these. I can translate the German versions literally, but I guess this might not work too properly.

Advatage: "Blessed be the warriors" (Assault Marines canbe elite choices, but have to buy "Furious Assault")

Disatvantage: "Never surrender" (opponent may chose to play one more turn after the regular amount of turns has passed)

I liked Marines before, without these characteristics, so I don't have any urge to cannibalize the opportunity of a second advantage. Along with Scouts, Land Speeders and Devastatros (and/or a Predator) this shoul dmake a fine theme army. But to be honest, close combat never lead to victory for me. Even my Tyranids will be constructed to fire at the enemy, with lots of Termagaunts as cannon fodder. Whatever.

I wonder if a Land Rider would be justified as a transport for an command squad ...

Actually I prefer your original color scheme (although I must admit when I first saw it, I thought "Spiderman" :blush: ). With a name like Red Swallows, I think you should theme your army around a fast, flying element. Lots of Land Speeders and Assault Marines, maybe use Ravenguard rules?

I have to agree with Obliterator. I like the first scheme better. And his comment about Speeders is bang on. With the trait you've picked, move all your Assault troops to Elite and take all your Fast Attack choices as Speeders. This will feel like an air assault.

That's what I was planning anyway. Apart from Forgeworld Land Speeders are the only thing close to something flying (and a Thunderhawk usually is not what I call "usual game units").

As I said, the very first posted scheme is my favorite, too. The alternative versions just feature Grimdarkness idea. The visual example makes it slightly clear that it's better having the Marines almost all-blue, even if their're named "red". The Rainbow Warriors are not that colorful either, eh? ^^'

Now that you mention it, I must admit, red, blue, white really resembles Spiedie's colors.

[edit:]

It's 4 o'lock pm here now, after the late lunch I will start painting the model.

Was just working on that Havock, heres my take. You will notice some extra stripes on the helmet and on the bolter. I have tried to emulate the pattern on the fighter. It came out a bit fuzzy for some reason ,but you will get the idea. :blush:

gallery_17264_561_17149.jpg

@Kevlarshark:

Fuzzy? Not at all. I'd paint a bolter that way, it looks cool, but there are some parts (disregarding the skull/wing/eagle) that reduce the bare space on the bolter. For my skills AND my patience this is a way too narrow room.

I'm sorry that it takes so long for the painted model. My girlfriend visited me for the half week and before that I missed Red Ink and a propper brush. But now I have restocked my equipment. The marines is half done, it just misses highlights and last details (e.g. eyes, stuff like that).

On top of that, I had to learn right a moment ago that we don't have any full batteries for the camera. That's life, I guess (thanks a lot ...).

Should the rechargeable ones not work tomorrow, I'll ask my friend to make the pictures. I'm not known for giving up that easily ...

• 2 weeks later...
And, not to speak for the mods, but I think its ok if you double post if the previous post was two weeks ago.

Not a problem in my book...

Very clean paintjob! I just love that white B) .

Yay, positive feedback. ^^ Thanks, guys.

That "white" appears whiter than in reality. I finally ended up having my best friend making the pictures and editing them (I was stunned while witnessing what "Adobe Photoshop" can do!).

He cuts the entire background, brithens the picture, increases the contrast and reduces the yellow parts in all white areas, so it won't look like Bleached Bone or else. But the slight blue touch was lost here. Nevertheless, since all the other colors are effected as well, the conrast and the appearance stays the same. I say, it resembles the real one very good.

• 2 weeks later...
Now that you mention it, I must admit, red, blue, white really resembles Spiedie's colors.

Not, of course, if you're refering to the travesty that is the new Spider outfit, the Iron Spider. But this is no place for my fanboyish ramblings.

I like the scheme, and your painting skills really complement it by being nice and clean. I'd like to see how the scheme would transfer over to a Dread and a Rhino (to just get a sense of how it would apply to a vehicle) and then perhaps a Land Speeder, which is the closest you'll really get to a fighter jet in a legal game of 40k :jaw:

If you are concerned with the "brightness' of the white, you could use fortress grey instead...

It's already a mix of Space Wolves Grey and Skull White. Pics are a a bit brighter than the actual model.

I like the scheme, and your painting skills really complement it by being nice and clean. I'd like to see how the scheme would transfer over to a Dread and a Rhino (to just get a sense of how it would apply to a vehicle) and then perhaps a Land Speeder, which is the closest you'll really get to a fighter jet in a legal game of 40k :jaw:

Oh, I'd paint the vehicles mainly blue, a few white parts and no red. Tanks are to bully to apply the scheme properly, and speeders have no "roof". That makes it really hard to apply it there, as well.

Nothing interesting, sorry to disappoint you, but vehicles always are a different thing.

And I won't make an army now, I'll go paint more chapters to test the schemes. Guess Ill open a thread like "Tjamats chaper factory" or whatever ...

An "Ignus Marine" is about to be born. But I just started and I'm so slow, it'll take me weeks again ...

• 2 months later...

After weeks it shoul dbe okay if I bring this one up again (better then opening a new one).

I started an army. Yes, really.

But I will not paint them as detailled as the one above. Exepct for the Command Squad, Captain/Chaplain, vehicles.

Here's what I started with:

Captain:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/Tjamat/cap.jpg

After an idea by my best friend. His BT Emperor's Champ looks like this, only with a Bolt Pistol and a slightly modified helmet.

Cybot#s Plasma Cannon:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/Tjamat/cyplas.jpg

The position is really good (the tubes fit great), but I have to hide the hands and therefore, THIS WILL BE MADE BETTER, since my GS is gone and I can buy some un tuesday, not sooner.

I'll start painting the Captain once I primed him ... what I'm doing now.

Archived