Index Astartes: Space Sharks
The exact founding of the Space Sharks chapter has been lost over the centuries. Though the earliest surviving records of them are from battle reports of the Styx Rebellion in 359.M34. From this information we can assume that they have been around since at least the 11th founding.
The Space Sharks were originally based on Thethys, an aquatic deathworld located in the south of Segmentum Pacificus. The chapter recruited strictly from the population of pre-bronze age tribes living on the scattered islands of the planet.
When the chapter arrived on the planet they were greeted as children of Monatoa, The Great Hunter, an anthropomorphic shark deity that was venerated by the native population. The newly formed chapter began recruiting from the islanders and elements of this primitive faith have been absorbed into the Chapter's doctrine.
The native population of Tethys were ideal recruiting material as they were remarkably free of taint. Being strong of limb and unparalleled swimmers, the recruits took well to the transformative surgeries that produce space marines.
However calamity fell upon the Chapter's beloved world. A rogue planetoid collided with the planet, leaving the chapter without a homeworld. What percentage of the native population that could be saved were taken aboard the Chapter's Fleet. The Chapter wandered for many years as a fleet based chapter.
When the Badab uprising occurred, the Space Sharks were approached with the offer of a new homeworld if they would help quash the rebellion. The Shark's agreed eagerly and set about retaking the worlds that had been captured by the rebels during the campaign. There attack was swift and vicious, world after world fell before their onslaught. In the end they were victorious, receiving the former homeworld of the Mantis Legion as their prize.
Upon taking ownership of the planet, they renamed it Thethys Secundus in memory of their lost world. Thethys Secundus has changed drastically since the Sharks took stewardship. The native population were relocated to the planet's main land mass Rabal. The rest of the world was given over to the tribes rescued from Tethys. They have returned to there primitive ways, though there time onboard the ships has changed them.
The Shark's have also changed the ecology of their new homeworld. Releasing specimens from their old home into the new ecosystem, which as can be imagined has caused some collapse in the established food chain, as new and more deadly predators overpower the established species.
The Space Sharks are widely recognized as masters of aquatic/amphibious warfare. The Combat principles under which they train focus on swift and decisive attacks on enemy shipping lines & naval assets. They also are well versed in boarding actions, securing beachheads and underwater demolition. There skills are so well known, that they are regularly approach by the Imperial Guard to train regiments taking part in actions on aquatic worlds.
The Space Sharks are only nominally a codex chapter. While they do venerate the ancient text, they do not follow it dogmatically as some chapters do. Trained to think adaptively the chapter has evolved over time to suit their preferred style of warfare.
The chapter is divided into 10 companies as most chapters are, with the 1st and 10th being reserved for veterans and scouts respectively. However the chapter does not utilize reserve companies, but instead each of the remain companies is a full battle company. The companies duties revolve between Imperial Guard training missions, regular combat duties, and guard duties on their Thethys Secundus.
The Chapter rarely utilizes bike or land speeder squadrons, preferring to rely on assault squads and armor support instead to support their furious assaults.
The Space Sharks chapter badge is a representation of their homeworld's Shark totem. Like most chapters it is worn on the left pauldron. The right pauldron shows squad affiliation, with the markings in white. Company affiliation is denoted on the right kneepad by number only. All Space Sharks adorn their helmet with a red Blood Stripe in memory of their lost homeworld and the bloody path that they followed to win their new home. Many marines wear shark tooth totems as badges of honor, especially veterans. It has also been recorded that they will paint shark mouth markings on their vehicles to unnerve their enemy.
• When being inducted into the chapter, aspirants must take a lone voyage across their homeworld's ocean and return only when they have slain one of the ferocious sharks that infest the waters. Many marines were necklaces or other totems made from the teeth of these mighty hunters. This may occur when they transition from Scout to Marine instead.
• The Space Sharks have a long standing partnership with the Adeptus Mechanicus and test aquatic gear and modifications for them. The shipyards located on Tethys Secundus are widely recognized as producing the finest aquatic war machines.
• Their original homeworld may have been infested with some unidentified xenos species. The legends of the tribes speak of the masters of the deep which were driven away or destroyed by the Sharks from the Stars. Whether this is a mere uneducated myth or fragments of an actual event is unknown.
• The Space Sharks are masters of rapid strikes and ship boarding actions. They are also one of the few chapters that train extensively for aquatic missions, and use several specially devised items. These include amphibious transports, submersible, and underwater propulsion packs for assault troops.
• Few things are as terrifying as an assault by the Space Sharks. there brutal tactics spurred by the deep rage they feel at the loss of there homeworld.
• The Space Sharks are one of the more humanitarian chapters, their dealings with the Guard regiments has given them a respect for humans and they see it as the Emperor's will that they defend them.
• Traits used are No Mercy No Respite, Blessed be the Warriors, & Eye to Eye.
• The Jump Packs of their Assault Squads have been modified to operate underwater.
• Their Fortress Monastery is a gigantic submersible starship. A relic of the Age of Strife.
• Their is an alternate chapter badge floating around that shows a shark swimming around a star. I don't care for this badge, but I didn't want to just discard it. I have decided that it is actuallu a badge/patch that is awarded to IG units that are deemed exceptionally talented by the Space Sharks traing them.
• Their Geneseed is unknown for certain, but likely candidates are IF or WS. I'm not sure if i want to go into this or not, but I thought I'd throw it in here just incase.
• Please note that I am not seeing them as the uncontollable maniacs that the Space Wolvs are, but certainly ruthless and cunning.
Here are some inspiration pieces I did for the project:
These images are mainly Veterans so are a bit to "blingy" for my current concept. I am invisioning them more rugged and no nonsense, with lot's of ammo clips, knives, and pouches, instead of gold filigree and purity seals all over the place.
So that's what I have so far. What do I need to fix besides my mediocre grammar?
-Thanks in advance for your help.
Edited by Cpt_Tiberius, 09 April 2006 - 03:14 PM.