IA: Space Sharks

Cpt_Tiberius

• 2 weeks later...

uha ! amazing, I've just read the fluff and I liked it (3 pages :D !!)

Just one suggestion : why not keep the geneseed legion secret/unrecorded ? (that's because I'm an IW player and I don't like the IF grr!!!, but BTW, it's okay :D :D )

I'm painting Space Sharks for 3 years now. My co is the 5th, captain name : Cpt Kalasa.

Go on, good job nice pictures :)

Cpt Stahl

As a fellow Space Shark fan, I'm glad you liked what I have so far. Keep an eye out as I hope to have the revised version up before the end of the week. As to the geneseed question, Just look at it as having one more chapter to add to the hit list. :P

I'm painting Space Sharks for 3 years now. My co is the 5th, captain name : Cpt Kalasa.

I'd love to see your minis, do you have a link you can PM me? (btw I saw the picture in the terminator thread and I'd looked pretty good. :P )

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about the virus. :huh: But I am excited to see your pics. If your interested here is a link to my army wips...

http://bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=91791

As for the fluff, still working on it, but it got put on the back burner until I get more of these guys painted. (almost all are primed though. :cuss )

Wow, thanks for posting!

You could use the rules for 13th company. It would give your sharks an edge in combat.

Actually I think they are pretty good as is. I wanted them to be unique, but not drastically different from a standard marine army. I prefer to rely on troop choices over rules to build a fun chapter. Thanks for the imput though, I do appreciate it. :)

nice pics,

here are some of mine :

5th co. :

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/10647YL11A/912953.jpg

Scouts :

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/10647YL11A/912964.jpg

Marines :

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/10647YL11A/912965.jpg

Commander :

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/10647YL11A/912968.jpg

Predator :

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/10647YL11A/912973.jpg

Razorback :

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/10647YL11A/912978.jpg

Tempest :

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/10647YL11A/912976.jpg

Cpt Stahl.

Hey I remember seeing these a long time ago. Seeing your tanks with shark teeth on them is what inspired me to start this project. Nice looking models, thanks for the inspiration!

Sorry, I haven't done more work on the IA recently, but I've been tied up painting my army. And to be honest, I'm an incredibly slow painter. :P But fear not!, I am still delving deep into the mysteries of the Sharks.

uuh, I'm glad I inspired you :ph34r:

don't worry, I'm working on a dev squad, but I do not have all the time I wish to complete the paint job.

Space Sharks, the growing force, they'll save Terra :) :angry: :angry:

Cpt Stahl :)

ARGH! DAMN YOU TIBERIUS! I was fairly certain of my DE purchases but you Space Sharks are sooo cool. I can hear them calling to me! Why? It's your fault I'm going to get Space Sharks instead of Dark Eldar. Curse you...but seriously awesome work on this. Love how you turned a retarded chapter into a very cool and compelling chapter.

• 3 weeks later...

Another common strategy to sharks (And I speak generally on the Great White, of whom I have always been an avid fan and have spent a lot of time studying), is to wound the prey and leave it alone. Sharks, like most animals, do not want to risk injury to themselves. For a hunter this means they are unable to hunt, or have a harder time doing so; thus, when they take a prey down they want to maximize damage while minimizing risk. This is one reason why, when a Great White attacks, it rolls its eyes back. For a split second, it is completely blind, so as to protect its eyes from thrashing prey.

Anyway, take an attack on a seal. A Great White shark will often attack at a 45 degree angle, coming up from below the seal. This minimizes the chance the seal will see it coming, as the shark speeds up tremendously just before impact, and they have been known to shoot more than 6 feet out of the water after an impact (This is pretty amazing considering the things can weigh more than a ton and are longer than a speedboat). They generally target the tail, shredding it and causing a lot of damage before swimming down a bit to wait for the seal to bleed to death. In this way it keeps itself far from the seal (Which might otherwise claw the shark or bite it to cause some harm), and when the seal dies it moves in to devour it.

As an aside, Tiberius, have you thought about implementing denticles on your Space Marines? On sharks the "teeth" on their skin works to make them very hydrodynamic (Which your marines could use), and could also be rather nasty in combat (You'll cause yourself a lot of pain if you rub a shark's skin against the grain), which your Marines could also use. In the W:tA game, with the Rokea shifting breed, they actually have the ability to use these as a weapon. The character I played often used them for a nice little throat-slit in combat.

Just a few more ideas and tidbits.

Hey Guys, thanks for the imput! Now on to the answers...

I just have to say that as the Space Wolves are my first Chapter, they are in no way frenzied or blood hungry, though they are barbaric. The Blood Angles are the uncontrollable maniacs; the Space Wolves are actually more akin to what the Space Sharks would be, as you said; ruthless and cunning. Consider how a wolf pack hunts; it is efficient and utterly ruthless, far from rabid.
Sorry I guess I worded this wrong. What I was trying to convey is that unlike the SW which have a viking/barbarian bezerker archetype to them (especially blood claws), the Sharks are more "civilized" and are more para-military/special forces oriented than "space savages". No slight was intended to the SW as I am also a huge fan, just didn't want people to assume that just because they are grey and are called Space [insert animal here] that they would act and behave like the Wolves.

Or even use their Latin names such as Captain Carcharodon Carcharias which is of course the scientific name for the Great White Shark.

I was actually thinking that to some extent. If you look in the fluff-fiction bit I wrote the Chapter Master's name is similiar to the great white latin name. THis was intentional, though at the time I wrote the piece I could not remember the exact word or how exactly it tied in to sharks, I just knew it did. Looking at it now his name may switch to Carcharius as it sounds more "40k". Have to think on that one...

Come to think of it, I would like to put my hat in the ring and name the Captain of the 7th Space Sharks Company. Captain Isurus Mako. Mako is Maori for “Blue Lightening”. Mako sharks are considered one of, if not the fastest ocean going organism in existence. Obviously the 7th will have a lot of fast attack options. And Isurus is one part of the Mako’s scientific name.
I'll add him to the list (which I guess I need to organize and post for you guys). Keep in mind that the Space sharks are only loosely "codex" and do not have reserve companies. However there is nothing wrong with loading up on fast attack choices for your army. The Sharks highly regard creative tactical thinking and allow the different captains to manage their troops as they see fit. So your captain could just be more tactically aligned with a fast attack approach. Also remember, no bikes. p.s. I didn't know that "mako" was a Maori word, that's totally B.A. :)

With regards to the tribal members that the Chapter recruits, the Maori were considered “noble savages” by the colonizing English so they would be a good real life culture to use as a study. I live in New Zealand and would be happy to help out with any queries you may have.

The Maoris are the general template I have been invisioning, however I also borrow from other polynesian cultures as well (such as hawaiian cultures). I don't feel that after 38,000 years and a trip across the stars would leave the culture unaltered, so I only loosely tie them into those cultures. As for the tattoos I had though of that, though my free hand skills aren't quite up to it. :) so I assume that they do tatoo themselves, but usually the arms/torso/legs. Though if I could pull it off I would totally do it. :)

Some even file their teeth down to resemble said sharks.
I have been thinking about this as well, though I haven't made up my mind yet.

You could even possibly have chainswords that incorporate stylized sharks teeth in their construction. You could represent this by painting the chainsword teeth in a bone or off-white scheme instead of metal.

Already on top of this one. Chainswords/fists are the main close combat weapons. ;)

I had an idea for one form of their combat doctrine. The Space Sharks will “school” or circle their prey, harassing and probing it for potential weak points but not attacking en masse.

Another common strategy to sharks (And I speak generally on the Great White, of whom I have always been an avid fan and have spent a lot of time studying), is to wound the prey and leave it alone.

Both are excellent ideas, though not exactly sure how to implement them in game. Either way they will be added to the combat doctorine for fluff's sake.

As an aside, Tiberius, have you thought about implementing denticles on your Space Marines?

Actually I had, Though not in a combat function. I had planned to state in the fluff that there undersuits' fabric mimiced shark skin allowing then to swim faster or something to that effect.

Thanks for the comments guys. I always like learning new stuff, and I've learned alot on this project. As for the current state of this project, it is in a holding pattern until atleast the middle of september as I am trying to pull together my Shark army for a local tournament early in september. I've got almost one tactical squad painted and most of the army at least base coated. Here is my Mk.6 marine...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Cpt_Tiberius/front-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Cpt_Tiberius/right-2.jpg

They look better in RL...

:)

I'll add him to the list (which I guess I need to organize and post for you guys). Keep in mind that the Space sharks are only loosely "codex" and do not have reserve companies. However there is nothing wrong with loading up on fast attack choices for your army. The Sharks highly regard creative tactical thinking and allow the different captains to manage their troops as they see fit. So your captain could just be more tactically aligned with a fast attack approach. Also remember, no bikes. p.s. I didn't know that "mako" was a Maori word, that's totally B.A.

Don’t worry Tiberius, I know the Sharks have no reserve companies; I’m not sure why I chose the 7th, probably because it was close to the 8th Scout Company and I want to collect a force that is lead by a “young” Sharks Captain. I wouldn’t think I’d go out of normal Sharks modus operandi with regards to the fast attack options, I’d probably represent the fact by maxing squads of assault marines etc.

By the way, what does “That’s totally B.A mean?”

The model is looking good. Are you going to do an experimental shark fins on the helmets?

I had a thought about painting the mouth piece/beak of the marine helment in a deep blood red as a possible honour marking? To represent personal prowess in combat. Also, what about armor decoration. Obviously shark tooth designs are a must but also what about "tattooing" the armor as well?

• 1 month later...

Hullo, I'm sorry for the thread-o-mancy, but I have to ask you a few questions relating to the colour scheme of the Space Sharks, as I plan to have one in my renegade Marine army.

The red helmet stripe - is that a company colour, or common to all members of the Chapter?

If it's not a company colour, do they designate companies by number?

Do they retain Codex markings for HQ, Tac, Dev, and Assault squads?

Finally, is their armour grey, or a very dull metal... it looks grey, everyone seems to be painting them grey, I just wanted to check.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry about corrupting a Space Shark...! :P If it makes you feel any better, my Renegades are based in the Maelstrom, and most of them fell during or after the Badab War.

Archived