IA: Space Sharks

Cpt_Tiberius

I just found out today that the Bell of Lost Souls is releasing a Badab War campaign book - you can find out more on their site.

The increased scrutiny on the Badab War Chapters will mean an increase in Badab Chapter armies - Exorcists, Marines Errant, et al - and consequently there'll be a greater level of interest in the Space Sharks. I'd like to get this done soon-ish so our interpretation is firmed up.

• 8 months later...
hey guys i actaully have a space sharks army connverted wiyth Nid bits as sharks teeth. I came up with an idea of pacific/south china sea islands and tribesm,an as well as shark hunting being a rite of passagethis is really good fluff. in my fluff the first chapter home world had a giant mayan temple as a fortress but it was destroyed when its ammo was detonated by an Ork missle. the space sharks rescued as many people as they could and immidiately got involved in the badab war where they were gifted the mantis warrioris home worldbut for me thats were the records stop. i always thought the mantis legions home world would be sort of like japan so the space sharks set out to get thier hands on ancient terraforming tech. but with your permission i would rather use yours. oh and but the way muy company is also the third wierd.

Although I neglected to read the following seven pages, I read the first,very cool concept. :P Also very cool sketches and they should be very fun to model. Just a question/suggestion. Do the sharks of their homeworld get really big? If they grew to old age and great size, it would be very cool to use their teeth as blades :) .... You could model this with nid parts as previously suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, this is my post on the B&C an I just wanted to say I love this idea. I am starting a SM army and was thinking of playing the Space Sharks. As I researched the chapter, I found this thread and am in love with the idea. Thus I have decided to play the Space Sharks. So what companies are still availeble? I was wanting to be the seventh or ninth but I am a little confused. Earliar it was stated that none of the companies are reserve but someone else just said that two of them are, so could someone clarify that for me? Thanks guys.

---Ghaust Mortium

• 4 months later...

kia ora(hello in Maori)

Hi there, first I love the work you guys have put in to it,(especially the drawings) I thought I was the only one interested in the Space Sharks :P

I'm a long time SW player and after the new SW codex I wanted to start a new SM army since the SW codex lacks some units not found in theirs(storm landspeeder,Master of the forge, e.a.)

and I wanted to play with those units and didn't want to go rogue and paint them in my SW colour sheme

so I was looking for another chapter to adopt. problem was that al of the other chapters where a bit dull in my eyes, fluff wise and collouring wise, except for IF. But after the 10th or so attempt

of finding a fast way to paint a IF marine to my liking , I abandoned this idea and searched WH books and the internet for something new I've always had my eye on the revilers as a backup if IF would fail

(cuz i likes the grey)but instead went for Eagle wariors(blue/white), but they too took to much time in paintig them. And so the search went on actually, back to my revilers back up plan. But there was just one thing that bugged me,....their chapter logo!, I'm not into skulls that much. but than it happened! searching thrue the net I found this cool looking logo and whatta ya know, them boys is grey and they have a cool

looking logo, and so the choice was made. Actually a very odd choice since I have a Shark fobia.I mean, I even turn away when I see them at TV. those things scare the hell outta me. Funny, when you come to think of it.

But there it is.

I have my own thoughts on the Ss, although I like the IA made sofar. In my eyes these guys are the masters of rapid deployment and fast assault so they would make lots of use of Drop pods, Speeders, bikes

and Rhino's and lot's of use of scouts especially in combination with storm speeders. I can already see them jumping out of the speeders into the water with their improved scout armor with built in scuba.

Bikes would be a good choice for these guys since they are easy to transport and easy to deploy.

Anyways I'm still looking for a nice army list to make so I can start painting.

I have a first WIP already.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/Stilsgar/Ss2b.jpg

I still am struggling on the chapter and squad markings though, I'm not shure what to do so I'm doing more research on that, but I'm very happy with the base colouring.

It was mentioned before, the Shark Teeth necklaces, I intent to add them to most of the marines,because just a grey paintjob and some shark markings don't give me enough of that tribal feeling of the Ss,

in my opinion it adds just a little more to it with those shark teeth.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys.

Have previously been following this thread, forgot my log in tho so needed a new sign in!

Anyway, my space sharks army is currently being built, finally!

Showed what i had to a bunch of people at local GW, one of the staffers recognised the chapter badge and said "one of the future forgeworld books is gonna be badab war, so you never know, might get some sharks pad or something"

a glimer of hope we're not forgotten...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just spotted this thread and it reminded me of an old idea. Unless memory fails me, the lungs of a marine are capable of breathing water for short times, and their armor allows them to survive for much longer. I could completely see a Space marine chapter like the space sharks constructing their fortress monastery on the sea floor. Imagine the marines rising from the ocean on the night of a full moon to judge their initiates. Those judged worthy are given re-breathers and taken down into the depths of the sea, forbidden to set their eyes on the stars again unless they have become full fledged marines. The unlucky ones, however, are never seen again.

It was a cool idea, feel free to use it.

• 3 months later...

Well it looks like Forge World has thrown the proverbial wrench into the hard work of so many Space Shark Fans like myself. Seems that in part 2 of their Badab War book, aka Imperial Armor Volume 10, they have re-imagined the chapter and now it is called the Carcharodons. No red stripe on the helm, and a side view of a shark in light gray on a dark gray shoulder pad. Still seem wicked cool and the hero model sports lightning claws mixed with chain fists in a unique way. They favor rapid attack, surprise assaults and deeply enjoy close combat regardless of squad type. The Carcharodons are old school ruthless and one of the terminator armored marines pictured clearly shows south pacific tribal style markings on his knee pad and leg plates. Tybreos, the Red Wake, is the Hero model in question Forge World

Here is another link to the information above.

Forge World

They say the Adeptus Astartes and the Space Marines are the same thing.

I never saw anything saying the Space Sharks are the Charcarodons. :)

They identified their Chapter as that of the Carcharodon Astra, using the ancient form (or Space Sharks to give their name a more modern rendition in Low Gothic)...

Printer's error.

There is always:

Addendum: There is some evidence to suggest that the Fire Angels as a Chapter may not be the first to hold their name and livery, either in whole or in part; a circumstance which while unusual is not without precedent in the history of the Adeptus Astartes. This problem leads to some confusion as to the provenance of battle honours, and mention of Space Marine units bearing similar titles or derivations of name (rendered both in High and Low Gothic as well as various Administratum vox-compt scripts) that exist in numerous records contradicting the information presented here. This is a problem to which almost no Chapter's record is immune. Such data 'ghosts' are a constant source of difficulty in an Imperium whose incalculable and cyclopean breadth and depth seems only exceeded by the quill-strokes needed to record it by countless hands.

+

In the general course of the Imperium's histories, or the order of battle of it's military might, the Carcharodons have no real official existence in recent history. They simply feature nowhere within the open record, and likewise the Chapter has no known officially recorded battle honours. While further confusion is evident based on potential mis-identification with other lesser-known Chapters operating with similar nomenclature and symbology (re:'Void Reapers', 'Blood Sharks', etc).

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, you have inspired me and made a new Space Sharks fan (or Charcadons, whatever)

I know many of the companies are already spoken for but I couldn't resist brainstorming the 4th company, aka the "Bull Sharks" led by the fearsome Captain Leucas (Bull Shark : Charcharhinus leucas). Cpt Leucas is known for his aggressiveness and brutality even among a Chapter well known for the same.

I spent all day yesterday reading the posts created by you all in regards to the Space Sharks and have to say its been quite a while since I have been this inspired and excited. I thank you all!

From another Shark in the Tank,

BloodWulf

also here are some other Latin Names for shark just for kicks, oh and btw the top 3 man eater sharks are :Great White, Tiger and Bull Sharks...

Tiger Shark - Galeocerdo cuvier

Leopard Shark - Triakis semifasciata

Thresher Shark - Alopias vulpinus (which actually means fox shark)

Mako Shark - Isurus oxyrinchus

Blue Shark - Prionace glauca

Whale Shark - Rhincodon typus

Hammerhead Shark - Sphyrna mokarran

Goblin Shark - Mitsukurina owstoni

Lemon Shark - Negaprion brevirostris

I've worked up a quick color scheme that I like. It combines the schemes of the Carcharodons and the Space Sharks. it is quite different from others that I have painted so I think it will be fun! I only want to have just a touch of red to break up the greys. I will paint the teeth of the Chainswords a bone color and see how that looks. I need to restock my paints before I can really get started though.

spacemarine.jpg

This thread alone is what convinced me that the Badab chapters are the best in the game.

I mean, they were so interesting and had variation and different cultural influences! Sure they were goofy ... but they can be modernised just like you guys are doing here!

Look at those Carcharodons! Boring! They're just applied a layer of Grimdark Varnish thicker than my Grandma's glasses over a perfectly original and interesting concept for a chapter. The 40k universe, official canon-wise, is boring these days because everything is the most miserable and unhappy version of whatever it is ... and every event ends in the most horrible way. The concept of a balmy tropics/pacific ocean planet in 40k is mind-bendingly refreshing.

Yes, I signed up JUST to say that.

Also - how would one reflect shark-tooth necklaces on the models without using really detailed greenstuff modelling? Same goes for the fins on their helmets.

• 5 months later...

Archived