Marines Malevolent massive updates!

Thanks for the info

next question, can you do a tutorial on how to do those faces please.

i mean i thought they were good in the previous pics but the close ups are amazing, they have loads of character.

painting flesh is one of my weak points.

OK, here's how I painted the faces:

• White undercoat
  • 1-2 layers of Tanned Flesh, slightly thinned to give some bonus-shading
  • A thin wash of standard Flesh Wash, to deepen the shadows.
  • Paint the first broad highlight ion the face using 1:1 Tanned Flesh:Elf Flesh (or another light skintone), leave the deep shadows
  • Add more elf flesh to the mix and apply thinned and increasingly smaller highlights to raised areas.
  • Final highlight was elf flesh with a smudge of white.
  • At this pont I brought out inks again; the entire face was glazed with a very thin mix of flesh wash, red and brown
  • The areas around the eyes and some scarring where glazed with purple ink, the lips also got some of this
  • At this point I painted the hair, I went back at the end with the final flesh-highlight and added the very fine scalp-scars
  • Finally, I painted the eyes. I started with some thinned black paint, then added the whites and finally the pupils in black. I turned the mini upside-down when painting the left eyes, to avoid getting the nose in the way. I made sure to paint a black rim to mark the upper eye-lashes, this should touch the pupil if you want to avoid the infamous goggle/fried eggs-syndrome -> :blush:

Picture again, for reference:

http://flesheaters.net/mm/minis/060409_termi/faces.jpg

As everyone has said awsome work there!!

I have one small question and that is, is there a difference between glazing and inking?? If so what is that difference!!??

Cheers,

AR

1. Inking = has no defined meaning that I know of
  2. Ink wash = paint a layer of ink over a painted surface, thus creating a shadow-effect. The ink can be watered-down or not, there should be some surface-breaking liquid added (eg washing-up liquid or even better some acrylic floor polish or flow enhancer)
  3. Ink glaze = paint an extremely dilluted (at least 10:1) ink wash over a painted area to enrichen the original colours and/or bring them together. EG a yellow ink glaze over a red or green area will make the red/green POP, a blueish glaze over skin will make you look sick or cold etc.

Some very nicely painted stuff there Desmodus, but i must ask how long do you usually

spent painting a single model? speed painting takes me forever so i'm guessing you must

spent quite some time getting them perfect or as good as.

OK, here's how I painted the faces:

* White undercoat

* 1-2 layers of Tanned Flesh, slightly thinned to give some bonus-shading

* A thin wash of standard Flesh Wash, to deepen the shadows.

* Paint the first broad highlight ion the face using 1:1 Tanned Flesh:Elf Flesh (or another light skintone), leave the deep shadows

* Add more elf flesh to the mix and apply thinned and increasingly smaller highlights to raised areas.

* Final highlight was elf flesh with a smudge of white.

* At this pont I brought out inks again; the entire face was glazed with a very thin mix of flesh wash, red and brown

* The areas around the eyes and some scarring where glazed with purple ink, the lips also got some of this

* At this point I painted the hair, I went back at the end with the final flesh-highlight and added the very fine scalp-scars

* Finally, I painted the eyes. I started with some thinned black paint, then added the whites and finally the pupils in black. I turned the mini upside-down when painting the left eyes, to avoid getting the nose in the way. I made sure to paint a black rim to mark the upper eye-lashes, this should touch the pupil if you want to avoid the infamous goggle/fried eggs-syndrome

I'll have to try out this technique just to see how long & time consuming it is :wink:

Great stuff mate!

Nick :blush:

I'm Oding on all the goodness. Like everyone else has stated absolutley stunning. And yes the head/faces are my favorite. They are jumping off the page. I'll try that stubble recipe for the faces on some of my minis.

On inks and glazes:

Inks: A very thin pigmented translucent medium. When applied it has a tendency to pool in the recesses. Where the ink pools it produces a more opaque color application.

Glaze: A very thin pigmented translucent medium. (Notice the similarity??) When applied, it may pool in the recesses as well. The difference lies in the fact that the pooling does not result in a more opaque color application. In order to produce a more opaque application, you must apply successive layers.

Both types of paint are comercially available (although GW currently only produces inks).

-Adam

Cool, thanks alot for the inking and glazing advice!

I assume the 10:1 is water:ink? Do you use a small amount of washing up liquid to break surface tension or do you have a special way to do that?

Cheers,

Ar

The assumption is correct, the exact ratio needs experimenting with though. The mix should be clear/transparent with just a hint of colour in it.

I use Acrylic Floor Polish as a surface-breaker, it's the best:

FFF - Future Floor Finish. An acryllic floor wax, known as "Klear" in the UK, and as "Klarpolish" in Scandinavia. Used as a thinning, washing, and glazing medium when mixed with water (usually 1 part FFF to 2 or 3 parts water)

Archived