Boltman's Lustwing

Boltman

Alright, here are some pictures of my squad, which is turning out very hard to photograph accurately for some reason. They are very large close-ups, it took a lot of guts to post pictures that make them look so rough, but it's the only way to see some of the Freehand on them, that's 20 wailing faces per teminator. Somehow the color is extremely hard to photograph accurately, as with most moddels seeing them live, and not under Gamesday lighting, makes all the difference. This squad won Bronze in 40k squad at GD LA 2006, the toughest category this year in the eyes of many, and also a very controversial year regarding jugement. All I'll say is that there was realy great stuff out there and the podium only shows so much. I went for originality and new designs, but the judge had no interest in conversions.

The Slaneesh Chaos terminator armor is my own desing of course and I'm quite proud of how unique and huge they turned out, about 30% larger than regular imperial wussies. Yes, it is INSANE :lol: work to make 6 identical models, but I wanted a special squad. This year my goal was : No NMM. I sorely miss the acrobatics that can be pulled off with NMM and I will be retunring to it on my next larger projects.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Boltman78/Lustwing/45e36c85.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Boltman78/Lustwing/34658742.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Boltman78/Lustwing/T5a.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Boltman78/Lustwing/T6aaok.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Boltman78/Lustwing/T6b.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Boltman78/Lustwing/T1aaok.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Boltman78/Lustwing/T1bok.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Boltman78/Lustwing/T3bok.jpg

Boltman

+++ Edit: oversized picture turned into a link, please refer the forum rules for more information +++

Excellent Stuff as always Vincent.

Sorry to see you won Bronze, but being in the toughest categorey is pretty difficult when your up against Commander Y and Tim Holly.

Hmm I love the squad very Slaneesh-like and the faces look menacing, probably took you ages to do them eh?

Hmm I really do agree with you on the rough photos because the black and some parts of each of the models seem rough dont know why but as you stated the photos make them look rough so yeah.

But anyways I dont see anything thats wrong with them...so end comment.

Keep it up as always.

Vtraxx Out

Great stuff there mate! :lol: Though your metal might be improved, might try inking it, needs some more shading. With inks you can do wonders with real metalics. Look for the dude online, don't have his website, his name is Jakob Neilson...

..I really love the freehand...

..want to see more of your NMM its just brilliant!

Im really liking the loook of these guys... only thing i could say that i dont like would be the faces, Just seems too cartoonish to me :lol:

Otherwise i love the purple, conversions, freehand and the swords.

Very nice work overrall and i agree with you, im sure they look 100% cooler in real life, even tho they are preety smashing atm

Gazgrub

OH they've been inked with 3 layers of green, black and burple., the rehilighted to brighted the edges. The pictures just don't show it as I had to fidle with brightness to get the faces to come out. Almost seems like they are alive and won't just show up for anybody... :lol: The black is also terrible on these pictures, again due to picture tampering. You guys are making me feel like taking them down, foolish me for posting such Hyperlarge close-ups...

Boltman

I know the feeling, my camera does that to sometimes :s I do a glaze of water downed Chaos Black (not black ink), then a mix of brown and purple inks watered down, followed by a highlight retouch of mith silver. To get different metals you do differnt amouns of purple or brown. Really fun to experiment with. :lol:

Thank you for posting these. The originality is amazing. Many times I see great conversions with poor paintjobs or vice versa. Per usual you excel at both.

These are incredibly inventive and very inspirational.

Finally, some clear shots!...

I'd like to hear about the creative process you went through for those guys. They're quite unique and original - first time I see such Terminators and they're beautiful and very appropriate for Slaanesh. This is the graphic designer speech kicking in... Slaanesh is in some ways connected with the element of water. Water represents sensuality and emotions. Fins, blue and purple, ichthyomorphic (word of the day!) features... just like a certain aquatic predator. Shark... that's what these psychotic killers look like. Quite fitting.

So 10 points for the conversion.

Faces painted on the armour, Face shaped Power Fist plate, Screaming Gargoyle Faces on the weapons... there's definitely a theme going on here... :lol: And that's good. It's interesting to notice that the naked women/angel on the left Shoulder Pads sorts of look like a Slaanesh symbol...

Very subtle and intelligent work... and not something you can see by looking at those models for just a few minutes while you're being wowed by their general appearance...

The bases bring a nice contrast to the composition, especially the ones with rusted metal components. Excellent treatment on those elements.

Excellent blendings on the banner also. And the pose of the Chosen in your first pic, the one with the clenched fist aggressively aimed forward... awesome.

Well, since this is supposed to be a constructive criticism, those last lines were the flowers... here's the pot... :)

Metal... a very daring attempt considering that the style you mastered is NMM. I find this to be the Achilles' heel of your Slaanesh Terminators. Looking at all those freehand faces and subtle hues, I can't help but find that the metallic areas are lacking a certain depth. This comment does not apply to the rusted metallic parts lying on the base though.

Secondly, the faces and arm emerging from the banner. The sculpting could've been smoother... longer ligaments stretched behind the daemonette features... As it is, they look like they were just glued in place with just a little bit of green stuff added for good measure.

Overall, those are totally kick ass models and the pics are going straight into my "inspiration folder" along with the rest of your creations. It is truly inspiring to see your work and thanks for that.

I absolutely admire your patience and techinque with the brush. You have an ability to blend paint that most won't ever achieve. That said, I think aside from picture crumminess/difficulties you're having, theres one thing that I would critique. And thats your sculpting work. Its evident that while you have ability in the area, you don't quite feel as comfortable with GS as you do with your brush. It lacks a lot of the finesse and finer detail you can see in some of the master sculpters conversions. That isn't to say you don't seem to have the creativity or ability to get that done. You can still tell where areas a hand-sculpted and where they begin and end without much though. That to me, is usually a giveaway that it still needs working. It should all feel like a single fluid model if you've really done your job. Does that make sense at all? I mean it only in the most positively reinforcing way I can say it.

Your models are typically stunning, and I think it can be easy for others to shy away from giving you any criticism in light of your past accomplishments. And I know, personally as a hobbyist and a career visual artist, the best thing you can often receive is criticism. At least of the constructive variety. :-) Compliments don't hurt too much though... Thanks tons for sharing as usual, and a definite congratulations on the award. Well deserved without a doubt.

Stunning... and a very brave diversion from your trademark SENMM - a PM is on the way. Thanks for posting the large pics too! - I am sure those "that know" can appreciate just how georgeous these minis must look "in the flesh" so to speak. Awsome... how many hours pray?

The more I look at them the more I can hear Slaanesh speaking to me ... which is not a good thing since I've sold almost all my chaos stuff ! Really nice models. My favourite parts : the lighting effect on the twin blades, the free hand faces (obviously) and the naked angels on their left shoulder pads ! Superb !

Congrats on the Bronze, although I know it's not what you wanted. :)

I really like the purple and azur parts, they go very well together and are as would be expected painted to an extremely high standard.

I think I know where you got the idea for the daemonette standard. ;) Well done.

Now for the hopefully constructive criticism. ^_^

I too think that the metals look rather bland compared to the rest of the minis. Maybe it's just the pics like you said but still.

Parts of the design is damn awesome, but I don't really like the helmets, they lack expression and I miss the typical Slaaneshi voxmouths.

My favorite detail is the twin-bladed power sword, very cool, fits the theme like a glove. :tu:

Some nice work there, when I first looked at them I thought humm their quite nice, but the more you look at them, the better they become, It must be the lure of Slannesh! Great work.

++ Edit ++ as an example I just had another look an noticed the daemonic faces on the armour, great stuff. ++ Edit ++

I

Excellent stuff. The purple looks good, and I love the faces.

The standard is great, and has given me an idea on how I can do some work for my own chaos squads.

The close up photo's probably dont do your sculpting or metalic work any justice, and as many people have already added copmments on this I wont add any more. However is it possible to put a few pictures of the whole squad in a single shot, and not so close up. I dont know about anybody else but I like to see all the figures in context with the rest of the squad.

And one final question, a little of topic, but if your going back to NMM next year, how about a grey knight squad? I think doing a full squad of NMM armour would look awsome with your style (not something I think I'll be atempting).

Whoa. If the pics are not that great, how good are they in real-life? Those models are amazing. Really inspirational for my EC army. The heads and the power swords are pretty cool. The sculpting on the shoulder pads is also a good way to cover up the cross.

Great work boltman.

Did you use the Obliterators or the new Plastic Termies for the Slneesh guys. Just the legs seem to be Obliterators????? Also what have you use for the heads????

Also as said the Daemon Prince of Nrugle turned out really well.

Are you still planning on the Death Guard/Nrugle army?????

IP

Stunning work. I especially like the little things such as the faces within the armour. Almost reminds me of the faces that stripedog(I think?) did on his rhino and dread. Going to have to save these pics and use them for inspiration on my own Termies.

Im not a fan of the faces though. They look a bit cartoony but then again im a fan of going for the Iron Warriors helmets.

But very inspiring, as usual :tu:

Archived