Boltman's Lustwing

Boltman

:lol: :) :P :lol:

Those are great! I'd really like to know english better to let you know how amazing they are for me!!!

the blue blades (nobody noticed them?) look real! can I ask you to write a tutorial on their colours?

I'm heading to the GW site to look at what was 1st and 2nd place, they must be unbeliaveble if you got 3rd place...

RE

Those are absolutely amazing, sir. The faces and the armor blow me away. You made those yourself? Hmm I suppose that's a good thing, I can't try to emulate those wonderful pieces and fail ;). I'm shocked at how you got judged, those are great pieces.

Those are absolutely amazing, sir. The faces and the armor blow me away. You made those yourself? Hmm I suppose that's a good thing, I can't try to emulate those wonderful pieces and fail ;). I'm shocked at how you got judged, those are great pieces.

Once again some nice work there.

the blending on the armor is amazing.

its a shame that the metals dont show properly as i would like to have seen what your current level is right now. I aplaud people that try new things.

Maybe i can give you a small tip for your photography skills:

your picture right now looks like it is in need of a difuse filter. this is actually very simple to make. take a bit of plastic which is not a 100 percent clear (sandwich bags will do fine) and put these in front of the light source. the plastic will difuse the light making the metal less spectacular (shiney) looking.

this is what i mean:

http://high5.net/pr/diggie/diffuus_filter.jpg

please try this and come back with some proper pics as i am very interested to see how the metal really looks.....

cheers TJ

;) Hmmm....if you paint in the so-called NMM you have all of those NMM haters coming out and saying you should paint in metallics because as they say, all they see is yellows and grays. So being the masterful painter that you are, you paint some models in those sparkling little metal flaked metallics and the people come out of the woodworks saying that the metalics lack depth....when from what I see you have done extremely well once again. Can you say that you can not win sometimes. I don't know about you, but I find it to be rather tiresome, when the majority of people can not even come close to painting to your level.

Enough of that rant....I must say I like what you have done, they are very good looking, excellent conversions, excellent paint. Glad you continue to push yourself to inspire someone like me. And thank you for sharing these fine models.

They are very nice, I have to say, but I think what kept you from a gold is (IMO) the heads. They are well done, and fit the theme, but I think the judges may have felt they were too un-40k-ish. Just my 0.02 :unsure:

About the use of metallics: I actually much prefer metallic paints to NMM, but on the other hand you're pretty much the only one who has done NMM that I've like... so my point is... none I guess. Do whatever you want :blush:

Having yet to see the other two top entries, I have to say that those are still some of the best minis I have seen in a massive while...since the last time I saw something of yours or Commander Y's come to think of it. My respect for your skills has gone up yet another notch. You pull something like that out...after a change in style... and after a massive change in color palet? And then you have the gall to say you're not an artist? Please don't make me come find you and beat you with your own models...They're much to pretty to do that to. :blink:

You sir, are an artist. Could your sculpting use some work? Possibly, I honestly don't know. But I do know it's roads and roads better than my skills. In closing, you have produced some very beautiful models. Please continue with your most excellent work, both to expand your own skills, and to give the rest of us something to strive for.

Ghostwolf out...

I can definately see how the adjustments in the photo for the freehanding made the blacks and metals look like poo. Trying to photograph metallics and subtle normal colors is always a pain in the butt. That being said, and only looking at the freehand and sculpting, these are fantastic. The faces are great, and that blue is striking. Really the perfect accent color for that violet color of the armor with those gems and swords.

Were the swords your own sculpts out of Plasticard, or is that double-tined broadsword from somewhere else?

Boltman stop complaining about the quality of your pictures.Look what GW made: http://gamesday.us.games-workshop.com/Game...mon/winners.htm

As far as I know they have a good photographer. So the quality of the US GW pix has to change somewhere between postprocessing and online publishing. I have not seen any US WD for years but dothe GD pictures look there the same. Most of the detail shots look like the US painters don't thin their paints. Do they change the pictures to gifs and back again and then finish it off by using some make picture look like paint was not thinned Photoshop filter?

Boltman stop complaining about the quality of your pictures.Look what GW made: http://gamesday.us.games-workshop.com/Game...mon/winners.htm

As far as I know they have a good photographer. So the quality of the US GW pix has to change somewhere between postprocessing and online publishing. I have not seen any US WD for years but dothe GD pictures look there the same. Most of the detail shots look like the US painters don't thin their paints. Do they change the pictures to gifs and back again and then finish it off by using some make picture look like paint was not thinned Photoshop filter?

Do my eyes deceive me, or do I see DECALS!?!? on the Gold Large Model Winner? I swear I see decals on the arms of the dreadnaught for the Winged-I and the Honor banner and the Book&Sword. If they are, who was lazy enough that they didn't see the non-trimmed edges of the decals obviously standing out against the blended greys of the arms while judging?

The un-thinned-paint look comes from when they shoot with a digital camera, and use too many megapixels with too much of a zoom. even something that looks smooth when examined closely will look grainy like that when you go and render it with enough pixels that a 1-1/2" tall model now covers 20 inches at print size. And then when they process it for web, they shrink the canvas size down, go to change formats, and that creates interpolating problems when you've got to average out a .5mm space that covers 50 pixels, which leads to the look you see. I found that out with my own work, when I would take a shot of something, and go "where did those lousy blends come from? I can hold it in my hand and it looks smooth!"

Actually necroncrisis, my name is spelled out correct! And on the first try, that's a first!

Dirty Steve did a good job with the pics actually, because at the event taking pics is very hard, and to show the freehand is not easy either. Metallics and black take a toll, but on some pics you can tell I blended black hilights, and not simply line it with 2 shades of grey... ;) :P

The Grey knights dread I inspected and I do not remember if it was decals or not. The back of the legs, unseen on the GW pics, showed the author must have been pressed for time as it was not as nice as the front.

I know it's not my best paintjob but you must see the project as a whole. They're my own sculpted desing, I had to make 6 of them, of course making a single mini would have been nicer than 6. But there is only so much time. It was a gruelling process and I'm glad it's over, and I can get back to my multiple army projects. Next year we'll see about doing some more GD, but I'm running back to NMM's open arms like the prodigal son... real metallics for armies, NMM for display is what I prefer. But I will experiment some more on real metallics.

Boltman

Okay, okay, we all know that the lustwing termies are the best things since spice racks. What I want to know is where the hell I can find pictures of your DG? I mean we get a taste of them and then, POW, b&c goes down. When if finally does come back, we're looking at Boltman's NEXT army. The DG have been done since November and I never got to see them!

It sounds like you don't consider them you best work, but come on! For us DG players, give us a taste, would ya?

The swords were made with Plasticard equivalent, using a template to cut out basic shape then carving the edges etc.

The deathguard, well I don't really have much pictures taken, as they are mostly drybrushed models. I painted all the troopers in 3 weeks ;) . The Land Raider, predator (Walking Deathknight) and Demon Prince are nicer though. I've already posted pics of the Deathknight, the Land Raider I should get off my bum and post some, and the Demon Prince I may re-enter in a future event, so it stays quiet.

The thing is, they really are nothing like 2-300+ hour paintjobs with flashy NMM, and the bar has been set high, it's very hard for me to do anything you'd find impressive, unless I spend hundreds of hours on it and use techniques I am familiar with. I think it is important to experiment with new things and get out of your ''comfort zone'', but the steps taken to get there are not as impressive. Everyone expects a lot from me, and most of the Deathguard would not have anyone learn anything from my results, so I shy away. The nicer DG stuff has been posted or will be, in time...

And the other stuff I made is not Power armored... Neither are my next 2 army plans either...

Boltman

Archived