Boltman's Lustwing

Boltman

The thing is, they really are nothing like 2-300+ hour paintjobs with flashy NMM, and the bar has been set high, it's very hard for me to do anything you'd find impressive, unless I spend hundreds of hours on it and use techniques I am familiar with. I think it is important to experiment with new things and get out of your ''comfort zone'', but the steps taken to get there are not as impressive. Everyone expects a lot from me, and most of the Deathguard would not have anyone learn anything from my results, so I shy away. The nicer DG stuff has been posted or will be, in time...

And the other stuff I made is not Power armored... Neither are my next 2 army plans either...

Boltman

I can understand that, but if I was you I wouldn't really care, as your army will probably still be better than 95% of the people out there. Love to see the DG and the non-power armored stuff. And if people can't understand the difference between tabletop and display, then they don't know jack and are not worth listening to their moaning. I just did a beastman army and it was a great experiment in addition to experience painting something other than SMs.

• 2 months later...

Hey Vincent, great work at this years LAGD. It was nice meeting you breifly at the Tau vs. Iguard table that I was working. I still can't believe your DG Demon Prince didn't place...oh well I guess thats why they call it a contest right. I really liked your Open entry. Was that supposed to be an Epic Titan or just a really big Dread? Anyways, keep up the excellent work your stuff continues to be inspiring. I hope to see you at LAGD again someday. Oh BTW the Lustwing rocked! Your right, you hit the rust perfectly, if fact when I first saw the squad I said wow the rust is awesome and oh, btw there are models on top of it. The faces coming out of the armour were perfect...unbelievalbe job!

Later,

Aaron

I can understand that, but if I was you I wouldn't really care, as your army will probably still be better than 95% of the people out there. Love to see the DG and the non-power armored stuff. And if people can't understand the difference between tabletop and display, then they don't know jack and are not worth listening to their moaning. I just did a beastman army and it was a great experiment in addition to experience painting something other than SMs.

I second this!!

First Khorne.

Then Nurgle and Slaanesh.

I'm getting the feeling that there needs to be a BIG BAD

undivided Chaos Lord to help tie everything together..... :D

What happened to Tzeentch :D . Maybe even some 'falling apart' rubric marines. I'm sure rubric marines wouldn't stop fighting if the majority of their leg fell off and they could probably still use the detached foot...

I love them except for the helms. Everything else is amazing I just hate the helmets for some reason ;)

As mentioned previously, the sculpting is a bit rough, but great none the less.

same goes for the painting, it is amazing esp. for the goals set for this squad, but it is not as good as most of your other works.

(I feel bad for saying that because i am no where near the painter or sculptor you are)

Thanks one again for the inspiration,

I hope to aspire to become a Worthy golden demon contestant one day

Everything is perfect, perfect and perfect- I see you were greatly inspired by The Yellow One!

Except the metals, they (I'm sorry to say) ruin the amazing looking pinkish armour because their dark, gritty look don't go with the nice clean bright pink armour. Please please please do NMM on your future models, it's the only way to paint super realistic effects on models.

Oh, and I almost can't tell which parts are converted, simply fawless!

Please please please do NMM on your future models, it's the only way to paint super realistic effects on models.
Personally I would object to that, since with NMM you never quite know what parts should be metallic and not. :P

I, for one, applaud the move to proper metallics. It is my opinion that NMM, when seen in person, looks like utter balls more often than not, even when done well.

The only time NMM ever looks better than real metals, in my opinion, is when photographed, and even then it's hit-and-miss.

Please do not listen to the freaks and infidels* of this board, Boltman- Metallics are the way to go, and while they don't generally photograph well, I can see that yours have much potential. Your freehand work is, as ever, exceptional, though it is nice for me as a relatively unexceptional painter (I'm not bad by any means, and I'm certainly proud of my armies, but now and then I see things that put my finest works to shame) to see that even GD winners have trouble with sculpting sometimes :D

I also understand fully your reasons for not wishing to show your Death Guard. I've spent all my painting time for upwards of a week painting single figures before, when I want a model to look exactly right: And the last time I did any squad-painting, I got twenty-odd Assault Marines and a Predator up to a "tabletop standard" in that time. I still regard them as works in progress, they're that messy...

I'm probably gonna end up showing them anyway, though. Maybe after I "finish" them...

Seriously, though, fantastic freehand work, and don't give up on the metallics! Admittedly they can take as much effort as NMM (sometimes more) to get "perfect" for the character models, and they don't always photograph well, but in person, they are far far better in my opinion than any other method of representing metals.

*P.S- may not actually be freaks or infidels. but they disagree with me, so it comes to the same thing B)

Archived