New Space Wolf Codex

wisey1986

That was from my Website, and the article was about the Codex Space Wolves Revision Project (CSWRP) here on the forum. We voted on options and put together that list, as well as some Special Characters.

Thanks for reposting it wraith_scout.

I hear quite a few people wondering why I say only 0-1 Blood Claws, so I figured I'd explain the method to my madness.

Blood Claws are new recruits. They've been brought to the Fang for displaying valor and ferocity in the battle field and have been deemed worthy for consideration of the ranks of Fenris...that is if they make it through the process, and as most are aware, not all make it due to dying on the table or succumbing to the Wulfen curse, or worse.

Compare them to the military. As a whole, only a small portion are composed of recruits. Therefore, the bulk of the 12 Great Companies are Grey Hunters; veteran of decades and even ceturies of battle. Those who have excelled move up to Scouts or Wolf Guard, and those who have been around for countless centuries, still lusting for battle yet not wanting to wade through the politicalness of Wolf Lords lay waste with heavy weapons as Long Fangs. Yes, we also have Iron Priests, Wolf Priests, and Rune Priests, but they're chosen differently...

And that's why I think there should be a limit on Blood Claws in a Company...if anything, no more than one BC squad per two GH squads.

Again, just my opinion.

I've thought about it, and changed my outlook on that subject. I had originally wanted MORE BC's because it made a kind of sense to me that they would suffer many losses, and only those smart and tough enough to survive being "weeded out" would become the next crop of GH's. But you people have turned my thinking around. I"ve come to believe that it might just be a better system to reverse it, with BC's being a smaller, more dynamic addition to the solid core of GH's. BUT, I think the BC's would need a bit more tweaking to better fulfill that role. Assault Troops typically are very "niche" oriented with specific roles that they excel at, but BC's are a bit less powerful. I hesitate to say it, but perhaps Furious Charge would be a good way to go, but with the stipulation that if an IC joins them, on a successful Ld Test, they can be used as normal. This would actually give a reason for Ld, a stat that is pretty much useless in the game as things stand now.

If you remember how the SW have there army set up as from the BC all the way up to the Long Fangs. The BC is the largest group. When they gain experince the pack moves up together up to GH. A course the BC will lose some of there members along the way. When the GH gain more experince and become older they far into LF. Also along the way some will go to the scouts and some might get pick for Wolf Guard. The ones who become WG; they might be pick to lead that company.

While BC squads are larger, there are more GH hunter squads. Thus, as the fluff states, Grey Hunters make up the bulk of any company composition.

My guesstimate would probably be 3 GH packs to every one Blood Claw pack, with those suffering heavy losses dipping as low as 2 GH: 1 BC and those who aren't recruiting at 5 GH: 1 BC.

Although not the BEST way to go about it, they could make Grey Hunters 1+ and Blood Claws 0-1 in the next codex. Now as i said, it isnt the BEST way, but it does make things a bit fairer and more fluff abiding.

Plus isnt 1 pack of 10-15 BCs enough for most people?!?! ^_^

0-1 is far too restrictive in my opinion, maybe 2gh squads per bc squad or, and this is at the most extreme 0-1 bloodclaw squad AND 0-1 of either bikers or jump packers. these options would limit the no. of bcs and hopefully increase the no. of ghs without being toooooooooooooo restrictive

with what you just said the BC are not the lowestof the space wolves. What I like to see is the cost of the BC with jump packs lower then what they are now. Also make it 0-1 for the BC /w jump packs. Remember that GH would be like tactical marines in other chapters. Also why don't we also think about adding more powers for the rune priest. I have a copy of what powers people would like to have from here before the redone. I will make the post after some one post.

This is true, considering alot of SW players already obey a minimum 1:1 ratio of GH to BC and like to adhere closely to the fluff-lines. Although i think the 1+ on the Grey Hunters should be there, since recent armies, seem to be doing this random "enforcement" on a 1+. Although not PA-related, observations of the new Tau codex had a '1+' in several locations. Although it wont stop some of the 75% based BC armies, at least it wont be a 100% BC army :)

Otherwise, for us fluffy players, it isnt a big concern in the end anyway :lol:

Forcing the player to have one Grey Hunter squad for each Bloodclaw squad is a good was to restrict Bloodclaws in my opinion. That's the tradeoff for them being available as troops and not Fast Attack.

Leman Russ tank: I always thought it was a very cheap excuse that that Space Wolves get one of these because the tank is named after the Space Wolves' primarch. That's a IG tank, build for 'little humans' without power armour and doesn't fit in any Space Marines army fighting style. Rapid strike force and a slow battle tank don't mix. Even in crusades like on Armageddon Space Marines are used different. I Never liked the excuse (the name is Leman Russ so we give them one, duh... I've seen more reason in soap-operas).

Something like the the loyalist traists would be nice. Probably still very restricted, otherwise the armies would be too balanceable and look to much like a normal Space Marine force. The traits could be based around historic events. The one time when the Fang was attacked and Bjorn had to lead the defense (collapsing tunnels and doing more fun stuff) because the Great Wolf was killed by some Chaos

Forcing the player to have one Grey Hunter squad for each Bloodclaw squad is a good was to restrict Bloodclaws in my opinion. That's the tradeoff for them being available as troops and not Fast Attack.

Leman Russ tank: I always thought it was a very cheap excuse that that Space Wolves get one of these because the tank is named after the Space Wolves' primarch. That's a IG tank, build for 'little humans' without power armour and doesn't fit in any Space Marines army fighting style. Rapid strike force and a slow battle tank don't mix. Even in crusades like on Armageddon Space Marines are used different. I Never liked the excuse (the name is Leman Russ so we give them one, duh... I've seen more reason in soap-operas).

What? Space marine scouts arent fast attack.... why would blood claws be? And dont give me that "their really assault marines in disguise" stuff. ALL Space wolves are assault marines in disguise. Frankly why should there be any restriction on the number of blood claws? If you have the models, field them. I saw a force once that had five Bloodclaw packs, all with WG, and the mandatory GH pack, and two of long fangs. Some rhinos, and a dready... Why on earth? Because the fluff of the battle said it was a training ground. These were the raw recruits... and the chaos marines had decided to hit them early and take out the chapters future when they were still vulnerable. It was a great battle... lots of character, and very close.

As for the Leman Russ... The space wolves, more than any other marine chapter, have stories of great last stands and times when they "Held the pass". The LRE is great at that... absolutely magnificient. To slow on the move you say? Thank the emperor for our Thunderhawks, for without them all our training would be for naught.

There shouldnt be ANYthing we have to lose in the new codex... maybe a new unit if were lucky and something fluffy is found, but nothing should be removed at this point. Some shuffling around would do it well... some points value changes yes.... but otherwise the book is great as it stands.

Dont fix what aint broke.

Your right, we should not lose anything at all. In my opion I think we should have some of the special charetors from the first few codexs. If you have notice that the other chapters are now able to have Ven Dreads like us. But the one thing that we will still have over the others is their talent or power. If our fast attack group, I would like them to lower the cost of the jump packs. Right now our jump packs cost as much as our bikes do, while others are lower then ours.

The ruin preist needs to have better powers to. Here a copy of the powers from this site a while ago:

1) fangs of the storm:

the rune priest calls upon the spirits of the storm to hurl bolts of lightning at his foes.

Barrage 3

24inch range

s4 ap4 blast

causes pinning

2) Fang of the storm:

the rune priest can bring the energy of the storms into his very being, releasing a bolt of lightning that may smite his foes, and those near them.

12inch range

s5

ap5

if target is killed, any model within 3 inches (chosen by attacker) will also be hit. This continues until no models in range or 4 models killed.

3) Cry of the wolf:

the rune priest lets out a chilling howl before he charges and all enemy units within 12" fight at -1 to their ws

(I just thought though that he should be able to do it at any point, and instead of -1 ws make it -1 initiative. just ideas though)

4)"wind of Fenris":

flamer template S5 no AP

(simple, yet effective. could even be given the "causes pinning" because its like a flamer template but freezing cold)

5) giant kegs falling from the sky:

the rune priest, when he believes that some chaotic foe may keep him from some beer, may call upon the powers of...I don

Grey Mage and wraith_scout: It's not about losing something. I don't like that is was just added in third edition. I don't like it for fluff and aesthetical reasons, that has nothng todowiththe rules. It just doesn't fit in my opinion. And wraith_scout you don't need to repost your list of Rune Priest powers as some form of retaliation :blush:. Reading it once (on the last page) is enough.

A new codex should be balanced and cleaned, just crying "Gimme this, gimme that" won't result in a balanced codex. There has to be some sort of limit even if the kitbash codex that exists today is underpowered in comparison to Codex Space Marines. That doesn't change the fact that too many ideas for improvement without a tradeoff just sound like a christmas wishlist. It's a game, not a "My army has a better codex book than yours competition".

I just think it would be really cool if they support the line the way they do with the Black Templars- sell us add on sprues. I'd really like to make a more veteran Grey Hunter Pack with lots of wolf tails, pelts, and such. As well as having lots of tanks with wolf pelts all over them with the matching doors ^_^ I guess I'll have to wait for some time for that to happen...

I do wonder if GW will update the SW sprue. Personally I think it is good but it need some more stuff on it like more backpacks (IMO one of the best things on the sprue). But I do hope that there will be a SW vehicle doors. Not the FW ones though. They tend to look cartoonish.

Given that the BT have their own tank sprue and even the SoB have their own tank spure, Id say it would be highly probable that the SW and the remaining Marine chapters will get specific add-ons for marines and vehicles alike. I agree that the SW sprue doesnt need alot extra to it atm (as long as the next sprue doesnt come with anything LESS), but we'll see, since the SW material is still a few years off as it is.

the space wolves spue is going to be a farely large spue... its going to need to cover the Grey Hunters and Blood claws and even Wolf guard terminators too. Not to Mention the scouts too.

I just want all assault weapons on the spue! :D

Grey Mage, the scenario you described sounds like fun and is an excellent way to field a bung of BC! I might even talk to my Chaos friend about playing that....do you have the details? I imagine that the SW is all troop based. Did the Chaos player deep strike?

I'm not sure if I said this, but I think having the Iron Priest be an either/or HQ/Elite would be a nice move.

I was reading the Codex last night thinking of other things that would be nice if they were changed. One thing is bumping the number of scouts to at least 8, if not 10. Another thing that had me thinking was Blood Fued. It would be nice if it was changed to "preferred enemy" (DA and 1k Sons). I mean we're the ones who were wronged, we're the ones with the grudge, so I don't see why they should also hit on a 3+.

Well the Thousand Sons have a good reason to hit back on a 3+, after all the Wolves tried to kill every single one of them AND their homeworld, so they have good reason to be a tad bit more than just "upset". So technically it should be more of the TS having the grudge against the SW for doing what they did.

the DA/SW thing, to be honest, I dont think it will come back, as its going to be one of the only 'preferred enemy' choices that arent well ideally against the enemy. For them, although the DA started it, it well and trully became a mutual thing, so once again it isnt a case of its purely a Wolves dislike of the Dark Angels.

Blood Fued still works, and if it gets changed to preferred enemy, then so be it (which isnt a big leap anyway, more of standardising rules with the current system) but I dont think it should be a purely Wolves only thing (this coming from a person who has 1. a DA army, 2. a SW army and 3. a TS army)....

Angelus is correct. We went to Prospero and put a big hurtin on the TSons. Some could debate that the attack occurred on not so concrete pretenses since the TSons were warning the Emperor. However, don't forget that the TSons repaid the favor and attacked Fenris. In short, I think there is plenty of reasoning to hit on 3's for both sides.

I don't like the DA hit on 3. I prefer the fluff to be more of a strong friendly rivalry... wrestling, fisticuffs games, drinking games, general competitive behavior which may get out of hand. But if they are attacked by the same enemy they will defend each other as fiercely as if they were their own chapter brothers. I could see more a hit on 3/blood feud with the Ultramarines, and the Herectus/Malleus orders of the inquisition. There should be plenty of animosity, especially with the Inquisition.

Point made, however, I consider 1K Sons (troops) to be sorcerous constructs, so I wouldn't think they would have any feelings or animosity...they just trudge along, shoot, and swing back when assaulted. but I guess you can't say, "only 1k Sons' lords or champs can hit back at 3+..."

Anyhoo, does anyone else think our scout units should be a little larger?

Archived