An amazing dread from france 2006

Raziellycas

I've just surfed the golden demon unofficial site and I've see a dread truly amazing. Its assault cannon is the best I ever seen I must :ph34r: it eheheh anyway this is the link of the page. Spend some minutes to see each other miniatures and remains :jaw:

PS) It's a strange site sometimes the links doesn't work, try open it more than one times.

The assault cannon is nice but doesn't quite scream Adeptus Astartes to me. Although it is an Ancient dread and they should be unique in some way. I would love to see different angles of the pic, the one shown on the main page makes the arm look over-sized almost ape like. It reminds me too much of warmachine or battletech rather than 40k. The paint job is amazing though and it would definitely look unique on the table. Thanks for the link.

I don't like all the model itself but I must admit that it's an unusual dread conversion and I love the strange things that the people bring out from his hat ^__^ anyway for me the assault cannon it's very cool

Pardon my O.T., but it seemed better than a whole new thread: This lady's another winner shown on that site, but I can't figure out where her cranium is from. Can I get a hand (or a head)? :ph34r:

BTW, the dreaddie rocks... it's weird, but I would shudder to see that charging me from the other end of the table.

A very well painted dreadnought that makes the Ultramarines colours look dark, brooding and gothic, which I like.

However, as has already been said the conversion is not my thing. I too think venerabl edreads should be unique looking and I have one o rmaybe 2 dreads to convert for my slow burning converted marine force but that doesnt say dread to me in the slightest.

Ok, its been built around a dread which is a least a start. I find that dreads look like they cant walk and I will probably put spacers in to boost a dreads height for this army to make them look a bit more plausible, yet that has the aesthetics from any of a number robot based media but ti is far flung from the squat power house that are the dreads that marines use.

The powerfist is closest to that of an Ork weapon if it has to fit into 40k but really it is more akin to something from Gundam or similar and the assault cannon, although it looks like a minigun or some such in 40k that is translated into 'burst cannon' which also doesn't do anything much to reinforce the space marine look.

Well converted and exceptionally well paint but with no consideration given to aesthetics or background of 40k in general. And, Im sorry to say, this is a Warhammer 40k painting challenge and I feel that shouldnt have been nearly as highly praised seeing as they say they look at how well each entry fits within the 40k universe as well.

Kudos to the Yellow One his painting is normally of a high quality but more often than not I find his stuff slightly at odds to the 40k universe. Each to their own though. I can't help but feel that by the looks of things he would be more happy with the, admittedly superb, Bandai Gundam kits.

Just my opinion(s) though :ph34r:

Rich

Pardon my O.T., but it seemed better than a whole new thread: This lady's another winner shown on that site, but I can't figure out where her cranium is from. Can I get a hand (or a head)? :ph34r:

BTW, the dreaddie rocks... it's weird, but I would shudder to see that charging me from the other end of the table.

It's Lelith Hesperax (Dark Eldar) (link to GW online store).

More pictures of the ultramarines dreadnough:

Ancient Vasoudaeva - ultramarines venerable dreadnought

Ancient Vasoudaeva - venerable dreadnought details

Ancient Vasoudaeva more closeups

Hopefully this will work, this time.

Links to my DIY chapter picture page on Yahoo. My Venerable Brother Dreadnought. Created, built, assembled, and painted by my good friend and co-conspirator, Chuck. Enjoy Frater.

Ven Dreadnought as seen at Chicago Games Day.

Venerable Dreadnought as seen at local Bunker

Hopefully these work.

Rymeer

BTW: Frater, this is a total scratch-built venerable dreadnought. NOT forgeworld or GW. SOME parts came from various GW sources (engine stacks, banner, helmet, etc), but the rest is all scratch-built. Even the AC is scratch-built from aluminum tube, and the DCCW is all plastic rod, tube, and sheet stock. Only the Heavy Flamer being a GW kit part.

I actually really like it, it is dark gothic looking and it has much more style than the gw dreads it looks like it could actually function not like the normal ones, and you guys are criticising a dread that would be the interpretation of the converter and painter i mean it could be like 10 000 years old how would we know what theyre supposed to look like it could be a forgotten variant of the standard dread i mean come on its fantastic

It looks more like a knight (and space marines don't have knights as we all know ;)) and the left 'hand' looks a bit strange, but it is technically VERY nice. I'd love seeing a knight household in that style :blink:

It's interesting to note that both the gold and silver winner uses an earthshaker though. I smell a conspiracy :wacko:

The paint job is great & gothic, but the model itself shouldn't have been allowed for the fact the legs & arms are from toys. Think Spawn, Heavy Gear, & ZOE models were used. Which if I believe is the last ruling I heard you had to have either 50% or 75% GW parts & no other copyrighted items.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

This is why Im not a fan of a lot of the GD stuff from the continent; it just doesn't seem like GW. It really does feel like a lot of the painters just wish GW were producing minis for random Anime shows or other mini companies(Ill scream if I see one more GW model painted in the same style as the Rackham minis, all NMM and blending but no soul).

It is a great modeling and paint job, but does anyone else think it looks like a big metal treant?? its arm is quite gangley.....

I agree. The modelling is pretty good, but a lot does appear to be from other model lines as already pointed out. Im not sure about the helm, as it looks like something out of Judge Dredd, and as you say the arm just doesnt look right. Its far away from the body and high in the air, making it look ungainly.

A much better paint job than I could pull off, so maybe not an undeserving winner.

This is why Im not a fan of a lot of the GD stuff from the continent; it just doesn't seem like GW. It really does feel like a lot of the painters just wish GW were producing minis for random Anime shows or other mini companies(Ill scream if I see one more GW model painted in the same style as the Rackham minis, all NMM and blending but no soul).
Have you seen some of the newer Rackham painted miniatures? Or are you basing your definition of 'Rackham style' on how people who don't work for Rackham paint their miniatures. Because from what I see the Rackham style consists of textures and not smooth blending. The NMM part is true but GW painter have used NMM for a long time (probably longer than Rackham even exists) just not on every miniature. And where in the GW paint jobs do you see soul. These miniatures are painted for packaging and pictures. With enough contrast to work on the box. I know that it's your opinion but it looks like a generalisation in my opinion.

Archived